You Said You read Me Like a Book

Chapter Three - Ain't it ironic I age so well

My meeting with the principal had lasted for a good couple of hours, I had found out his name was Gerard somewhere into the second hour after I had awkwardly told him about my hobbies and how the moving had gone. He finally let me out when the lunch bell rang, and at that point I had pretty much heard all there was to know of the school, it’s history and reputation and whatnot.
It wasn’t too difficult finding my way to the canteen, seeing I only had to follow the hoard. My backpack was heavy; I had been given the basic books for each subject, which made it awkward seeing few of the students were carrying their book bags. Luckily it didn’t take long before I was standing in line in a large aula with floor to roof windows and plain white walls.
I was clutching my tray as my plate was filled up with something that, too my big surprise, didn’t look too unappealing, I was trying my best not to eavesdrop at the conversations going on around me.
I reached the end of the queue as I took a deep breath, before glancing around the room.
This was always the worst part about being new, the “where to sit” dilemma. I’m a social person, and though I’m used to the moving thing by now, it still sucks not having a place to sit or, friends, in general.
I looked around awkwardly enough, and my eyes met the ones of the young mister Barakat. Even though I’m 90% sure that sitting with him and his friends would probably be a bore, seeing I have no hobbies that would sound impressive next to the leader of the chess, geography, math and what-not club, I still considered it, cause anything was better than sitting alone, right?
I raised my eyebrows at him and he gave me a small nod, as if to signalize that it was okay to come sit with them.
I started making my way past the numerous groups and cliques that were chatting away lively, jumping over bags, trying not to spill anything on anyone and thereby creating enemies.

Something I really had to pay attention to as my path was blocked hallway there. I looked up at the guy in my way; he was short, tan with dark, wavy hair hanging down his shoulders. He had an amused grin and his arms were crossed over his chest.
“Well well well, look what we have here, the newbie right? » he gave me a smirk as he rose an eyebrow at me.
I nodded hesitantly, I wasn’t exactly sure what he was trying to do, but all in all he didn’t seem too bad.
« So, senior or junior? » he came up next to me and wrapped an arm around my shoulder, looking at me from the side
« Um… senior? » I mumbled, trying to balance the food on my tray as the sudden contact made me lose my balance for a second.
« Fair enough, follow me » he gave me a hard clap on the back, before he started leading the way towards a table at the end of the room, motioning for me to follow him.
I looked at Jack again, he didn’t seem to pay attention to me; he was just staring at the boy in surprise.

« It’s him right? » I heard the boy ask as I came by the table, he pointed his thumb towards me. I recognized the Oli-guy from earlier, who nodded and grinned as I gave him a greeting nod.
« Ah, there you are mate, how was the meeting with mister Way-down-hill? » he chuckled and wiggled his eyebrows at me, I sighed amused «I think boring covers the four hour long conversation»
«I can imagine. Knock yourself down, you’ve already met Vic…» he chuckled and pointed towards the boy who had led the way, he gave me another one of his smiles as he placed himself at what I assumed was his seat.
« That’s Tony, and there’s Jaime and Matt, and that fucker is Vic’s brother; Mike » he pointed at the people around the table as he spoke
« Seems like you already know the slut of our gang » Mike laughed and stuck his tongue at Oli who simply rolled his and smirked.
« So how are you enjoying your first day in the hellhole? » Jaime changed the subject as I seated myself between Oli and Matt.

« Well, I haven’t really seen much, a lot of theory not so much of practice» I mumbled and received a chuckle from Matt
«Well that’s Way for ya’, you should meet his brother, maths teacher, same shit there»
«Well, you saw enough when you got lost, didn’t you?» Oli chimed in as he stuffed a fork filled with pasta into his mouth, winking jokingly at me
«Way to sound cocky seeing you ended up in the music classroom whilst looking for the exit your first day» Tony mumbled sarcastically, laughter coming from the rest of the table.
I grinned at him as the subject of conversation went from music and girls to school and jobs - Which only Tony and Vic seemed to have at the moment after Matt was caught having an affaire with his boss (Whom apparently was a total babe)
And through it all I felt strangely included.

