Furthest Thing

three ;

Juliana's eyes glared at the cupcake as it's pink frosting seemingly mocked her. She tapped her fingernails on the counter with a sigh. Making a point to turn away from the fattening dessert, Juliana sarcastically scoffed to herself, as if she was teasing the cupcake. She had more willpower than that and if she was going to fit into the overly expensive dress for her cousin's wedding next month, she was going to have to be able to deny her perfect, decadent treats.

Her tongue slid over her lips as the noon news came on the television. Tuesdays were always uneventful at the bakery. So slow, in fact, that Juliana had often contemplated closing the store weekly so she could have time for herself. But she couldn't afford to lose the few sales she made, even on the slowest days. Though she had majored in business management, Juliana hadn't anticipated the struggle of starting and owning a small business. She liked to think she was doing alright though.

A yawn escaped from Juliana's lips, which were coated with a layer of cherry flavored Chapstick. She immediately regretted staying up so late last night. Though Josh was what most considered to be Mr. Right, Juliana couldn't help but to feel like what she was doing was very wrong.

If you thought to ask the young woman why exactly she felt so guilty, she would be unable to give you good reasoning. Simply because there wasn't any logical answers. Sidney had made it very clear time and time again that they were not official. And considering that the last she had heard from him was weeks ago; a simple three worded text. When Juliana had replied, she never heard anything back from the hockey player. So why did she feel so guilty? It should be his conscious eating at him for just brushing her off his shoulder, like some sort of annoying bug.

Josh was the romantic type, which was something Juliana always found herself longing for. He relished in the opportunity to parade her around the city, treating her to lovely dinners. Perhaps Juliana mostly appreciated that they were able to enjoy each other's company in public. That was something Sidney could never offer her, even if he wanted to. There was one thing Juliana was sure of. Josh was nothing like Sidney Crosby. She just didn't know if that was something she liked or hated.

The two had an eventful evening. They dined at a new restaurant on the South Side and enjoyed some drinks at a few clubs. She was impressed by the gentlemanly demeanor that Josh possessed. Juliana found herself wondering why she had waited so long to give the coffee shop owner the time of day. But on the other hand, Sidney Crosby invaded her brain; his face popping up at the most inconvenient times. Juliana would never admit it, mostly to herself, but her mind had been on Sidney most of the night. She caught herself wishing the two could have memories like that. That's when Juliana realized that maybe she didn't feel guilty for Sidney, but Josh instead. She felt as if she was cheating Josh.

Juliana was thankful as a young couple entered the store, a bell indicating they had opened the door, pulling her from somewhat forbidden thoughts.

Sidney couldn't take it anymore. He just wanted to see her and the pictures on his phone just wouldn't suffice. The phenom lowered his head, hiding behind his hat as he snaked his way through the throngs of people. In his desperate state, Sidney hadn't considered the fact that it happened to be dinner time in one of the busiest shopping spots in the city.

The captivating sweet scent of cookies filled Sidney's nose, causing his mouth to water. He neared the counter, watching as the young girl at the counter looked up from her book, eyes growing as wide as saucers. He smiled kindly.

"How may I help you?" She asked, her cheeks turning red. Sidney internally chuckled. On rare days, he did enjoy the effect he had on people - particularly young women. It helped with his confidence, which he was secretly lacking.

"Just a piece of peanut butter fudge please," he spoke in his smooth voice, digging into his back pocket for his leather wallet. She finally looked away from the hockey star and reached into the glass display.

Sidney always had almost too much of a sweet tooth, but he forced himself to cut back on sugars, especially during the season. Even still, something in him encouraged him to help out Juliana's small business, just like he had the first time they met.

"Is Juliana here?" Sidney asked as he handed the girl a few dollar bills. Her face contorted into somewhat of an odd expression, but it eased up almost immediately. She nodded.

"Yes, Mr. Crosby, she's in the back," she said politely, her fingers working the register. "Would you like me to get her?"

"If you would, please," he nodded just before she disappeared into a doorway.

