My Smile's An Open Wound Without You

My Smile's An Open Wound Without You

“Get table five!”

“Yes Sir.”

“Get table eight!”

“Yes Sir.”

“Wipe the counter!”

“Yes Sir.”

“No! Go and seat the customer who just came in!”

“Yes Sir.”

I walked over to greet the new customer. I hadn’t seen him come in here before. I sighed and put on a fake smile. The man was standing by the door with his hat pulled far down over his face.

“Morning Sir, can I show you to a table?” I said in a fake cheery voice.

“Umm…can I have a seat at the counter…please…if it’s not too much trouble?”

“You sure can, right this way.” I smiled at his politeness. No other customers are ever that polite.

“Okay thank you.”

I led him over to the counter, pointed to a seat, walked behind the counter and handed him a menu.

“I’ll come back in a few minutes when you’re ready to order.”

“Thank you very much.”

“No problem sir, no problem at all.” I muttered as I wiped the counter. After five minutes, I walked back over to the man.

“Sir, are you ready to order?”

“Erm, yep.”

“Okay,” I giggled. “What can I get you?”

“Um…do you like chocolate pancakes?”

“Yes! I love them!”

He laughed. “Then I’d like some chocolate pancakes and two cups of coffee please.”

“Two?” I questioned.

“Would you mind joining me? I could use some company about now.”

“I-erm…” I was actually taken back. I hadn’t seen his face yet, his hat was still pulled down over it.

“I guess I could take my break now?”

“Yes please.”

“Okay then.”

I walked round to the front of the counter and sat down next to him after getting our breakfast.
An awkward silence came over us.

“So…” he started. “ You’re English then?” I laughed a lot.

“Yes, I am.”

Let me explain. My name is Matilda Bowman. But people call me Matti or Maddie. I don’t really mind. I am from England. I moved here when I was 10. I’m now 20. I have shoulder length red hair and bangs. I’m about 5”5. I have an attractive figure but I don’t flaunt myself. I still have my British accent. My eyes are a dark greeny blue. I work in a crappy diner where my boss is totally unreasonable. I would quit because I hate him and my job so much but if I quit I will be evicted from my 4 room apartment. It only has a she box sized bedroom. I tiny cupboard bathroom. A kitchen only big enough for one person to stand in and a decent sized living room with an ancient t.v. the most expensive things I own are probably my sidekick and my laptop. I got my laptop from my cousin though. I’m not well off to out it plainly. You see, when I moved here, to Wilmette, my parents didn’t move with me. I moved with my brother who is ten years older than me. Fall Out Boyreleased From Under The Cork Tree a couple of months ago. My brother says I have an obsession. My brother is staying in California for a few weeks with his girlfriend, Tess, whom I adore.
At my crappy diner job, I have to wear a pink dress that barely covers my panties. It was white ruffles on it and is slightly pleated on the skirt, it also has puff sleeves. Another reason why I hate my job.

“Wow you sure do love those pancakes.” He stated after a few minutes of watching me eat.

“Uh huh, can’t talk, eating.” I joked, he giggled. It sounded insanely cute. I laughed along with him.

“I’m Maddie.” I extended my hand to him between my laughing.

“Patrick.” He stated finally looking at me from under his hat. I didn’t let go of his hand.

“P-Patrick St-Stump?”

“That’s me.” He smiled only with his mouth. It seemed like an unsure smile. Like he didn’t know whether I would freak out and jump on him or start yelling abuse like I hated Fall Out Boy.
I suddenly realised I was still holding his hand and dropped it quickly. This made him laugh.

“So, Maddie, tell me about yourself.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you think. comments appreciated. - XO