The Ghost of You

The Ghost of You

Wine was flowing. Spirits were high. I clinked glasses with my brother and downed my drink in one. I put the empty glass down and made my way outside, gulping the fresh air.
"Mikes..."
I turned to look at my brother.
"I'm scared, Gerard. I don't want to go. I'm only here for Papa..."
"He would be proud, I'm sure."
I smiled weakly and cuddled up to his side. We were to be sent to war tomorrow. I didn't want to go. I didn't want to risk my life on the battlefield.
"Gerard, could I talk to Mikey alone?"
Gerard went back inside and I smiled at Robert, my secret lover. He slipped his arms around me and I played with his tie.
"You look good in uniform.. Maybe we could have some fun tonight.."
I giggled and he smiled softly at me, kissing me gently. I frowned slightly.
"What if I lost you? Bobby, I'm so scared..."
"You're not going to lose me Mikey. I promise."
I smiled weakly.
"Mikey, there's been something I've been meaning to do for a while now..."
I watched him as he got on one knee, pulling a simple ring out of his pocket.
"Michael James Way, will you marry me?"
I nodded unable to speak. He slid it onto my right ring finger and we kissed softly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I opened my eyes, squashed between my brother and my husband. Gerard had married Bob and I minutes after our engagement. The truck stopped and I jerked along with the movement. Bob helped me out and I ran down, immediately diving into shelter. Gerard and Bob stayed alongside me. I screamed as a bomb went off behind me; I felt the heat on my leg. I curled up and started shooting over at the trenches. Bob helped me crawl forwards and Gerard covered us from behind. I lost sight of Bob and screamed. I forced my emotions back and took cover, looking around. I saw him at the front, helping Ray with a young man. I recognised him as Peter. He'd barely passed training. I started running over. I heard Gerard.
"MIKEY NO!"
The pain exploded inside me. I feel to the ground screaming. I could feel the blood streaming down my chest and coughed up blood as Ray fell next to me. He applied pressure to my wound and I screamed in pure agony. Everything was blurry.
"GERARD, BOB PLEASE!"
Frank and Gerard's fight could be heard from where I was; Bob was screaming my name and then it went silent. I heard Ray calling my name but it sounded like he was miles away. Everything started going dark.
'I'm coming Papa...'