I Can't Save You From Yourself

Every Rebel Has Their Beginnings

I sat in the comfortable silence of his car for a few more moments before glancing over at his blank, unreadable face. He watched the road carefully, which was the most observant I'd ever seen him.

“My parents aren't home.” I said, taking notice of how their car wasn't back in the drive yet. Then I realized how I'd phrased it... I groaned and threw my head back against the headrest, mentally slapping myself for that 'smooth' move. When really, in reality it was rough as sandpaper and a blind hobo could have made a better pass than that. Not that I was hitting on him or anything.

His eyes were dark and guarded as he looked over at me as if to be sure he had heard me correctly, a smirk appeared on his face, illuminated by the dashboard lights.

“And? What's that all about? Don't you know your not supposed to tell a stranger your alone?” He smirked, trying to appear dangerous.

“But you're not a stranger.” I objected.

He snorted as pulled a joint out of a plastic bag he had just fished out from under the seat.
“I am actually, because you know nothing about me. Haven't you noticed how reserved I am around you?” he chuckled as he lit it and inhaled deeply.

I suppose he was right. Now that he pointed out how obvious that was, he hadn't told me anything about himself. He'd always turned it around so the question was directed at me. I am such an open book...

I dropped my eyes and pretended to have interest in a stray string at the bottom of my shirt and being indifferent. Though I was watching him out of the corner of my eye. I don't know what I was expecting him to do or whatever.

“You want to watch a movie?” he asked suddenly, breaking the uncomfortable silence casually.

“Uh sure...” I stuttered and slowly climbed out of the car trying to get my mind straight. What the hell was I doing exactly? Letting some random dude into my house while my parents are not home and I hardly know him. Good thing he parked along the curb and not the drive... Dammit.

I stood on the porch and fumbled with my keys with shaky fingers until he eventually just took them and did it himself. My cheeks turned pink due to my incapabilities, and swept into the foyer before he could see the light crimson residing on my cheeks. I gestured towards the general direction of the living room and told him to pick something out while I snuck off to the kitchen to physically slap myself for all the dumb shit I've done tonight. Mom and dad would ground me for life for numerous reasons if they had the slightest glimpse of what I'd done tonight.

I'm supposed to be the sweet little girl who is quiet and reserved and only speaks when is spoken to and does everything she is asked. Obeying every house rule my parents have ever set for me. I think I've broken a nice chunk of them just by letting Billie even be here. I palmed my face and let out a loud sigh when the kitchen light flipped on and I was surrounded by a sudden burst of light. I spun around to see Billie. Standing warily in the corridor.

“Everything ok?” he smirked walking past me and pulpit open the fridge. Fishing out a Bud Light from the six pack on the second shelf. Which is typically my dads when he has one on the weekends. Though I'm sure tonight he has drank enough to fill out for the next six months. He snapped the lid and turned to face me. Pushing himself up onto the counter as his makeshift seat. He grinned cheekily at me while he took a sip.

“So?...” he inquired.

I stuttered. Of course... “I- uh, I'm fine.” I was quick about it then pried the subject off of me by asking if he'd like any popcorn. He nodded and pushes himself off the counter and walked off to the living room to view the opening credits of his movie of choice. I followed soon after with a hot bag of popcorn and instead of a beer in hand like Billie had, I brought a Pepsi. Setting the hot bag in his lap just to see him squeal in surprise about it. His head spinning around to spot me snickering behind the couch. I climbed over it and sat on the left side while he sat on the right. 

I had no idea what movie he had chose until it progressed to be Jurassic Park. 

“So what is your favorite color?” he asked suddenly. I hadn't expected that out of him at all... Let alone any conversation from him. It was supposed to be a 'movie viewing without benefits'. We both watch the movie, snack and drink, but do not speak to each other, and treat one another like the other is not there.

“Green.” I answered too quickly and once again wanted to slap myself.

He laughed “Mmm, green. The color of many things I love. Money, plants, and the color of a freshly rolled joint, ain't nothing like it. Mmm hmm.” he stated matter-of-factly. I groaned in disgust.

“What's yours?” I asked to be polite.