---

“Come on dude, I’ll walk you to class if you wanna?” Vic patted my back roughly as we split with the rest of the guys in the hallway
“Um, sure thanks” I smiled vaguely, and started following him up the stairs like the lost puppy I was.
« What’s your locker number? » he asked as we reached the second level
« Oh, right, it’s number 564, I think» I glanced down at the paper Way had given me, trying my best to read his messy handwriting
« Alright that’s this way” he pointed to the left
“Mine is the opposite end, 371 if you ever need anything. What’s your first class? » We walked down a hallway, on both sides the walls covered in silver lockers with people franticly trying to get their books in a hurry and get going to their next class.
« English literature » I mumbled, I didn’t mind, I had always liked English but Vic’s face made me second-guess my judgment.
« What teacher? » he asked as he stopped in front of a locker and pointed at it “that one” he said
« Um… Franceschi? » I tried and I received a simple nod from Vic as if saying I pronounced it correct
« Poor you… Anyways, I think a friend of mine has the same class, I’ll introduce you if you’d like?» I smiled at him as I put my backpack in the locker and started searching for my English books.
« Why are you guys so nice to me exactly? » I blurted out, unsure of where I wanted to go with this, but I was calmed down when he chuckled.
« You seem cool, and I know how shit it is being new at a school, and honestly you looked terrified in lunch today so we pretty much decided to help you out »
« Thanks… » I mumbled. People were starting to disappear into their classrooms, and he gave me a nod for me to follow him again but as I was about to move I noticed he rose an eyebrow at something behind me.
« Hey look, it’s Barakat » he nudged me and laughed vaguely as he nodded towards Jack.
He was walking up the hallway carrying his books; next to him was a short guy with black messy hair. My first thought would be that they obviously had to be good friends, purely based on their clothes. The typical goody-two-shoes look.

« Lost faggot? » Vic’s voice carried past me and I saw Jacks face snap up, I noticed how his energy drained from his eyes as they met ours.
« Um… n-no » he said lowly as they approached us, he hugged his books tightly to his chest as he lowered his head.
« Leave him alone Vic » the boy next to him said sternly as he took a step forwards, as if he was protecting the taller boy behind him.
« Aw, you’ve got your boyfriend to stand up for you, how cute » Vic cooed fake sweetly, rolling his eyes
« Just ignore him, he’s a cunt » the boy said to Jack as he waved at him to continue walking
« I think you need to fucking learn to respect those who are older than you » Vic’s voice was stern and he took a step towards the guy, he was a tiny bit shorter than him but no doubt scarier.
« I think you need to fucking leave » the boy said with an equal hateful tone
« Kellin, just stop » Jack mumbled vaguely, trying to pull the boy away and continue his pace, but every move seemed forced
« Yeah ‘Kellin’, listen to your boyfriend » Vic smirked vaguely
« Ignore him » I told Vic, nudging him to signalize he wasn’t worth it.
« Only if you listen to yours » Kellin grinned
For a moment you could clearly see Vic‘s eyes darkening, and suddenly Kellin’s back hit the lockers behind him, Vic was holding him slightly above the ground as he tugged his hair roughly

« What’s going on here!? » I looked over at the man standing a couple of feet away, his arms crossed and eyebrow raised.
« Quinn here, is being a bitch » Vic growled lowly, but his eyes never left Kellin’s
« Mister Fuentes, please watch your language! » the man said as he forcefully tore the boys apart
« Mister Barakat back to class now! Who are you? » He glanced at me with a look that seemed, disappointed
« Um, Alex Gaskarth, new kid » I mumbled awkwardly as I scratched my neck
« Get back to your class as well»

« Yeah… okay? » I looked at Vic who just shook his head at me and gave me a small smirk
« Just go man, I’ll be fine » the man once again gave Vic a warning look

I nodded and started looking for my classroom again, only to quickly get lost
« You have English literature right? » Jacks voice surprised me slightly from next to me and I just nodded simply
« Follow me then »
♠ ♠ ♠
I know I haven't updated in like, ages, but yeah, here's the next chapter :)

-Hannah