Status: Comments=Frequent updates

Surviving an Endless War

It Seemed so Real

The morning came and went and by the time the sun was almost high into the sky we had our things packed up and were headed to Oklahoma. I drove down the blacktopped road until a vine covered welcoming sign into Oklahoma caught Zacky's eye and he pointed it out to me. I pulled over on the side of the road and let Jerry know that we hit Oklahoma and he could lead us. Everyone followed behind us as Jerry turned onto the first backroad he came to.

It was almost time for the sun to go down by the time we reached the first place on Jerry's mental list of safest places we could hold up in. The place was once a school where Jerry used to go when he was a child. It was pretty big but we would have to search it from top to bottom just to make sure there were no biters. I pulled beside Jerry's truck and shut the engine down. Zacky and I got out of my car as the others were pulling in next to us.

"I know this is a pretty big building but we should be fine here. I mean at least for a few days." Jerry said as he came over to my car.

"We'll have to search the place before we settle in. Jerry, you go with the Berry brothers, and Larry. I'll take Zacky, Matt and Brian. Jimmy and Johnny, you all stay out here with the girls and if anything happens honk your horn twice and we'll be out of here." They nodded in sync and I grabbed one of the crossbows from the backseat before going into the school building.

I kept the weapon aimed in front of me as we walked the halls. Dust covered every inch of the lockers and some were even open. We checked classroom after classroom but they were all empty and a few desks and chairs were turned over. We got to the gymnasium doors and I peeked in the small window and seen all the biters that were locked inside with a heavy chain and padlock. I didn't see any other way out but here so we should be fairly safe. I'll still want 2 people to stand guard in the cafeteria leading to the gym for safety purposes. I wouldn't want them to suddenly get free of their imprisonment and reek havoc for us. We met back up with Jerry, Matt and Jason, and Larry where 2 hallways connected.

"Did you guys find any biters?"

"There's a bunch in the gym but they're locked in there. They didn't even notice when Blaze peeked through the window." Brian said propping his gun on his shoulder.

"Are you sure that's going to be safe? I mean what if they get out?"

"The door was chained with a heavy duty chain and padlock. When I looked inside I didn't see any other way that they could get out but I still want 2 people in the cafeteria making sure they don't get out through the heavy metal doors. What did you guys find?" I explained shifting my weight onto my good leg.

"We checked the office and it was empty plus some classrooms and they looked like a tornado hit them. There were desks toppled over along with chairs. Where are we going to be staying?"

"I figured since the office is pretty big we could hold up in there." Matt Berry suggested.

"Sounds good. Let's get the others inside and settle in for the night." We left the building and got what we needed out of our vehicles before setting up inside the office.

Once everything was set up where we would sleep, Payge and I went into the kitchen of the Cafeteria and checked it out. There were no biters so we were good. Payge checked shelves and pantries while I looked through the refrigerators. There was nothing in the big containers that could even possibly be eaten but Payge did find a few more canned items. There wasn't any power so the stoves wouldn't work. We left the kitchen area and back into the office where I grabbed the hotplate before taking Payge back to the kitchen. No one had eaten since this morning, so Payge was helping me fix some of the canned food she had found in the pantry. I know it wouldn't be much but there aren't any woods around the school and I sure as hell wasn't going to go miles down the road just to go hunting.

We finished cooking the canned vegetables and Payge went to get everyone as I got some plates I had found along with some silverware. I loaded the plates with food and set them up on the serving line just like the workers would do if school was in session. One by one the plates disappeared and I fixed myself a plate and went over to the tables and sat down with Zacky.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'll take first watch in the Cafeteria with Jerry. Matt and Johnny, you guys watch the adjoining hallways on both sides of the office that way you both can see each other." I said grabbing my gun next to my bag.

"I can take watch with Jerry. You haven't slept since the day before yesterday."

"I can handle it." I said turning to Zacky once everyone had left.

"Alright...but I'm taking your place in 2 hours not 3." I nodded and Zacky hugged me before giving me a quick kiss on the lips and giving me his be careful look. I met up with Jerry in the Cafeteria and we decided it would be best if he took one side of the room facing the second set of chained double doors and I would sit by the other set.

I sat there at one of the tables with my weapon laying in my lap with my attention focused on the chained door. I could faintly hear the moaning of the biters and I could clearly see them walking passed the small window but they didn't even notice me sitting just a few feet away. I guess it was because there was no light except for the moon and they couldn't smell me. I rubbed my eyes feeling exhaustion passing through my body. I know I should go to sleep but I just don't know what's keeping me from doing it. My eyelids started getting heavier and heavier until I couldn't hold them open any longer.

I awoke to the sound of screaming and I jumped up in a hurry. I looked around and I was no longer in the cafeteria at the school...I was in my home. What the hell? How did I get back in California? Another scream erupted through the house and I ran up stairs following the blood curdling scream. I kicked open a door and saw the biters feasting on my family. Rage shook my body as I took out each biter. I knelt down at each member of my family but they were lifeless. I held both Zacky and Payge in my arms and let out an agonizing scream of my own. How the fuck could this happen? I laid them back down on the floor and got to my feet. With all the power in my arms I punched the wall over and over until my knuckles were broken and bloody. I heard movement behind me and when I turned Zacky was standing and so was Payge.

"You let us die."

"No...no I couldn't get up here fast enough." I said feeling tears spring into my eyes.

"You fell asleep on us Blaze. You killed your own family."

"Our blood is on your hands now." Zacky said with so much hate in his soul. I stood there crying silent tears as they came over to me.

"You will pay for your crimes, Blaze. We've came back to collect what is ours." Zacky and Payge rushed forwards without warning and took chunks out of my neck.


I woke with a start and jumped right out of the chair. Zacky looked at me with worry etched in his eyes. I looked towards the gym doors and they were still chained and the biters walked around aimlessly without even a notice to my quick movement.

"Baby, are you alright?"

"Yeah I'm fine." I said bring my breathing back to normal before looking at Zacky.

"Are you sure?" I nodded and looked back at the chained up door. That fucking dream was so real.

"Why don't you go lay down. I'll take your watch." Zacky said handing me the weapon I had dropped when I shot up out of my seat. I took the gun and slowly walked back into the office. What the hell is happening to me? I thought I would never have another nightmare about this kind of shit. I shook my head and laid down on the cold tile floor and covered myself up to my chest. What I don't understand about my dreams is why they are so life like. Can it mean that it will happen if I don't pay attention?
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? What did you all think about Blaze's dream?