‹ Prequel: More Than This

Over Again

19

I got out of bed, walking over to the door and past Harry, noticing Niall sitting down against the wall, his head in his hands and his phone next to him, Louis standing worriedly above him.

I gulped, the feeling in my gut already knowing what was going on.

I slowly knelt on the ground in front of him and put my hands on his knees.

“Niall, honey.” My voice cracked. As I tried to get him to look at me. He shook his head and I sighed. “Niall James, can you please look at me?” He shook his head again, and I sighed.

“Niall, did she-“ I couldn’t finish the question because a part of me didn’t want my fears to be confirmed.

He raised his head to meet my eyes and my heart broke.

“Bailey, I-“

He pulled me into his body and I felt the tears start falling from my eyes.

“I loved her.” Niall muttered.

“I know you did, Ni. But sometimes that’s not enough.”

I felt Louis and Harry sit down on either side of us and wrap their arms around us in mess of a hug. We sat like that for what felt like a long time before I spoke.

“Where’s everyone else? We need to… goddammit I don’t want to do this again.”

I felt Harry’s arms wrap around my waist and pull me into his warm body as he kissed my head.

“I’m not sure where Zayn and Liam are, but I’ll go find Paul. I’ll talk to him about getting a flight.” Louis said, squeezing Niall’s shoulder before getting up and departing.

“I’ll go find Zayn and Liam.” I spoke quietly to Harry, getting up in a hastily. Anything to distract myself. “Stay here with Niall.”

Harry moved an arm around his best friend’s shoulder, and I turned away from the sight, not being able to bear it.

I walked into their hotel room, which was luckily unlocked, where I saw them out on their balcony, Zayn smoking a cigarette, Liam sitting talking to him.

I slid the door open, and they immediately whipped around at my presence.

“Are you alright, Bails?” Zayn asked, looking at my face, which I’m sure was not pretty. I could feel the tears welling in the back of my eyes.

I shook my head and held my hand out for a cigarette. Zayn sighed and opened his pack, pulling one out and lighting it before handing it to me. I took a long drag to steady my thoughts and my voice before speaking. I didn’t want to say it out loud. I couldn’t. Yet, they needed to know. I needed to admit it. The truth came spilling out of my mouth before I could think.

“Alanna’s dead.”