Status: Completed but do plan on revising

Ugly

1/1

I see her sometimes, in the early mornings after she's awaken from her sleep. She rises from her bed and walks to the bathroom to get ready for the day. At first she doesn't pay the mirror any mind. What does it know anyway? She washes her hands carefully taking all the time in the world. When her hands brush the sink handles to turn off the running water, she finally looks up.

She looks in the mirror and for a split second, she can see her, the woman she would be if only she weren't so horrible looking. For a few minutes, she studies herself and catches glance of who she is.

If her hair was shinier. If her teeth were straight. If she were skinnier. If her eyes were bigger. If her nose was smaller. If her face wasn't so wide to begin with.

She sees herself, hair shiner, teeth straight, the body she's always wanted, eyes wide-eyed, nose smaller and a slimmer face. In those few minutes, she is beautiful. Then the window which illuminated the room turns dark and the mirror reveals to her who she really is.

Ugly.

The mirror haunts her and taunts her and shows who she can't be. As well as showing who she is. There's no escaping it. She has to eventually look at herself no matter how much it hurts.