‹ Prequel: More Than This

Over Again

2

I watched from the bench as the two girls played happily on the playground, already making more friends and easily playing with them too.

I pulled out my phone to scroll through twitter and decided to make my own tweet.

Good luck to all the 1D boys as they play their first show back today! I love all 5 of you so much! Xo

Then, deciding that I needed to mention something else, I made another tweet.

Also, thank you to every single fan who has made it possible for them to come back after a year and still do what they love. You guys are the best! Xo

I kept scrolling through my twitter feed for a little while until I got a text from El.

I’m coming over in like an hour to relieve you from duty so you can go to your meeting.

Shit. I had forgotten about that. I sighed and pocketed my phone, running a hand through my hair. Maybe I wasn’t ready for this.

No. Moving on was my only option, and I knew it.

Just then, Daisy called me over to the playground.

I grinned and walked over to my nieces.

“What’s up?” I asked, crouching to their eye level.

I noticed that the girls they were playing with had left with their families.

“Play with us!” Daisy demanded, as they led me over to the swings where they got on and I started to push them back and forth, smiling as I did so.

Just then, my phone started ringing, and the girls craned their necks to look at the screen.

“Hazza!” Bella squealed with delight.

I laughed and put him on speaker phone so the girls could hear.

“Hi Hazza!” We all chorused together.

Harry chuckled, and I grinned, realizing how much I missed him already.

“Hi, loves!” He greeted. “What are you doing?”

“Swings!” Daisy replied.

I grinned and kissed the top of her head.

“That’s so fun!” Then I head shuffling around and someone calling his name in the background. “Listen, I just wanted to call and say hi, I’ve got to go. Bailey, stop stressing about tonight, it’s going to go great, I promise. I love you.”

I cursed him and his ability to read my mind, and also the fact that I couldn’t talk to him for more than 2 minutes.

‘I know, Harry. I love you too. Good luck tonight!”

“I don’t need luck, I was born ready.” He replied, and I rolled my eyes. “Love you munchkins!”

“Love you!” the girls called back before the line went dead. I sighed and looked at the time on the phone.

“Okay, girls, we’ve got to go, El is coming over to spend time with you! Are you excited?”

I grinned as the girls cheered and started to run towards where we came from. I scooped them up and opted for carrying them down the street and back towards their house.

When we got to the house, El was already there waiting. I hugged her and quickly kissed the two girls cheeks before departing and going towards the building where the meetings were held.

Right before I could open the door and go in, however, my phone went off, flashing Niall’s face. I sighed and answered the call.

“What’s up, Ni?” I greeted, leaning against the front of the building.

When I got no response from him except for a sigh, I grew worried.

“Niall James, what’s wrong?” I asked sternly.

“Alanna broke up with me.” He sighed into the phone.

My mouth dropped open. The two had been dating for two years, and they were doing so well. I had never seen either of them so happy.

“What? Why?” I asked softly.

“I don’t know.” Niall sounded so upset, and I wanted nothing more than to hug my best friend. “We… And then she just freaked and left, and she just broke up with me.”

I filled in the gaps on my own and realization quickly dawned on me.

“Shit.” I muttered.

“What? What’s going on? Do you know something?” Niall asked.

“Niall, I know a lot of things that I can’t tell you about. It’s not my place. But let me just say that I know Alanna very well, and I have a strong suspicion of why she’s acting like this, and it’s not good, so I’m going to call her and call you back, okay?”

I heard Niall let out a shaky breath.

“Okay.” He replied, and I hung up the phone, dialing the familiar number of one of my best friends, hoping I wasn’t too late.