Secret Smiles in the Snow

M'Lord

Sina glanced over her shoulder at the brother of the Night’s Watch and received a nod, so she pushed open the door and was met with a blast of warm air. Compared to the icy winter winds that made her cloak seem useless, the inside temperature was much more preferable and she hurried inside.

“This one insists on talking to you, Commander,” the brother said gruffly before shutting the door. To Sina’s left was a massive desk made of dark wood and shelves that matched, a bed with plenty of blankets was to the right, and in front of her was a hearth with two chairs before it that seated two men approximately her age. Sina took in their appearances: a round face with warm but dark eyes, and a thinner man with a defined jawline and plenty of black curls. The second one stood and inspected her with narrowed eyes.

“I’m Lord Commander Jon Snow. What do you want?” he asked and Sina suddenly felt nervous, now that she was actually here in front of a powerful man.

“I would like your protection, m’Lord,” Sina mumbled anxiously.

“Then join the Night’s Watch like the rest of the men you came with. That’s all I can offer you,” Jon replied dismissively.

“You don’t understand, m’Lord,” Sina said as politely as she could to not offend him. “I’m a woman. I can’t join.” Jon glanced at Sam and they briefly exchanged a puzzled look. The two men then studied the small figure before them but could not see a feminine form as there was too much cloth draped over Sina’s underfed frame. Upon looking at her dirtied face that was hidden beneath a brown fringe, the men noticed the softer jawline and cheekbones that stood out next to her button nose. With her cropped hair and muddy skin, Sina had managed to disguise herself as a young man, and she had fooled most men on her long journey to the Wall.

“Then why come here?” Jon questioned and Sina gulped.

“I was told it was safe.”

“There are no women here,” Jon pointed out.

“There are rapists- it’s no place for a woman,” Sam agreed, despite having once brought a woman here himself.

“Please let me stay, as a man. I can’t go back,” Sina pleaded.

“No,” Jon stated decisively before motioning with his head to Sam. He rose and followed Jon as he walked towards the door. “Leave here tomorrow. This is no place for you.”

“Can I at least speak with Benjen Stark? Is he here at the moment?” she called out and Jon stopped in his tracks. He slowly turned and saw the pleading woman’s face.

“Who?” Jon asked for clarification that he hadn’t misheard her.

“Benjen Stark…” she trailed off as Jon stared at her quizzically. “He saved me, once, from some men who were going to… Anyway, he gave me some food and said that if I ever needed protection to come to the Wall and he would look after me, so now I have come.” Jon couldn’t prevent a smile from crossing his lips at the thought of his kind uncle.

“That sounds like him,” he admitted before his face fell grim. “Benjen is no longer with us.” Sina’s face fell and all of the hope drained from her sparkling eyes.

“Oh…” she breathed with disappointment as it sunk in that she truly had no place here.

“I am his nephew.” The words spilled from Jon’s mouth before he could think them through, his heart pitying the woman. Sina’s eyes enlarged and gazed up, causing him to sigh with defeat. “For him, I could let you stay for a short while until we can figure something out.” Sina exhaled with relief and then ran a hand across her strained forehead.

“I would appreciate that. Thank you, m’Lord.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally I've been able to write a Jon Snow story that I'm happy with! All I ask for is comments throughout so I know that people are enjoying reading this :) Seriously, even if you take a second of your day to write "update soon" I will be happy and update faster!

I imagine Sina to be pronounced sigh-nah, if that helps XD