Furthest Thing

five ;

A deep, frustrated groan escaped from Juliana's lips as she dug through her purse for the umpteenth time. She even wrote herself a reminder on her notepad to put her work key back on her keychain but she had been so preoccupied by Sidney that it slipped her mind. The woman pursed her lips and glanced around her. It was early and most of the shops would be opening in about an hour. As her teeth began to chatter, she dialed an all too familiar number.

Sidney rolled over onto his stomach. The cream colored sheet lowered a bit, exposing most of his bare back. He buried his face in the soft pillow, basking in the scent of Juliana's shampoo. His eyes opened upon realizing the sound that woke him was his phone ringing somewhere in the distance.

Sidney shot up, noticing the indent on the other side of the bed where Juliana had previously laid. He found his phone in his jeans that were haphazardly kicked off when he attempted to stealthily carry the sleeping Juliana to bed the night before.

"Hello?" Juliana heard his groggy voice. She sighed in relief.

"Sorry to wake you," she said through a shiver. "I'm sort of locked out of the shop," Juliana told him, feeling ashamed that she had to call Sidney for help. Back at her house, he raked his fingers through his curly locks as his feet padded against the hardwood floor.

"How can I help?" He asked, flicking on the bathroom light. He scrunched his nose at his reflection in the mirror above the sink. He heard Juliana sigh.

"The key is on the top of the fridge," she informed him, wrapping her hoodie closer to her. The late March air was rather chilly this morning leaving Juliana longing for spring weather to make an appearance in Pittsburgh.

Sidney adjusted his boxer briefs that somehow got twisted in his sleep before pulling on his jeans, holding the phone between his cheek and shoulder.

"Okay, I can be there in twenty," he told her, searching around for his shirt. Just as she began to respond, Sidney heard a rapping noise from downstairs. "There's someone at the door, Jul."

"It's probably just the mail man, you can go get it if you want. But hurry Sid, it's cold out," she said just as another chill ripped through her body.

"I'll be there soon," he confirmed, deciding to postpone the search for his shirt for the time being and scurried down the stairs. Sidney peaked out the side window and a spiteful smirk immediately formed on his face. His left hand came up to ruffle his hair, leaving it in a bigger mess than it already had been.

Sidney swung open the door, looking at the man before him with raised his thick brow. Josh's jaw slacked open as he eyed the shirtless superstar who stood in his potential love interest's doorway.

"Is Juliana home?" Josh finally asked after he seemingly pushing the initial shock away. Juliana had never mentioned her famous friend to Josh during all their time spent together recently. Sidney shook his head, putting his media voice to the test.

"No man, she's out right now. Do you want me to tell her you stopped by? I didn't catch your name..." Sidney trailed off, scoping out his competition. The hockey player decided that Josh wasn't a threat at all in the race for Juliana's heart.

"Josh," said the dirty blonde, the slightly shorter of the two men, "but it's cool, I'll just stop by later." Sidney bit back another twisted smirk.

"We'll actually be at my place all night. Maybe try tomorrow."

"Yeah," Josh mumbled, shoving his hands in his pockets, "I'll do that. Thanks." He didn't give Sidney another look before he turned and walked off. Feeling satisfied, Sidney closed the door and returned to look for his shirt. Sighing when he couldn't find it, Sidney settled for simply putting his player only issued Penguins hoodie over his bare skin and found the lone key exactly where Juliana said it would be.

Sidney wondered what she saw in the coffee shop owner. Surely he was better than Josh. It sickened the Canadian to imagine Juliana snuggles into the other man's body just as she'd been with him early this morning. Sidney tried to force that image away as he sat in traffic on the bridge.

It was outstanding the things he was willing to do for this woman. Surely, he would walk across hot coals in his bare feet if he knew it would make her happy. It was no secret that the hockey player had his fair share of women throughout his time in Pittsburgh. He had experimented in every type; blonde, brunette, redheads, college students and though he refused to admit it, even an aspiring actress who was willing to do just about anything to get into the limelight. But still, Juliana made him feel something that no other woman had accomplished. She made his head spin in anticipation and his skin crawl for another chance to touch her.

As he promised, Juliana watched Sidney park and jump out of the driver's seat a short time later. He admired her flushed cheeks that were stinging due to the cold breeze that brushed over the river.

"Thanks so much, Sid," she said for the third time, leading him into the bakery. He shrugged again, observing as she turned on the lights, illuminating the colorful shop.

Juliana spun to look at Sidney, realizing he was now much closer than she though. Her eyes flickered up to his face as he wrapped an arm around her middle, pulling her even closer to his warm body. A small smile played on Juliana's pink lips as he lowered his head, inching his fave closer to hers.

"Don't mention it," he whispered, his hot breath so close to her cheek that her eyes fluttered closed in anticipation. Juliana licked her lips, waiting for the kiss that was sure to come next. Sidney's head spun as he pressed his lips to hers, causing him to feel intoxicated. Though it was difficult, he ended the kiss, knowing if he let it go too far, he would never make it to the captains' practice in time. "Have a good day, beautiful," he placed another short peck to her awaiting lips, "I'll call you later," he finished, this time kissing her cheek after the words left his mouth.

Juliana sighed in bliss, watching as he exited her shop, the bell dinging on top of the door. Wishing he'd never left, she reluctantly prepared the cash register for the day before disappearing into the kitchen to bake a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies.

By lunch, Juliana was dying for a break. She told the counter girl that she was taking a break and fetched her lunch from the small refrigerator.

With a sigh, she sat down at the very table she and Sidney had their conversation yesterday. Catching a glimpse of the coffee shop owner a few buildings down, she smiled and jumped to her feet.

"Josh!" She called down the sidewalk with a grin on her face. The blonde haired man shook his head, but stopped walking nonetheless to wait for Juliana to catch up to him. She heard a defeated sigh leak from his slightly parted lips.

"Hey Juliana," he said cooly, adding a curt nod for emphasis. Juliana was confused. Josh hadn't referred to her as her full name in quite some time. Her nose scrunched up. "I met your friend Sidney today."

That's when it hit her. It wasn't the mailman at the door this morning. It was Josh. She suddenly remembered the plan they had made to carpool to work today. Guilt spread across Juliana like a wild fire as her stomach began to sink.

"I'll catch up with you later. I'm running errands." Josh didn't bother to look back at Juliana as he sauntered away, leaving her standing in the whipping wind of early Pennsylvanian spring.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this at two am last night and didn't proof read so forgive me if you spot some mistakes. Thank you guys so much for the feedback. I love to read your comments and they encourage me greatly to update quicker ;)