‹ Prequel: More Than This

Over Again

4

I woke up early to the warmth of two bodies in the bed with me. Daisy must have made her way in when I was asleep. Both girls were still sound asleep. I sighed and ran a hand over my face. I had only just fallen asleep half an hour before.

I quickly grabbed my phone and checked it, but I had no messages or anything.

I groaned and got out of bed, careful not to wake the girls, and started downstairs. When I got the end of the stairs, I heard El talking, and the familiar loud voice of Louis responding. She must have been skyping with him. I grinned and ran down the last few steps, running over to the couch and plopping myself in El’s lap.

Both of them had gone silent at my presence.

“Can I help you?” El demanded, looking down at me with a mock stern expression. I shook my head.

“You were talking about my birthday, weren’t you?” I asked, knowing that was why they got silent. I looked at El and she shrugged nonchalantly, but I sighed. “We’re not doing my birthday, remember?”

“Why not? It’s in two weeks! I want to do something for you!” El pouted. I rolled my eyes and
focused my attention on Louis.

“Hi, Lou!” I grinned at my best friend, who returned the gesture.

“Good morning, love!” He greeted.

I got off of El’s lap and readjusted my position so I was sitting next to her on the couch, pulling my knees to my chest and resting my head on her shoulder.

“How’s tour so far?” I asked, yawning.

“Last night’s show was absolutely incredible! I seriously am in love with this job.” Louis declared.

“And here I was thinking you were in love with me.” El replied, sticking her tongue out at him.

“That too, babe. That too.”

I made a fake gagging noise and pulled myself up off the couch, going into the kitchen to make coffee.

When I got back into the living room with two mugs of coffee, Louis was not alone on the computer screen.

Liam, Zayn, and Harry sat with him now, smiling at the screen.

I plopped down on the couch and resumed my tired position.

“Hi, boys!” I greeted Liam, Zayn, and Harry.

“What’s this about you not wanting to celebrate your birthday?” Liam demanded, shooting me a look.

I closed my eyes. I was too tired for this conversation.

“Not much to celebrate.” I mumbled in response.

“Bailey-“ Harry started, but I held my hand up.

“I’m too tired for this conversation.” I stated.

“Did you sleep at all?” Zayn asked, his voice laced with concern. I ran a hand through my hair.

I didn’t want to have this conversation again. I didn’t want to talk about anything at all.

I needed a shower.

“I’m fine.” I replied through gritted teeth, well aware that I didn’t answer his question. “I’m going to shower.”

I got up before anyone could say anything else, grabbing my mug of coffee and taking it with me.

I looked at my phone when I got back to my bedroom to see one lone waiting voicemail from Alanna.

“I’m okay, Bails, I promise. I’m sorry I didn’t answer right away, I just… I’m okay. I just needed to get away. I’ll call you back later I guess.”

I heaved a deep breath that I didn’t really realize I’d been holding and opened a new text to Niall.

Alanna is okay. Just give her a little space, Ni. I’m positive that she’ll come back.

I wasn’t actually positive of that, or anything else anymore, but Niall was my best friend, and he needed someone to tell him that everything would be okay, even if it wouldn’t be.

Because that’s what that’s what you do. You help your best friends, even when you can’t help yourself.