Status: Active

Chosen

Chapter 6

Devyn listened as Valary ran out the bathroom and down the hallway. She stopped to take a breath before she continued walking to class.

Hearing no other footsteps Devyn unlocked the stall door gathered her things and walked to the bathroom door.

Putting her shades back on she cautiously opened the door and poked her head out. Seeing and hearing no one she exited the bathroom and made her way to the school's double doors.

Devyn walked down the hallway and past the office without bumping into anyone. She exited the school walked down the stairs and turned to her left walking down the sidewalk towards home.

She was at home in no time she glanced at the window to her bedroom. She could go through the front door since she had a key to it instead she jumped up grabbing onto and swinging herself onto a tree branch.

After seeing and hearing no signs of anyone she leaped up grabbing another branch. Devyn did a complete swing she held onto the windowsill as she jumped into her room.

Getting up from her crouching position Devyn kicked her shoes off and threw her bag onto her bed. She walked to her dressed taking her shades off and looking at her reflection.

A pair of brown eyes that had red overlapping them slightly stared back at her. The browns were the same as her mothers and the red showed what she inherited from her mother.

With a sigh Devyn undressed into some house clothes. She went to the mini fridge in her room and opened it.

She grabbed a vial of blue liquid before walking back to her bed and sitting down. Going through her bag she found her syringe due to Valary's interference she didn't finish her injection.

After injecting herself Devyn held into the bars of the headboard as it rushed through her system. She shook violently and gasped as her insides burned slightly.

She slowly calmed down as her body went back to normal wiping her forehead she grabbed her IPod and threw the covers over her head falling asleep.

"She was injecting something?" Matt asked.

"Yes and whatever it was her body sounded like it was having a violent reaction to it." Valary said.

She was explaining to the others about her encounter with Devyn as they got ready to go home.

"You think drugs is why she acts the way she does?" Jimmy asked.

"I don't know but she didn't want me to help her then when I tried to she yelled at me to go away and her eyes...

"What about her eyes?" Zacky asked.

"I don't know it could've been my imagination or me not wearing my contacts at the time but her eyes looked completely red." Valary said.

"Well if she's on drugs they were probably bloodshot." Brian said.

"Could be but they didn't look bloodshot." She said.

"Maybe she likes to wear those weird contacts you can wear for Halloween." Johnny suggested.

"Could be." Jimmy said as they exited the school. "See y'all tomorrow."

Devyn woke up hearing footsteps coming up the stairs they stopped at her door before opening it.

"You awake Dev?" Chris asked.

"Yeah I am." She said sitting up as the door opened.

"Hey." Chris said walking in. "How you feel?"

"Like I usually do strange." Devyn said.

"How was school?" She asked.

"Same old those same kids won't leave me alone." Devyn said.

"They just want to be your friend Dev." Chris said sitting on the bed.

"I don't need friends Chris besides remember what happened the last place we lived in?" She asked.

Chris sighed at the memory. "I do but this is a new start for you Devyn." She said then noticed the boxes. "You didn't unpack your things."

"What's the point?" She asked. "We never stay anywhere for long."

"Maybe we can stay here for a while." Chris said with an encouraging smile.

Devyn sighed and looked at the picture of her parents. "Chris if they were still here would things be any different?"

"I don't know Dev." She said. "Your parents didn't want this for you or for you to struggle with this alone."

"I know sometimes I just think if they were here things could be different and I could deal better with someone who understands me." Devyn said.

"I'm trying Devyn." Chris said.

"I know Chris I would be lost without you." Devyn said hugging her guardian.

Chris hugged her back before getting up. "I know you don't want to get close to anyone Devyn but maybe being with others would help you and you wouldn't feel so alone and lost."

"I guess I could try to be friends with them." Devyn said.

"Attagirl." Chris said squeezing her shoulder as her alarm went off.

Devyn got up and got dressed. "Time already?" Chris asked.

"Yep I swear time moves fast here." Devyn said pulling on her boots and grabbing her bag.

"Be careful and safe." Chris said.

"Always am." Devyn said jumping out her window and landing on her feet.

Chris got up and watched her with a smile as she took off into the night.

Jimmy walked along the street bored out his mind. His mom had to work the late shift again and he was out solo again due to the curfew.

It wasn't any fun getting into trouble or getting drunk alone. He walked pass a building on his way to the park unaware that a pair of eyes were watching him.

"Can't this Sullivan kid stay in for one fucking night?" Devyn said watching as he entered the park.

With a shake of her head she jumped down keeping to the shadows and followed him into the park.