My Smile's An Open Wound Without You

My Smile's An Open Wound Without You

Both our sides were hurting from laughing. It didn’t seem to matter that I was just a diner girl and he was Patrick Stump.
I had told all the bad stories about my job and he had told me funny stories from on tour.

“Maddie, can I ask you a question?”

“Sure Trick, anything.”

“If you hate your job so much, why don’t you just quit?” He looked confused.and adorable.

“Because…I-I-I wouldn’t be able to get another job.” I stammered.

“I’ll give you a job. We need a new merch girl, and we’re going on tour in 2 days. Just leave. Your boss hasn’t even noticed you’ve been having an hour long break.”

“Well…I don’t know.” I stalled.

“Come on. Pwease.” He did puppy dog eyes.

“How could I say no to that? Okay fine, I’ll do it.” I gave in.finally.

“Yes! Pete has taught me well.” He joked.

“Oi! I don’t care who ‘Pete’ is or who you are but she needs to get back to work. Well, what she calls work. The little slut can’t even make a decent pot of coffee.” My boss sneered.

“No.” I replied. He stopped walking and turned to face me.

“No what?”

“No I won’t get back to work.” I said. Patrick was looking from me to him and from him to me, following the conversation back and forth.

“Yes you will!” He yelled. “Do not answer me back or I’ll-“

“You’ll what? Fire me? Too late. I quit.”

Patrick yelled yes and punched the air. He grabbed my handbutterflies formed in my stomach.and ran out the diner pulling me after him. Before we got out the door, I through my dish-cloth down on the floor. My boss was yelling abuse after me and scaring customers. Me and Patrick were just laughing and running.

“Where to now?” He asked, out of breath.

“I think drinks are in order! I have finally quit my job after 2 years. My brother will be so happy.”

Patrick was still holding my hand.

“Drinks?” He asked.

“On me.” I answered.

“Let’s go then.” He lead me down a few streets and into a club.

“Can I have a couple of shots please?” I asked the bartender.

“Sure thing m’am.” He answered. He gave us the shots and Patrick let go of my hand so he drink them.I hided my disappointment.
By now, it was very late. Early morning in fact. A couple of shots had turned into lots of rounds and plenty of shots and dancing.
We both decided we should call it a night. We started to head off to my shoddy apartment. We were laughing and stumbling the whole way. We reached my apartment building and attempted to climb the stairs. I say attempted. He fell down three times. Landing on his butt. We were both laughing really really loud.

“SSHH! SSHH! YOU’RE GOING TO WAKE UP THE NEIGHBOURS!” I Yelled, trying to be quiet.

“Ha ha ha ha ha! YEAH SSHH!” Patrick agreed. He shakily stood up and steadily climbed up the stairs to where I was standing outside my apartment door.

“WELL, THIS IS ME.” I yelled in an attempted whisper.

“Ok. Thanks for keeping me company all today.” Patrick breathed.

“No problem Patrick Stumpy stump stump. Anytime.” I slurred.

“Here’s my number, I’d like to see you again.” He smiled, handing me a scrap of paper with his number on it.

“Okay. Bye bye now.” I nodded several times. He nodded too, then leaned in and pressed his lips to mine. It only lasted a few seconds because we both burst out laughing for no particular reason.

“I’M GOING TO GO NOW.” The loudness returned.

“SEE YA.” I waved sloppily.

He trudged away. I fumbled around in my pocket for the key for quite a long time. After 8 attempts of trying to unlock the door, I staggered inside, threw down my jacket and collapsed on my bed. I had already passed out before my head hit the pillow.

I slowly lifted my head off the pillow. My hair was matted in front of my eyes. I pushed away the comforter, had a shower, did my hair, got dressed, had breakfast and sank onto the couch. I reached for the phone staring at the piece of paper Patrick gave me last night. I punched in his number and waited. It rang twice before he picked up.

“Hello?”

“Hey Patrick.”

Silence.

“It’s Maddie.”

“Oh! Hey, hey, how are you?”

I groaned. “My head has recovered and I don’t have a hangover, I’m just a bit shattered.”

“Aw same. I don’t really remember what happened last night. Anyway, why did you ring?”

“I was wondering if you wanted to hang out maybe, sometime today?” I winced, thinking he’d say no.

”Yeah sure. Come over in 5. I should be ready then.”

“Okay.” I was ecstatic.

“Well see you in a few then. Bye.” He went to hang up.

“Okay by- wait! Where do you live?” I screamed.

“Oh yeah, right.” He gave me directions to his house and I set off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know as usual! - XO