What Waits Within the Shadows

Things Come Crashing Down

The walk was slow and treacherous. Fell jumped whenever something fell off a building. Street by street they had to be careful not to kick anything or make any noise in case something was lurking in one of the nearby buildings. Finn counted the number of streets and alleys that they passed. Making sure they got to the right block . When they came to the last street they crouched down in the middle of the road. Starring down the length of they alleyway. They had to cross the collapsed wall into the apartment complex. Finn took one look behind him at Fell. Putting a finger to his lips and slowly began to walk in the dark alleyway. Each step closer to their destination made them more nervous. If one things goes wrong then everything would go wrong . Murphy's law still existed.

Patches of light hit the ground where holes in the buildings wall above let light through. Trying to use that to illuminate their path, Finn had to be careful to guide himself and Fell down the alley without stepping on glass or anything else that could awaken something in the shadows. Up ahead was a large dumpster, behind that was the collapsed wall that led into the complex. They had run though last night. ( damn that was close last night. All quiet and sneaky, trying to be careful as they walked around the rubble filled rooms looking for some place nice to sleep for once. Then all the sudden the loud roar and fell taking off down the hall. The packs flying off her shoulders into the room . They stayed quiet last night they would have had a nice place to sleep instead of the burnt up interior of a car. ) he looked back to see Fell still crouched down behind him. Finn missed a step. Getting his legs tangled together as he fell he tried to reach for the wall instead he grabbed the handle to the dumpster. The dumpster banged against the wall 4 times before Finn got his legs underneath him. His hands shook as if they were holding railway ties.

Trying to catch his breath, calm down his nerves and slow down the adrenaline rush ) he didn’t notice that Fell had moved in front of him and had both the road flare and pocket knife out in each hand. As he settled down , he heard it. A low rumble slowly vibrating the ground. The only thing going on in Finn’s mind was “ not again please no not again “ it was his fault this time. If something happened to fell he would never forgive himself.

Vibrations were getting louder. Whatever it was, it was coming for them and it was moving fast. they had to hurry. Fell took the lead now. They quickly went through the collapsed wall in the rubble filled rooms. Fell led the way into the dining room, searching floors and closets, but coming up empty. They headed into the partial collapsed living room with no front door or exit and the contents of the packs spread across the floor. Whatever chased them last night had found what it was looking for and ripped into the packs. They needed to hurry , the vibrations were now shacking the walls. Searching the floor , picking up the remains of the packs . Trying to find the make up case he found for fell the previous day . There is was hidden under part of the broken front door.

Finn we need to get out now “ Fell yelled
I know I know we need an exit , that tings coming. There’s no Exit here. Ugh I don’t know what to do . “
Finn get a hold of yourself. She walked up to him and slapped him. Trying to knock some sense into him. Finn listen to me we are going to die if we don’t leave . Lets go !

Fell took the lead again. Running through the dining room and hallways trying to find a way back to the alley. Then it happened. The walls shook violently and something crashed through them sending dust and splinters throughout the halls. A loud growl vibrated through the complex. it was here and they were out of time they had to make it to the alley way . They had to make it to sunlight. Fell pushed Finn outside the collapsed wall and was answered with another loud roar running through the wall into the alley trying desperate to make it to light. Fell looked back and lit her road flare through it into the opening of the collapsed wall. A loud screech penetrated their hearing as the creature collided with the road flare. It crashed through the wall into the alleyway . It was PISSED and it was on their heels. They were almost at the alley way opening and to the light filled streets. “ almost there Finn, come on

Giving one final effort they jumped out of the alley and landed in the streets. Felled leaned up on her elbows to look back int to the alley. Catching a glimpse of a long tail with spikes attached to it and a long black furred body , before she could see anymore Finn pushed her down and onto her back. Right in time to see the dumpster sail over their heads and crashed half way into the building behind them . The screeching of metal sliding off the wall told them that they were safe. They laid back breathing heavily. The roaring of the creature retreating back into the shadowy remains of the apartment complex told them they would see it again later.

"Fell next time you suggest we find hotel I say screw the packs and lets find a resort. “

Fell leaned up on her elbows grinning. Giving Finn one of her I told you so looks.