Furthest Thing

two ;

Juliana was a simple woman. She was nothing but average. Her hair wasn't long and flawless, besides, it was almost never not worn in a high bun on the top of her head. She didn't stand at a supermodel towering height either. The only thing that set her apart from every other female in Pittsburgh was her mossy green eyes that she inherited from her grandfather. And that's just how Sidney liked her. He longed for something normal in his crazy life.

Sidney loved that Juliana didn't like him because he was the Sidney Crosby. In fact, the woman had no idea who he actually was when they had first met in her bakery almost two years ago. Juliana was a hard worker and she was struggling to get the name of business known. She didn't have time to watch the news or even glance at a television screen Those things were a waste of time when you had a career to focus on.

She couldn't help but to notice how different Sidney had grown since he had gracefully stepped into her life. He had been changing with the seasons right before her very eyes. Juliana could tell the weight of the world was finally weighing down on the young captain's shoulders. And Sidney knew he was going to break soon. Neither of them were sure how much longer Sidney could balance the pressure of being The Next One.

Sometimes Sidney just wanted to do normal, fun things. He often found himself day dreaming of what his life would be if he wasn't blessed with such talent. Maybe if he had taken a different road in life, he would have a family by now. But in reality, he couldn't even take Juliana on a date for fear they would be attacked by fans and media reporters.

It was still unusually cold for March, even in western Pennsylvania. Sidney drove through the streets of a small suburb, passing by modest sized homes. At first, he was unsure of Pittsburgh. After the years flew by, it began to feel like home. That was something Sidney hadn't felt in quite sometime. He wondered if Juliana had anything to do with the welcoming feel.

It was becoming increasingly hard for Sidney to focus on things other than Juliana. But still, he couldn't find it in him to admit that to anyone, including himself. Her smile was engraved in his brain, constantly reminding him that everything would be okay eventually. She truly had no idea how much the athlete relied on her for her unconditional reassurance.

Sidney pined for her attention day in and day out. He hadn't heard from the woman in a little over a week. He frowned to himself, coming to a stop sign. Sidney wasn't sure what he was feeling but he did know one thing. It was something he had never experienced before.

Juliana closed the glass door behind her before twisting the key, making sure she locked up. She smiled inwardly. Luckily, she had managed to clean and close up all before nine o'clock. This was surely a new record for her.

"Hey Jules," a voice called from behind her, followed by rhythmic footsteps. She smiled at the sound of the familiar voice.

"Josh," she greeted him. "What's up?" He shrugged cooly while attempting to normalize his breathing.

"Just shut down for the night," he said, nodding towards his coffee shop two buildings down. "Do you have plans tonight?"

Juliana immediately knew where this was headed. It was quite obvious that Josh had devolved a small crush on her. She began to notice only a few months after renting out the small building she had chosen for her bakery. He was the first to welcome her to the Station Square after scoping her out from afar. The dirty blonde with pale blue eyes had made it a point to visit the bakery every morning for a scone and brought her coffee in return.

He was a very sweet guy. Juliana knew that he could surely make her happy. But that wasn't what Juliana wanted. That wasn't who she wanted. Still, she felt guilty for refusing the man of a chance. Sidney had robbed him of that some time ago.

"No, I don't," she replied, jingling her keys as her eyes found the large fountain by the Hard Rock Cafe just as it changed colors. Josh rocked on the balls of his feet, watching the woman before him intently.

"Would you wanna go grab a drink or something?" He finally asked, a hopeful glimmer in his icy eyes. Juliana looked at him now, her teeth tugging at the delicate flesh of her bottom lip.

"I'm actually kind of tired, Josh. I'd love to just get home if you don't mind," she once again felt guilty as his rejected eyes fell to his feet. Though it was inaudible, Juliana sighed. "But why don't you just come back with me? We could cook up a late dinner and have some wine?" She offered though she didn't really feel up for company. Juliana had always been too kind.

Josh's sunken face lit up under the almost full moon as he sent her an award winning smile. "I'd love that, actually."

Sidney tapped his calloused fingers on his steering wheel impatiently just moments after parking on the side of the road. He didn't like waiting around. Sidney was a busy body.

He chewed down on his peppermint gum as he noticed there were no lights on in the house and her car was absent from the drive way. With a glance at the clock on the dashboard, he decided she would be home from work soon. He would just wait.

He was right. It wasn't long before he spotted Juliana's black Honda turning the corner. He shoved his phone in his pocket as her car stopped at her normal spot and the headlights turned off. He stopped though as he saw she has a passenger.

Sidney watched a man get out of the car, laughing as he swung the door closed. Jealousy ripped through his body like a freight train. The emotion had almost scared him. It had been such a long time since Sidney had felt this way. He glared as he watched them walk towards the door, and as the unknown man casually bumped shoulders with his Juliana.

Just before she opened the door, Juliana glanced back over her shoulder. Sidney leaned back into the shadow that was cast over his seat. She shook her head to herself and entered her home, her company trailing behind. She didn't see Sidney. No, it was just her mind playing tricks on her.
♠ ♠ ♠
More Sidney and Juliana time in the next one. The chapters will get longer as we progress into the story, I promise. Comments make me update much faster ;) Teej rewrite is next on my plate

Love you guyssss