Status: Active

Chosen

Chapter: Past

In a small town somewhere near border separating Mexico from the Untied States a neighborhood is still and quiet. All the residents are sound asleep tucked safely in their beds. There is no sign of life except for a single light on in the house at the end of the street.

Inside in the room the light is on an American man in his early twenties to mid thirties turns the lamp on a little brighter and smiled down at the small face looking back at him from the crib.

"Couldn't sleep sweetheart?" He asked his daughter who looked at him with her mother's brown eyes. "You're like your mother she doesn't sleep much either you know."

His daughter sucked on her pacifier as he walked over to the dressed picking something up. He came back over waving and squeaking a toy in front of her face.

The baby's pacifier fell out her mouth as she started drooling trying to get the toy. The father held it just within her grasp before pulling his hand back.

He waved the toy making it peck her on the nose making her giggle before he handed it to her. His daughter took the toy playing with it.

"Whwr can get you back to sleep since toys don't do the job?" He asked herself.

She only grunted in response the father grunted back making her smile. He chuckled and took her out her crib cradling her in his arms as he sat in the nearby rocking chair.

"Will a story get you to sleep?" He asked her tickling her stomach making her laugh. "You won't understand a word of it but it'll be good practice for when you're old enough to understand."

"Let's see." The father said thinking then snapped his fingers. "I got it you wanna hear the story about the monster and the heroine who defeated him?"

His daughter clapped. "I'm taking that as a yes." He said. "Okay here it goes."

"Long ago there was a monster who went from place to place terrorizing and killing people everywhere he went." He said. "What made him so dangerous was that he looked just like you and me so people never knew or suspected him till it was too late."

"People said that usually some strange wind or something would come through town then a stranger would appear a day after." He said. "This stranger was so magnificent and beautiful people swore he was either an angel or too good to be true the latter being right."

"Anyway he won over the men with his knowledge and things he brought from other towns he won the women over with his charm and looks." The father said. "Then these strange happenings started where people were found dead in their beds completely drained of blood."

"No one suspected the stranger till the bodies continued to pile up and people took noticed that they didn't start happening till the stranger arrived." The father said. "Before anyone could confront him he would just vanish into thin air like he was a ghost."

"The killings went on for years and the stranger continued to evade until one day a woman arrived in a town in Swedon." He said. "This woman was mysterious and had weapons that no one had ever seen till then."

"She arrived in Swedon warning themthey were about to be invaded by a force only she could stop no one believed her till the stranger arrived and the murders started." He said. "The woman managed to catch up to the stranger just as he was about to leave and they entered into a vicious fight."

"He almost gained the upper hand until she decaptitated the stranger proving to the townspeople what he was." The father said. "As daylight came his remains burned proving further what he was."

"Anyway the woman continued on her quest to destroy and protect all innocent from creatures of the darkness." He said to his daughter.

"Is this your way of putting our daughter to sleep?" A voice asked.

He looked up seeing his wife with her arms crossed and a stern look but playful look. She doesn't understand it dear." He said getting up.

"Still I don't want her to know of those things just yet." She said.

"Okay dear no more scary stories." He said kissing her. "But don't worry little Devyn cause no monsters will get you as long as we're here." He said kissing his daughter on her forehead and putting her back in her crib.

His wife came over standing beside him and looking into the crib.

"Just look at her look at the life we've created." She whispered.

"And we thought it couldn't happen." He said kissing her temple.

"I'm glad it did." She said with a smile.

They were startled by a loud pounding on the front door. "Give us the baby!" A voice yelled.

The father ran to the window. "It's them." He said grimly.

"Found us again?" His wife asked terrified.

He nodded. "Stay here with the baby I'll go check it out."

"Be careful." His wife said.

He nodded before leaving the mother stood over her now always daughter. "Everything's gonna be okay Devyn."

She was startled by the screaming of her husband then it was silent. She listened hearing approaching footsteps towards the baby's room.

Running to the door she barricaded it as best she cod as they started pounding on it.

"We've already killed your husband." He said. "Give us the baby and we'll let you live."

"Never!" She yelled.

"Then you shall die too." He said as the men pounded harder.

The woman stood over the crib. "Devyn mommy loves you daddy loves you." "We'll always be with you no matter what."

The door burst opened and a group of men entered. "Step aside."

"No." The mother said.

"So be it." The man said then there was a ripping sound and the sound of a body falling to the ground.

He approached the crib of the crying baby as he reached to grab her there was a big bright light that blinded him and his men.

The light filled the entire house becoming brighter then all was dark and silent again.

A couple of weeks later mourners payed their respects to the deceased couple. Everyone watched as the coffins were slowly lowered into the ground. Everyone stood giving their final goodbyes before they left.

A black haired woman stood looking at the graves sobbing quietly into a tissue. She didn't hear footsteps approach her till she felt a hand grab hers.

The woman looked down at the small hand that held hers. They stood looking at the graves a little longer before the woman bend down picking up the small girl and walking away.