‹ Prequel: More Than This

Over Again

14

“Niall.” I repeated the boy’s name and walked cautiously over to the bed and slid in next to him. “What happened?”

I knew that he was freaking out by the look in his eyes so I put a hand on his arm, squeezing it for comfort and to let him know I was there, before grabbing my phone that I had forgotten earlier.

I dialed Harry’s number and waited for him to pick up.

“Niall is here.” I stated as soon as he picked up.

“I know.” Harry muttered. I sensed the sadness in his voice.

“Why?” I asked.

I heard Harry take a sharp intake of breath.

“I guess Alanna isn’t doing so well, love.” He said softly and slowly. I closed my eyes and squeezed Niall’s arm harder.

“Okay.” I muttered.

“He wouldn’t listen to reason. He freaked out and left, only to be told he couldn’t visit with her. She isn’t allowed visitors, so he must have come to you for comfort.”

“Okay.” I said again, taking a deep breath.

“Bailey, you’re okay, right?” Harry asked.

“Yeah, Haz, I can deal with this.” I replied.

“Okay. Call me later. I love you.”

“I love you too.” I hung up the phone and put it back on the table before turning to Niall, who looked a bit less freaked.

“I love her, Bailey.” He muttered. I found his hand under the covers and held it. “Her brother called me and said she wasn’t doing well and I just… acted before I thought it through, I guess. But they won’t let her see me and she can’t have her phone and I just… I’m scared. And everyone’s probably pissed I left but I-“ He ran a hand over his face and I shushed him.

If they weren’t letting her have her phone, I knew from experience that it had to be really bad, but I wasn’t going to say anything to him, so I sighed.

“Niall, I know you love her, and sometimes love makes us act with our hearts rather than our minds. The boys aren’t mad at you, I promise. She’s their friend too, and they’ve all been in love, so they understand. Just… believe me when I say that whatever happens, I’m here for you. They boys are here for you. You have friends, no, family, that loves you.”

He shook his head at my speech.

“It’s really bad, isn’t it?” His voice cracked and I sighed, pulling my best friend into a hug.

We lay there for I don’t know how long as I rubbed his back, until eventually, he sat up.

“I don’t want to think about this anymore. Distract me. What’s going on with you? Do you need a shoulder to cry on too?”

I laughed and sat up alongside him, biting my lip.

“Oh, the lip bite. You have something to tell me.”

Instead of answering, I got up from the bed and grabbed the plastic bag that contained the box with the pregnancy test in it, holding it up.

Niall gaped at me.

“So you’re-“

“I don’t know.” I shrugged. “I bought it a few weeks ago, but I’m too scared to take it.”

Niall stood up and walked over to me, putting his hands on my shoulders.

“Why are you scared?”

I took a deep breath.

“What if I-“ I couldn’t finish my sentence and Niall sighed, pulling me into a bone crushing hug.

“Listen to me, Bailey, if you’re pregnant, you’re going to be a great mother, and Harry’s going to be a great father, and together you are going to raise a healthy, happy, child. I can bet you that.”

I wiped the tears from my eyes and looked up at my best friend, who simply nodded his head toward the bathroom.

I sighed. It was time.

I went into the bathroom and shut the door, opening the box and taking a deep breath before figuring out once and for all what lay ahead of me.