‹ Prequel: More Than This

Over Again

13

I sat in my group meeting, bouncing my leg up and down. I needed to get home and figure out what was happening to me, but this was just as important.

A new girl and her mother had joined the group tonight and the attention was on them as we ended the meeting.

The girl was young, probably about 15, and her mother sat next to her, holding her hand. The girl was shy, not saying anything all night. And that intrigued me.

So, when it was her turn to speak, my attention focused on her completely.

“Uhm. Hi.” She started, her voice quiet. “Uhm. I’m here because I lost my father.”

I immediately felt my body tense up.

“It’s been a very hard time in my life and uhm I almost quit. I wouldn’t be here today.”

I knew I stopped breathing for a second at her words.

“What got you through it, if you don’t mind me asking?” Fred asked softly, sympathy evident in his voice. The girl’s breath hitched in her throat as she gestured to her mom.

“Uhm my family.” She said slowly. “And this is going to sound dumb but… the band One Direction.” I could feel her shyly lock eyes with me and I blushed, knowing she knew who I was at this point. “Their music and watching their videos all the time really helped to lift my mood when I was sad. I don’t know.”

She stopped talking and Fred nodded once.

“Music often has to power to help change our mood, and so does family. Having people around and positive music really can help in a sad situation. Thank you for sharing. Okay, that about wraps this meeting up.”

I was standing before he even finished the speech, walking over to the girl.

I said nothing as she stood up, instead wrapping her in a hug, letting the tears fall freely as I felt her tears on my shoulder.

I let her go and looked her in the eyes.

“Really, thank you for sharing your story today. We have more in common than you can imagine.” I bit my lip. “What’s your name?”

“Kara” She replied through her tears.

“Kara, I lost my father when I was younger, and my life spiraled out of control, and I wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for” I stopped and took a deep breath. “If it wasn’t for my sister and for all of One Direction. So I know how you feel. I’m going to give you my phone number and I want you to call me soon, okay? Because I think it’s time you meet the boys who saved your life, don’t you?”

She looked at me with wide eyes.

“You’d do that for me? I can meet them?” She stared at me with her mouth wide open.

“Yeah, darling, you can meet them. I want you to understand that they are 5 amazing guys and they love you, too. I’m going to have to call them since they’re on tour right now and set something up.”

She threw her arms around me in a tight embrace, and I looked over her shoulder at her mother, who had tears in her eyes.

After we pulled apart, I walked over to her mother.

“Your daughter seems like a beautiful soul and she deserves to be happy. I’m glad you can be there for her.”

The woman pulled me into an embrace and muttered a tearful thank you in my ear. We pulled apart and I told Kara to call me before I left the building.

I walked toward Liam’s house, my thoughts racing.

I was happy to be doing something nice for a girl who’s story hit so close to home.

I was excited to call the guys, and I went into my pocket for my phone, cursing when I realized that it wasn’t in my pocket and I must’ve left it at Liam’s.

I shrugged and walked the rest of the way to his house, and opened the door.

The twins were staying at their grandparents for the night and El was staying at her parent’s, so the house was dark and quiet.

I kicked my shoes off and made my way upstairs to my room to retrieve my phone and call the guys.

When I entered the room, I noticed a form lying on the bed, a familiar head of blond hair poking out from the covers. I froze in the doorway.

“Niall?” I asked, my voice barely above a whisper. “What are you doing here?”

When he turned and I saw the look on his face, I panicked.