Status: Comments=Frequent updates

Surviving an Endless War

Searching

The last few days have been completely insane. The biters, we've decided to call them, have grown into huge numbers but they had always walked right by the house paying us no mind but that was a long time ago. The day still haunts my memories...

The biters walk by here everyday and don't even pay any attention to us. We've gotten good at keeping as quiet as little church mice and that's saved our asses more times than one. The groups of the biters are getting bigger and bigger with each passing day. Instead of them being lone rabid animals...they're herds looking for some warm body to rip apart. I releaved Matt from watch and I sat down in his seat. An hour passed by and I could't believe what I was seeing. A herd much bigger than any of the one's that have passed by here before. I shut off the light so they wouldn't spot it and I kept a careful watch. One of them ventured off the path and came straight for the house. Others behind it came along making the group in front turn and head this way. I growled in frustration as I got up and went upstairs. I woke everyone up and told them what was going on before they grabbed their weapons and caem into the living room.

"We can't let them get in here. Shoot the bastards." I said raising my weapon and knocking out the window. I began firing the automatic and watched them drop to the ground from a fatal shot through the skull. The others joined in but there were just too many to kill off.

"Get your shit into the cars! We have to leave and we have to leave now!" I screamed as I fired. Zacky helped the others get their things back into their vehicles before getting to our things. I kept on shooting and reloading knocking out as many as I could.

"Blaze get in the car!! We have to go!" I ran over to the car and got into the driver's side. I let the engine roar to life and as I sped down the driveway, I stuck my weapon out the window and fired.


We had escaped but then we went over to the mall to get Jerry. I knew he was working the day all this happened and when we arrived he had sealed himself inside the store. Payge and I helped him get all of his weapons and ammunition into his truck outside while the others were making sure to kill the few biters that were in the mall. Jerry followed behind my car as we drove all over the state looking for any sign of a refugee camp but there was nothing. The military camp I attended for my training was littered with the dead bodies of soldiers. We checked the compound and loaded up on the rations I used to carry with me overseas and grabbed anything we wanted. Luckily I knew about their gas supply for the other vehicles so I put all the gas cans into the bed of Jerry's truck along with any fluid that would go in the cars. I didn't want one of them being broke down. I knew a little bit about mechanics but where the hell would I get parts?

We searched and searched for a place for us to stay but everything was either overrun by the biters or smelled of dead and rotting bodies. I pulled over at a gas station and the others followed right behind.

"Why are we stopping?"

"I think we could use a break from driving for a while and maybe the station has some food we can take with us." I said getting out of the car with Zacky. The others met me at my car with confused looks.

"Blaze needs a break from driving before we continue on."

"Why don't you guys go check out the store and make sure everythings good in there. We might be spending the night here." I said leaning against my car. Payge came over to me while Matt, Zacky, Jimmy, Johnny, and Brian went into the gas station and looked around.

"You really want to stay here for the night?" Michelle asked me raising her eyebrows.

"Yeah. It's the only place I think of so far."

"Why don't we just go to a hotel or something? I mean we can have any room we want." Lacey said smiling.

"Hotels are not the first place I would go."

"Why?" Michelle asked again.

"Hotels are full of people especially around here. Now what's to say we go to a hotel and that place is overtaken by the biters. None of us would get out alive. It's just like in the service. You dig in where you can out of sight so the enemy can't see or hear you."

"That makes sense." Leana commented. I nodded and looking over at the store as the guys came out.

"The place is empty. We checked the back and secured the door so nothing could get in."

"Alright back the vechiles up so that we can get in and just go if something happens." I said and Zacky took the keys from me and backed up my car to show the other how I wanted them while I kept watch.

"Come on inside honey." Zacky said from behind me. I just about jumped right out of my skin and he chuckled before taking my hand and leading me into the station. Zacky had mine and his things together already and I wasn't even outside for very long. I went behind the counter and grabbed several cartons of my Marlboro Blacks and threw a couple over to Brian.

"Who's taking first watch?" Jimmy asked sitting up on the counter.

"I am."

"No your not. You've been driving all day long and you need your rest. I can take first watch." Zacky said raising his weapon and placing it on his shoulder.

"I can do it."

"Blaze, he's right. I'll take you place." Payge said and I was about to interject but she gave me her imfamous no look. I chuckled and came back around the counter. It's really good to see that Payge is stepping up. Maybe Matt talked to her or something? I don't know but I like it.

I carefully sat down and leaned my back against the wall as I took a cigarette out of the pack and lit it. I really needed that. I laid my weapon down in my lap and I watched Payge and Zacky by the door. Everyone else had found their spots and were sleeping. The moon was full tonight which made my mind race with what we were going to do once the sun came up. We've been just about everywhere in California and everything's gone or inhabital. The only thing I can think of to do is leave the state and try somewhere else.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Please you guys...it helps me to update faster