Memories.

that's gonna ruin my night.

My phone forces me out of a peaceful slumber at a bright and early seven am. Far too early to be awake. Dragging myself off the mattress I had casually thrown in a corner of the room, I hop in the shower after setting my music on shuffle.

“Since when did you become so cold,
and such a life-less piece of work?
I can't take the sound of you anymore,
or the thought of you.”


I scream along, rinsing the foamy shampoo out of my hair as I do so.

“Don't worry,
Take what you need,
I left you and your dying breed.
But before we forget,
When the lights burn out,
Don't come home crying to me.
I will,
Surrender myself,
For the better health,
Of someone who really cares.”


Bending over in the steamy shower to shave my legs, I pause to take a breath at the same time Austin does.

“Why would you throw it away so fast?
It's gotta' get better than this,
Too hard for too long,
I'm holdin' on,
try to go but it just don't feel right.
This light,
Your eyes,
I'm easy.
I should've known better by now,
But you look so,
Damn good.”


I rings out my hair and proceed to match Austin Carlile word for word.

“I swear to God,
My intentions were gold,
I swear to God,
My intentions were,
Gold.”


I had first heard the band on Myspace, back when it first blew up. I was excited for whenever Carlile would start a new music project, or even if he joined back up with Of Mice & Men. Either or would be perfectly fine with me. That man had too much talent to waste.

Looking at the clock on my phone, I speed up my process of getting ready, quickly blow drying my hair and brushing my teeth.

Slipping on some black skinny jeans and a Day To Remember T-shirt, I smile, thinking about what exactly went on last night. Alan is definitely worth keeping around. If not for a relationship, certainly for friendship.

I grab a Monster on my way out to work. Sure, they weren’t necessarily the best breakfast, but it would get me through the day. I toy with her keys as I walk to her car, slightly wary of my first day at work. Would I be diving straight in, or would they make me scrub and mop floors?

A little of both it turns out.

My boss, a slender, tall man lets me dedicate half my day to shop upkeep and the other half to sketching. “It’ll be good practice. Once I can see you won’t lose me a customer if I let you loose with a needle, we’ll change your schedule.”

Fair enough, I decide, quietly taking the broom and dust pan.

The work isn’t too bad. Mostly light cleaning, and best of all, my boss, Cole, plays music in the background. We have very similar music taste, we discover over lunch break after he plays ‘California’ by Hollywood Undead.

And for only being twenty five, he was also highly successful.

“And so I said,” he pauses, waving his fork in the air for emphasis as he retells his story, “screw you. If you don’t like Motley Crue, you can get out of my shop.” I laugh at his courage.

Cole chuckles with her and we enjoy the quiet lull in the conversation.

My phone buzzes on the countertop.

Alan: so we’re still on for tonight? ;)

“Who’s Alan?” Cole teasingly asks, snatching the phone out of my grasp.

“A friend,” I reply, jumping to try and reach my phone.

“Ah, ah, ah,” he playfully scolds, holding the phone out of my reach.

“You have to give me more than that, Sunshine.” My eyebrow raises at the nickname, my phone momentarily forgotten.

“Sunshine?”

“Because you’re so bouncy. And light. Sunshine fits.” I nod, complacent before jumping up and grabbing my phone out of his grip.

“Hey,” he laughs, pouting. “No fair. I wasn’t paying attention.”

I stick my tongue out, giggling. “I know.”

Sounds good :)) What do you want to do? I reply to Alan, Cole looking over my shoulder. I playfully push him away, locking my phone as I do so.

Cole is just one of those guys you immediately click with. He has such a positive vibe that you can’t help but get along with him.

“You gotta give the boy more than that!” He urges and I ignore him, taking a forkful out of my salad.

He groans, leaning against the marble counter. “Take my advice, Sunshine!”

“And why should I?” I don’t say it offensively, just matter of factly.

“Because I’ve been in a relationship for the past three years! I know what I’m doing.” He winks as my phone vibrates, signaling Alan’s response.

i was thinking we could hang out at my band practice and get some pizza? let you meet the guys and get some practice in so i can kill two birds with one stone :)

“Oh, he’s in a band?” I nod, only slightly annoyed by his pestering.

“Yes, Cole. Now what do I say?”

“Woah there, Sunshine. Just say okay.”

I do as he says, only adding a smiley face.

The bell rings above the shop door and Cole goes to greet the customer, but not before turning around to warn me, “Don’t worry. I’m not through talking to you about this Alan kid.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Wooo, long chapter! Well, long for me. Leave me some comments? :))