Starstruck

Stalking and Waking Up

Catherine groaned as she flopped down on the couch next to Shannon in the hospital waiting room. Catherine wasn’t just Shannon’s stylist, she was one of her best friends. “So I don’t know too much about your new friend.” She said.

“He’s a hockey player.”

“That’s about as much as TMZ told me about him.”

After a few taps phone she opened her mouth, “Sidney Crosby. Centerman and captain of the Pittsburgh Penguins. He’s five feet and eleven inches tall. He shoots the puck with his left hand, but writes with is right. He is Canadian.”

“You’re insane.” Shannon rolled her eyes.

“I pride myself on it.” Catherine said. “Oh look, here’s a video of his jaw getting broken!”

“Catherine, chill!”

“Don’t tell me you don’t want to see it.” Catherine rolled her eyes.

“I don’t.” She looked down at her phone.

“Woah!” Catherine exclaimed. “That looks so painful!” Shannon was a little curious. She leaned over and watched the tape.

“Oh!” She covered her mouth. “Thats awful!”

“I knew you couldn't resist it.” Catherine smiled.

“How about funny moments next?” Catherine clicked on the next video. “He’s cute.”

“I feel so creepy.” Shannon moaned as she covered her eyes.

“It nothing different from stalking a Facebook page.” She replied. “Woah, he speaks French.”

“Thats cute.” Shannon smiled. “He’s cute.”

“What is he even doing here?”

“Ms. Burns,” a lady at the desk called, “Mr. Crosby can have guests now.”

“Thank you.” She said to the lady. She looked back at Catherine “It’s a long story that ends with an injury and a surgeon here that can fix it.” Shannon replied. “Now please stop stalking him and let’s go!”
......................................................................................

Sidney’s eyes fluttered as he woke up from his surgery. He looked around the room. It took him a few seconds to remember where he was. He tried to sit up, but his shoulder hurt when he tried.

“The nurse said not to do that.” Sidney heard someone say. He tried to sit up to see who it was. “Don’t do that.” It was Shannon. She walked over and placed her hand on his chest. “The nurse is going to come put a sling on in a minute and then you can move around all you want.” She smiled. “Okay?”

“Alright.” He nodded. “I didn’t expect to see you here.”

“I was in the neighborhood.”

“He’s alive!” Catherine said as she walked through the door.

“Um, who is this?” Sidney asked as he tried to sit up. Shannon raised her eyebrow at him. “Sorry.” He sat back down.

“Its Catherine.” She replied. “My stylist.”

“Nice to meet you.” Sidney waved with his good arm. The nurse walked into the room.

“Okay, honey, I’m Alicia. I’m just gonna put that arm of yours in a sling, and you will be good to go!” She was older and heavier, and had dark hair and dark eyes. She looked around at Shannon and Catherine. “Shannon Burns!” She exclaimed. “I never thought I’d see you in my hospital! Hoped I’d never have to at least.” She laughed. Shannon smiled.

“Yeah me too.” Shannon said. The nurse walked over to the left side of Sidney’s bed.

“This might hurt.” The nurse smiled as she lifted his arm. “Wow, Shannon, my daughter loves you! She was talking’ about you this morning.” Sidney grimaced as the nurse moved his shoulder into the right place for the sling.

“Awesome!” Shannon smiled. She gave Sidney a sympathetic look before she turned around and reached for her purse. She pulled out a small picture of herself. She had made a habit of keeping a few for emergencies. She signed it like she did most of her autographs, “XOXO Shannon Burns”

The nurse helped Sidney sit up. He grimaced one more time as she tightened the straps on his sling. “There we go.” She smiled. “Keep the dressing on the stitches for four days. Come back in ten to have them taken out. Okay?”

“Got it.” Sidney said. “And thanks.” He shook Alicia’s hand.

“Here,” Shannon walked over and handed Alicia the picture, “give this to your daughter.”

“Thank you so much!” She pulled Shannon in for a hug. “She’ll love it. I’ve got to run now. Ten days, Sidney!” She called as she walked out.

“Sit down.” Sidney said as he patted a spot next to him on the bed. “We still have to wait for them to bring some paperwork.” Shannon got butterflies as sat down next to him on the bed.

“So I learned another Canadian word on How I Met Your Mother last night.” Shannon smiled.

“Oh really?” Sidney asked. “And what is it?”

“Hoser!” Sidney rolled his eyes.

“The only people who say that are Americans mocking Canadiens.” He smiled.

“Oh well,” she replied, “I tried.” Sidney shrugged with one shoulder. There was a pause in the conversation.

“I like this.” Sidney pointed to the neon yellow trim around the collar of her white t shirt. “My team color. Your black pants too.”

“Black and neon yellow?” She asked.

“Not neon, but yellow.” He smiled.

“Awesome!” Catherine said from across the room. “I picked everything out for her.”

“Good job.” Sidney smiled, but Shannon turned and gave her a look.

“Well, I think I’ll go pull the car around and wait for you guys!” Catherine winked at Shannon. “Sidney, we can bring you home if you need it.”

“That would actually be awesome.” He replied.

“Alrighty then.” Catherine turned and walked out of the room.

“So you can’t pick out your own clothes.” Sidney shook his head sarcastically.

“No.” Shannon replied. “I just choose not to shop for myself all the time. So she does it for me.”

“Nice.” Sidney said. Shannon played idly with a piece of her hair.

“So how do you feel?” She asked.

“Little sore, and a lot tired.” He said.

“Understandable.” Shannon replied.

“Thanks for coming over.” Sidney shifted closer and put his arm around her. Shannon smiled up at him.

“It was Catherine’s idea.”