Status: While this story is technically completed, I was hesitant to label it 'finished', so it may be under editing in the future.

Hopeless Romantic

Must Get Out

I stood outside my tower, shivering in the dark and the chill air. It was unseasonably cold. I had packed my things, put them on another horse, and had Mystic next to her. I was ready, thrilling inside that we were doing this, finally. We were almost free. If anyone found out, I didn't know what would happen since we allowed it to go this far. That there would be severe penalties, I was certain. It would kill me to have my plan be a failure at this point. I could never know if it is truly possible for me to stop thinking about her, because I'll never try to. I saw, in the faint moonlight, a shape. I squinted at the horizon, and saw a horse riding toward me. My heart jumped. It was her! She got closer, and even in the moonlight she was stunning. She slowed her horse down to a trot, and then pulled up beside me. She had several of her packages on the back of her horse. I saw her smile in the moonlight. "Are you ready?" she asked.
I nodded. "Oh, yes." I was ready as I've ever been. Just then, I thought of something I'd left behind in the haste of packing. My locket, my good luck charm from my mother. I couldn't leave that behind. We needed all the good luck we could get. I told her that, and then ran upstairs as fast as I possibly could, without letting anyone see me. I snatched it from the dresser, looked around, and ran back outside. But when I got there, with a dropping of my heart, I saw that she had been discovered. I roared with uncontained rage as I saw her taken by the palace guards. I ran faster than I had ever run in my whole life, covering the distance fairly quickly, but they got to the palace first, and into the great hall. I burst inside, and tried desperately to get to her. I kicked, I tore at their fingers, but they pushed me back. They brought her to my father, who was in the middle of staring out the window. He stared, but with his eyes still dead.
"A spy, from the family Ponsechio." One of the guards said.
I screamed. "She's not a spy! Let her go! I demand it!" I stomped my foot.
My father regarded me cooly. "It's not your place to demand anything. I will absolutely not tolerate such behavior. And as for her, she will be put on trial as a spy, until I have proof otherwise. We will make an example out of her, for anyone who thinks they can invade my palace and leave unscathed. Leave me now, and take her to the dungeon. We will deal with her in the morning."
I roared, damning him in earnest, and even trying to strike him. The guards held me back. I had never raged against something so much in my whole life. I punched at the guards before they finally had to hold my arms. "Damn you, father! You know not what you do!" I pleaded for the guards to release me, calling them by name, and saying that I had not done anything wrong. But my cries were to no avail. They locked her in the dungeon first, where I could hear her calling my name all the while, then me up in my room. I almost got away several times, but they overpowered me. I tried to bite at their fingers, and recieved a sharp blow to the face. I was not privy to the trial, even though I knew it wouldn't be fair. I beat at my door till my hands were bruised. I kicked at the door several times, but it was solid oak. I tore at my hair, and screamed myself hoarse. After a while I collapsed on my bed, eyes staring at nothing, mind racing, and after many hours of despairing, I heard the world-shattering news in their derogatory voices. They spit the words at me, like I was a peasant. She was to be executed in the morning, as befits a filthy spy. I demanded to see my father, to talk with him. I screamed as much as I could with my ragged voice. And finally, he answered my pounding on the door. I leapt at him, pounding his chest with my tiny powerless fists. He watched it all with a sense of total detachment.
"Father, you don't know what you do! She's innocent! Please! I beg of you! This is all I ask, please!" I all but shouted at him. He regarded me devoid of emotion. He was deaf to my cries. I glared, I pleaded, I swore, and then finally there came to be a facade of tranquility prevailing over my true emotions. "Just know this, father." I said, deadly calm dripping from my voice,
"The hour that she dies, you will have lost a daughter. If I ever was that much to you."
I looked at his face, but it was as unchanging as it had been the day my mother died. I think a part of his soul died there, too. "Is this all you wanted?" he asked coolly. He left before I had a chance to answer. I expected as much from him. When I said what I had said, it was a promise. I don't ever break a promise. I just hoped it wouldn't come to that.