Status: Active

Chosen

Chapter 8

Jimmy sat at in class his head slumping slightly to the side as he tried to stay awake during the teacher's lecture. He kept glancing at the clock watching as it slowly ticked closer to lunch. Just as he thought he was about to pass out from sheer and utter boredom the bell rang.

He jumped up grabbing his bag and was the first one out the class. After going to his locker and putting some of his things away he walked outside and joined the others at their usual table.

"I'm not eating this shit." Brian said wrinkling his face at the soup that was for lunch.

"Jimmy who you looking for?" Valary asked noticing him looking around.

"Devyn." He said.

"Thought you were going to leave her alone especially after she manhandled you." Johnny said with a smirk.

"Shut it short shit." Jimmy said. "I bumped correction Devyn bumped into me this morning as a joke and I invited her to sit with us."

"You did?" Zacky asked. "Thought she wanted to be left alone."

"She's probably still nervous and scared being in a new school is all." Valary said. "She doesn't come across as a very social person."

"Her being around people line us might change that." Matt said with that grin.

"Got room for one more?" A voice asked.

They all turned to see Devyn standing there looking at them with a small smile.

"Scoot over short shit." Jimmy said pushing Johnny.

"Okay damn!" Johnny whined scooting down to make room for Devyn.

Devyn came over sitting beside Jimmy and Zacky. Everyone was silent Devyn opened her purse pulling out a bottle of what looked like Kool-Aid and took a sip.

"So how you like it here so far Devyn?" Zacky asked.

Devyn shrugged. "It's okay compared to other places I've lived in."

"Where else have you lived in?" Valary asked.

"All over we never stay long enough in one place so there's not a place I like." Devyn said.

"Why do you move around so much?" Matt asked.

"Personal reasons." She said looking down briefly.

"Like what?" Johnny asked.

"I just have to move alot cause of personal reasons okay?" She said irritated.

"Kay sorry." Johnny said eyes wide at her tone.

"Do you have any siblings?" Valary asked trying to change the subject.

"Nope it's just me." Devyn said with a smile.

"Fucking lucky." Brian mumbled. "Don't have a pain in the ass of an annoying sister."

Devyn laughed. "Being an only child isn't all that great it's just me by myself and no one to talk to."

"Don't you talk to your parents?" Johnny asked.

Devyn's face turned sober. "I don't have any parents."

"But that woman who...

"Chris isn't my parent she's my guardian my parents have been dead since I was a baby." She said looking down.

Everyone looked at each other then back at Devyn who was silent occasionally sipping her drink.

"Devyn I'm sorry." Jimmy finally said.

"It's okay." She said softly.

"No it's not I shouldn't have kept pestering you about your personal life." Johnny said.

Devyn looked up with a grin. "You seem to piss everyone off don't you leprechaun?"

Everyone laughed while Johnny sat there flustered. "We're already rubbing off on her." Brian said.

"Devyn if you don't mine me asking but how did your parents die?" Valary asked. "I'm just curious."

Devyn looked away. "They were murdered by very bad people."

Everyone's eyes widen. "Why did these people murder them?" Zacky asked.

"They wanted something that my parents had that was very precious to them." Devyn said. "My parents wouldn't give it to them so they tried to take it by force but they didn't succeed."

"Were the people who murdered your parents ever caught?" Matt asked.

"No they're still on the lose." Devyn said. "And they're still after the thing they wanted from my parents."

"What were they after exactly?" Brian asked.

At that moment the bell rang signaling the end of lunch. They all got up.

"You wanna hang out after school Devyn?" Matt asked as they entered the school.

"I don't know what about the curfew?" She asked.

"Screw the curfew." Jimmy said. "Rules are made to be broken."

"So are you up for it?" Zacky asked.

Devyn thought about it before saying...

"Okay I'm in."