He shrugged and thought about it for a second “I like a lot of colors. Except for orange. You will never see me wear orange.” he laughed “But my favorite is probably... I don't know, black?” he shrugged again and took another drink of beer.

I nodded “What kind of music do you like?”

He smirked “Now there little lady, you asked me the wrong question. Because I, I can go on foe hours about the music I like. So you tell me what kind of music you like.” he said it cheekily while poking me with a lot of enthusiasm. I pursed my lips and leaned further against the arm of the couch.

“Grungy punk bands.” I answer nonchalantly while looking at the screen where a man is getting mauled by a t-Rex, thrown up into the air and snapped in two with one bite.

“Oh really?” he asked in real surprise. Scooting up on the couch to a more serious slouch.

I nodded, trying to concentrate, but he seemed to want to do the opposite, and learn every fact about my life.

“I fucking love those kind of bands.” he said with an enthused tone, laughing in agreement.

Y'know I don't think we even watched the movie after that. We just were wrapped up talking about musical interests for the remaining two hours of the movie.

“Holy crap. It's one in the morning.” he laughed and threw back the remainder of root beer. He'd ran out of real beer long ago but I refused to let him have any more because I know my dad will notice if two are gone. And he'll go straight to questioning me. So Billie moved onto the next best thing, and so far he has already put down two cans of root beer.

I got up and cleaned up dishes and put away stuff. Turing off the TV just as headlights flashed across the front windows and we both froze. So I think Billie knew that he didn't belong. 

“Crap!” I hissed and grabbed his wrist and dashed up the staircase to my room pulling him with me, trying to put as many steps between us and the foyer as I could before my parents unlocked the front door and came in.

The second floor was bathed in complete darkness, and I used my memory to navigate the halls to the window that overlooked the front yard. My parent's car was parked, and they were heading for the front door in a tipsy mood. I turned and dashed for my room, yanking Billie with me, and darted in and shut the door and hauled him towards the balcony doors, stopping for a moment, I pulled them open and pushed him out onto the small balcony. He turned to look at me in confusion.

“I'll be back for you in five. Don't move or try to leave!” I hissed at his black silhouette. He nodded once and I shut the doors behind me and jumped discreetly into bed. Pulling the covers up to my nose as I heard my bedroom door crack open and my mom peeked in and saw me asleep. I knew she believed it when she hissed at my dad to come look at how 'peaceful' I looked in my sleep. When really my heart was beating so fast it could carve a hole through my chest because a certain boy who is disliked by my parents is hiding on my balcony. I kept very still though and kept my eyelids from fluttering until I heard the door shut behind them and my moms giggles trailing down the hall to the staircase.

Then I dashed out of bed and tiptoed across the floor and opened the porch door and grabbed him by the collar of his shirt and yanked him in.

“Ohh, feisty tonight aren't we?” he chuckled in the darkness while I paced my bedroom floor quietly trying to figure out how I'd sneak him out.

I cut a glance at him “You wish.” I replied and carried on pacing. There is no way to get him out of the house unnoticed unless he could miraculously survive a fall off of a two story balcony...

I shook my head slowly “I'm not sure how we are going to get you out of here.”

“Why do I have to leave?” he pouted. Crossing his arms tightly across his chest and stomping his foot for effect.

“Because you don't belong!” I hissed and he laughed “C'mon?  Can I just stay tonight? I'll even drive you to school. Then you don't have to get in trouble with your parents. You little rebel, you.” he snickered.

I blushed, grateful for the darkness. “What do you mean by rebel?”

He snorted and sat down on the edge of my bed. Counting on his fingers “Hmm let's see... Uh, 1. Let a boy into the house. 2. Let boy drink daddy's beer. 3. Let Boy stay in house for extended period of time without parents permission or knowing. 4.—”

“Ok! Ok I get it. I broke a lot of rules.” I muttered in annoyance, then laughed quietly.

“Damn straight you did.” he chuckled.
♠ ♠ ♠
Haven't posted on this one in a while but couldn't leave ya all hangin could I? Anyways I'll be updating this one more often now that I'm inspired again ;)

Edited 12/30/2015