Sidney let out a sigh as he leaned against the bright colored counter. He looked around. The place had come a long way since he first stepped foot through the door. Of course, she had been struggling then to make enough money to even keep the business running, let alone to elaborately decorate the place.

He always knew that Juliana would be successful. She had an immense amount of determination. Sidney adored that about her.

"Sidney," Juliana greeted, pulling off a flour coated apron as she raised her eyebrows.

"Hey Juls," the man smiled, his honey colored eyes shining. "How are you?"

She raised her shaped eyebrow at him once again, leading him to a small table. "I'm good."

"That's great," he replied quickly, beaming. "I figured I'd stop in and visit. It's been a while."

"Indeed it has," she confirmed curtly. "So why are you really here?" Sidney's eyes flashed an emotion that Juliana didn't quite recognize. It had faded in a nanosecond, leaving her to wonder what it was.

"To visit," he repeated. Sidney leaned back into his chair before taking a bite of his treat. "Your fudge gets better every time I taste it," he complimented. Juliana almost blushed, but her suspicion was sure to override any giddy, bubbly feeling Sidney could cast upon her.

"Sidney." He sighed, his eyes flicking up to meet hers. Instantly he became intoxicated in her green orbs. He struggled to pull himself out of the trance she was unintentionally putting him in.

"Anything new in your life?" He questioned in a hinting manner, choosing to ignore her accusatory tone. Juliana pursed her lips in response.

"What, in the past few weeks that you've neglected to keep in touch?" Sidney almost let a smile slip through the cracks. He found Juliana's attitude surprisingly charming in an odd kind of way.

"I've been busy, you know playoffs are coming up," he pointed out, finishing his fudge. He instantly found himself wishing he had gotten more. Juliana simply shrugged before she noticed her employee who had been eavesdropping.

"Ashely, could you please check on the sugar cookies?" Juliana called over to the now startled high schooler, who quickly scurried into the back. Juliana then turned back to Sidney, sending him a defeated look.

"You still could have texted me or something," she mumbled, her eyes watching her fingers as they played with a cloth bracelet that she wore on her dainty wrist. It was now Sidney's turn to shrug nonchalantly as he tipped the chair back, balancing on the two bag legs.

"I didn't think you wanted me to," he countered cooly.

"Why wouldn't I want you to?" She was almost afraid to ask as her eyes met his, which they had done only a few times in their conversation. Juliana often caught herself acting shy around Sidney.

"I hear you've been entertaining men at your house," he lied and Juliana saw jealousy flash through his eyes.

"Green isn't your color, Sidney," she said quietly, feeling trapped in a corner. Juliana never considered what Sidney would think if he learned about her new friend.

"I'm not jealous," he shot back, his eyes squinting into a glare. As soon as Sidney was aware of his rising temper, he looked away from her, fixing his gaze on something out the window.

"Then why do you care?" Juliana scoffed, anger beginning to bubble inside of her. He wanted her to feel guilty and Juliana was already mustering up everything in her to not feel guilty. She wasn't about to let this man take control of the situation. "You don't call me for weeks and expect me to wait around for you? You're not that impressive, Crosby."

The insult caused Sidney to smirk, ripping his focus away from the passing bodies and back to Juliana's visibly irritated stare. He placed his elbows on the table, leaning forward on them as he did so.

"It's kind of hot when you're pissed off," he told her, desire laced in his voice. Juliana fought the urge to roll her eyes, but ended up losing the battle.

"You're impossible." This caused his smirk to stretch into a full grin as the metal legs of the chair screeched against the tile floor. He stood up, his eyes lustfully boring down into hers.

"I'll be over tonight with Chinese," he informed her before promptly turning and exiting the store. Juliana let a deep sigh that she had been holding in her lungs as the bell on the door sounded.

Sidney was determined to show Juliana just why she didn't need anyone but him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this one took so long...I got kind of stuck.

I miss mibba when people actually commented. This story has almost 70 subscribers and no one comments? That's pretty discouraging :\

Either way, thanks for reading! :)