I Can't Save You From Yourself

The Catcher in the Rye

My last two days in LA, had gone quickly. Quicker then I'd liked but the weekend was enjoyable, anyways.

The following days I had talked with my aunt about a lot of different things. And she was very sneaky, to say the very least. My parents went out to the car to look for my moms diabetic stuff. Leaving me and my aunt Casey alone. The second the door closed she leapt on me like a cat and mouse.

“So, are there any cute guys there at East Bay high?” she asked, cocking a eyebrow suggestively. Though she should probably know how transparent she was being. I looked at her in a stunned state for a minute. Trying to find a way to flounder or just avoid the question all together. But the way she pursed her lips told me that no such action would be available.

I sighed and played with a strand of my brown hair “No not really. There are more stuck up jocks then the actual genuine guys.” I said out loud, hoping she'd catch gist of the fact I don't want to discuss my poor dating life. But instead, she decided to dig deeper.

“Oh common, Chris! That's a big school. Surely there is someone there you like.”

I dusted her hand off my shoulder dismissively. "Actually, Rodeo's highschool is very... Very small. Like, 300+ small."

She scoffed and rolled her eyes. I could swear that my aunt Casey is more of a teenager herself than I am right now. And my aunt Casey is the same age as my mom, actually two years older. So you'd think she'd be the adult right now, but you'd also be dead wrong. I looked at her for a long moment before shrugging. Leaving The question open ended. She smiled slyly.

“Okay, sure. Anyways how is school?” she asked. I was grateful for the change of subject, but she was well known for coming back around again in search of real answers rather then shrugs and nods. Because in this case, action does not speak louder then words.

“Good, uh actually I got an A plus on a test in history.” I said merely for something to drive us farther from the boy subject. She nodded slowly 

“Well that's good.”

I nodded too “Yes, it is.” 

“But your sure about there being no gu— hey guys.” my aunt called to my parents, who just walked through her door. Aunt Casey tossed me a warning look that'd we would be back to our conversation again the second they were gone and we were alone. And with that, she did. So I was happy when she could no longer pester me about it when we visited her early Monday morning.

Mom said I'd have to catch second period of school because I'd be late. She also said that she would explain to the principle. I would just rather not go to school at all. It was six in the morning on Monday. And we were just leaving LA for Rodeo. I slept most of the way, having not stayed up too long to read. Even though I was totally psyched about a book my aunt had given to me. She said it was a old one, and I was almost done with my Stephan King book, given that I'd already read Romeo & Juliet. Let's just say I have no idea how that depressing story made it into my Grandma's top five favorite books...

I woke when my mom called to me. I already had all my text books with me from LA, so I was ready for school and wouldn't even get to see home for a few hours. I sighed and climbed out of my parents car. They waved goodbye as I stumbled drunkenly towards the school. Still half in my sleepy state, and praying that I wouldn't humiliate myself by running into a wall or something. Everyone's lunch break had just begun. So I'd get a half hour to wake myself up.

I stumbled down the empty halls to where the cafeteria teemed with life. I walked as normally as I could towards my empty table, I'd already eaten lunch with my parents, I could just sit and read for a bit. I pulled out my book and studied the red cover for a minute. Aunt Casey promised it was a good one, so I decided to give it a chance. I opened it to chapter one. Already lost within the story after a few paragraphs. I was so enveloped in the story that I hadn't heard my name being called. My head snapped up to attention at the second one.

“Chrissy.” Billie laughed, he was standing fairly close and I'm honestly surprised I hadn't noticed him there before.

“Catcher in the Rye?” he asked with genuine surprise. Sitting down next to me at the table. He still reeked of alcohol and cigarettes.

I nodded, in fear I'd stutter again and he'd call me out on it.

He smiled and chuckled again. “That is my favorite book.”

I rose my eyebrows “It must be good then.”

He nodded thoughtfully “Yes, it is.” 

I looked down at the pages for something to do, but didn't read it. Rather, I looked past the words that were blurring to me.

He stood up suddenly “I had better go get my stuff for history... See you later.” he turned and headed out the doors that lead to parking lot. I already knew what he meant by that...

My suspicions were confirmed. Fifteen minutes later I was on my way to history, where amazingly he had beaten me there today. He looked up at me briefly as I passed him on the way to my desk. His eyes glazed and he was in his giggly mood. I avoided eye contact with him and settled for getting out my finished homework and setting it on my desk top while he began doodling on his desk

I don't know why I watched him with such odd fascination as he drew various things on the smooth wood surface. Mr. Varner walked in and pushed his glasses farther up on his nose in surprise that we were all actually there before him and none late. He looked down at the finished pile of homework on my desk with some weird look of wonder in his eyes as he began the class.

Billie was all grins throughout the hour and was too busy passing notes to Mike at the back of class. But only when Mr. Varner had his back to us, writing down something on the chalk board. That's when Billie'd whip out a pencil and go to work scribbling down words and tossing it over his head to a girl with braces behind him to begin the delivery to his best friend. Then, without looking over my shoulder, I could tell that it had reached it's destination because I could hear Mike suppressing laughter three rows behind me. I rolled my eyes and began to write down notes again. However, before they could do much else, Mr. Varner turned around the second I felt a wadded up piece of paper hit the back of my head.

The room fell eerily silent.

“Mr. Armstrong, Mr. Pritchard, to the principles office.”

Billie giggled. “Ha, wha?... I'm not going to go talk to the fatass.” his face became very serious.

Mr. Varner's eyes narrowed. “Now.”

Billie grumbled and lazily stumbled to his feet, waiting by the door until Mike caught up with him. While I was suppressing laughter, I carried on peacefully with my notes.

When I got home after school, the house was peacefully quiet. I was all alone. So I went and got a glass of water from the kitchen and proceeded to my bedroom upstairs. I flopped happily onto my mattress. My parents had been so sweet to put my suitcases into my room. I got up briefly to stretch and change into some comfy sweatpants. Versus the jeans I was wearing now, those sounded much more comfy. 

After that however, I did not go into my afternoon nap that I was craving then and there. All sprawled out across my bed looking up at the ceiling. Instead I leaned over the edge of the bed and grabbed my backpack strap and pulled it up onto the bed. Opening it up and fishing out my text books. I sighed and went to work on my homework, not without my mind racing elsewhere of course.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited 8/10/2015