Status: Comments=Frequent updates

Surviving an Endless War

A Natural Born Killer

It's been 2 weeks since this all started and so far there's only been a few of those people come around here and what's really interesting is that they are highly attracted to sound. I remember watching a dog getting attacked by those brainless idiots and it reminded me of the times I had to put a rabid dog down overseas. Those killers are just like a relentless rabid animals. They rip a body to almost nothing and eat a little bit of the carcass but then move on. I've had to shoot down a few of them and the first time I did, Payge and the other girls looked at me like I murdered them. Hell I was just putting them out of their misery. No one deserves to walk around dead and rotting.

I watched the sun come over the tops of the trees and I could feel the warmth of the sun on my skin through the curtains. I turned off the battery powered lantern since the sun was now providing enough light to see. Last week when the last news broadcast came on, the power went completely out. Everyone had tried their cell phones but it was like they didn't have any reception. It was really impossible because there's a cell tower not too far from the firing range. Thank god I stocked up on batteries for flash lights and the lanterns that charge the batteries themselves. I rubbed my tired eyes since I had been up all night keeping watch. Zacky didn't want me to stay up all night but I told him someone has to watch the house just as a precautionary measure. Since the power's been out, the ice I put in the cooler to keep the meat, vegetables, and fruit from going bad, has almost completely turned back into a liquid. We'll have to throw out that meat soon but the vegetables and fruit can last a little longer.

I got up from my seat and walked quietly into the kitchen. I grabbed the coffee can from the cabinet and began filling the perculator's basket with the finely crushed coffee beans. I know when everyone wakes up that they'll be wanting their morning coffee. The good thing about a metal perculator is that you can make coffee with any kind of heat source. Since the stove doesn't work, I went down to my cave where I grabbed a hotplate. It didn't require electricity to power it. The sun was all the power I needed to get it hot enough to brew the dark brown rejuvenating liquid. The smell of the coffee filled the kitchen waking me up more than drinking it. Not long after the coffee had finished, I heard the first round of footsteps.

"How long have you been up?" Payge asked when she came into the kitchen. I grabbed a cup down from the cabinet and poured her some coffee before handing it to her.

"I haven't been to sleep yet."

"You need sleep Blaze. That can't be good for you." she said in concern.

"I've went without sleep before so this isn't anything new to me."

"I know but you've had enough of that life." she commented and I knew she was right. I need to sleep so I can be 100 percent focused on everything around me.

"I'll talk to the others later about taking watch in shifts."

"What's the point in watch anyways? They haven't come around here in a long while and what ones that do come this way you've already killed them." she said sipping the coffee. Her tone was that of anger of maybe mixed with something else.

"Payge I'm not having another debate over this."

"But you kill them right out! I know you better than that...and you would never kill a civilian like that." she stated and I slammed the coffee cup I had in my hand down on the counter breaking it to pieces.

"Those things are no longer people! No one can survive having their throat tore open but they get back up and start killing! Don't you tell me that I would never do something like that because I had to do some pretty fucked up shit in the military." I sighed loudly as I rubbed my head and looked away from her. I bent down and started cleaning the broken glass off the floor.

"Blaze...I'm sorry. I didn't know."

"Now you do. I'm not proud of what I was ordered to do over there but I did it. I'll take the same killing instinct I found in the service and I'll use it on them. I will never kill a living, breathing person ever again. You are living and breathing. Matt is, Michelle, Brian, Lacey, Jimmy, Johnny, Leana, the Berry brothers, and Larry Jacobson....they are living, breathing human beings and I will protect them all just like I did overseas with my comrades. If that means killing those fucks outside...I will." I explained as I threw away the big chunks of glass.

"I am sorry Blaze."

"I know little sis. Just know I'm trying to keep everyone here alive." I said and she nodded as she began to help me clean up the mess I had made. Now the rest of the group needs to learn how to fight back against these things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It didn't take long into the morning for everyone to get up and demolish the pot of coffee I had fixed. After Payge's argument with me, we helped each other get breakfast ready and now everyone is eating the eggs, bacon, and sausage we had fixed.

"There's something we need to dicuss." I said speaking through the silence that filled the kitchen.

"What is it baby?"

"I can't keep staying up all night taking watch and I definately can't be the only one killing those undead fucks outside. I know you all see them as people but the minute they stopped breathing and their hearts stopped beating...they quit being human. What I'm suggesting is that each person takes watch every 3 hours that way everyone get's their rest in." I explained but I didn't get the reaction I was expecting. I was expecting all of them to put up some kind of argument but none of them rejected the idea.

"Is anyone going to sa anything?" Payge asked looking around the room.

"We'll do what you want Blaze. We know those bodies out there are no longer people and you're trying to keep us safe but we'll all work together to keep each other safe." I looked at Matt unbelieving. Did he really just say that?

"We heard the argument between you and Payge this morning. You're right Blaze. Everything you said to Payge makes perfect sense." Matt said laughing when I gave him yet another look. We continued to talk about how the dead are highly attracted to sounds so we al agreed that the best method is to kill them in hand to hand combat. It didn't take long for 10 of those dead fucks to step onto my property. I showed them how to take them out and if I could take all 10 of them out with a machete and one leg, the sure as hell could do it. More wandered onto the property and I watched as they all pitched in and killed them with a single blow to the skull. For people who are so hell bent on thinking these undead beings are sick humans...they sure are natural born killers.
♠ ♠ ♠
So here's the first 2 chapters following the completed stories Wounded Warrior No More and American Soldier. I hope you all enjoy this story and give me lots of comments. Don't forget to recommend and subscribe