In the Eye of the Storm

Stresses of an Alpha

John stood at the wooden podium, facing his pack members. This was the third pack meeting he called, and already the Alpha’s house couldn’t hold the growing numbers. The look of hope was in each of their eyes, begging for good news.

Taking a deep breath, he began. “Thank you all for showing up today. As you can see, more of our packs men are joining us. I would like to welcome you all back. Our numbers are finally growing, and will continue to grow. It was brought to our attention that cameras were found in the south section our of territory. As of today, and until further notice, that section is off limits to all but our scouts.” Looking each member in the eye, he saw the hope starting to leave. “I cannot stress enough how crucial it is to continue to take precautions when running in your wolf form. You must always stay alert to what is around you before phasing. Watch out for dangers in the woods and just stay safe.”

Taking a step back, he allowed his Beta to take the podium.

“I ran through the numbers again, and we are going to ask every one of you to contribute a little more to the pack fund.” Groans filled the room. “With the loan our Alpha’s brother gave us, we will be able to stay afloat. If we are to continue to strive and make this place all it can be, every member must help.”

John stood from his chair, quieting the growing complaints.

Daniel waited for the room to grow silent before continuing. “Once we can get money coming in, you wont need to contribute that extra money. Our Alpha wants us to get to the point where the members don’t need to contribute at all, but that will take time.” Daniel paused, letting this bit of information sink in. “On to some good news. The apartments in town are fixed up, so we should be getting some income from them soon. We are trying to think of different ways to bring in money, and we are open to suggestions any of you have.” Stepping down, Daniel gave the spotlight back to John.

“That about sums everything up. I know the extra contribution is going to stink, but it is for the good of the pack. Just remember, it will be worth it in the end.” Clearing his throat, John finished. “The floor is open for comments, concerns, anything you would like to talk about.”

The room fell silent, everyone looking around for any who wanted to speak.

An older woman stepped forward. “I have a question Alpha.” Her voice raspy with age. “Now that more members are returning to the pack, what are we going to do about the living arrangements?”

“Your name?”

“Nadia.”

“Nadia we all must do our part in sheltering our members who do not yet have a reliable roof over their head. I understand that many of the houses are over capacity, and you are ready to live comfortably in your own home. We gain more hands everyday. With every man that returns we are able to work harder and faster. I would offer space in the Alpha house, but as many of you already know we are filled to the brink. Everyone just has to be patient and in time we will all have our own space.” Glancing around the room he continued. “After the meeting Daniel and I will sit down with the housing supervisor and go over the numbers, just to make sure we aren’t over crowding some and not others.”

When no one else stepped forward, John dismissed the meeting and took a seat next to Daniel at the head table. “Is it me or does it seem like we haven’t been able to give the good news they are looking for?” Running a hand through his hair, he blew out a deep breath. “Trying to fix all the shit Stephen did to this pack is really starting to become a pain in my ass.”

“Tell me about it.” Maggie dropped a stack of papers in front of him.

Looking up at his self appointed housing supervisor, John grinned. Maggie was a little spitfire. She may be only eighteen but she was very organized and hated to have her work messed with. Alpha or not, she snapped at him for messing up her paperwork. He had to admire her though, she never really crossed the line, but knew had to walk it.

Taking a seat across from him she laid her hand on the table top. “I understand you can only build as fast as you can, but I have one request of you.”

“And that would be?” John raised an eyebrow, knowing whatever she responded with would be impossible.

“Build faster.” Spreading out her papers she started going over the lists. “These homes are filled. I can’t seem to squeeze in anymore pack members. Allison and her mate Jeff have four pups of their own. We have two woman living with them who are going to give birth anytime now. Not just that, but they have their mates living there along with others.. One house has sixteen pack members in it. Sixteen is way more then any house can handle. I have a list of members that are staying in town right now. We need to get them places to stay as soon as we can.”

John clinched his jaw. The thought of his pack not being able to stay on their land bothered him immensely.

“As much as we can’t take the hit, we may need hire someone to come in and help with building the houses.” Maggie looked between her Alpha and Beta, surprised at the dumbfounded looks on their faces.

“Hire someone? What are you crazy Maggie?” Daniel was shocked anyone would suggest that.

“She’s right. We can’t do it alone. Not when so many don’t have homes to call their own.” John watched as Maggie looked at Daniel with a look of triumph. “Except we wont have just anyone. I’ll call my brother and see if he can afford to send us some help.”

“I’ll go get a list of the material we need, and go put an order in. I’ll see if they have speed delivery.” Daniel stood, nodding to his Alpha before leaving.

************************************************************************

Daniel walked out of Sanderson Hardware. Things were looking up, he was able to order the items they needed to finish up the last of the building. Two out of the three apartment already had potential renters, and the scout hadn’t located any traps in the past few days. Picking up his cell, he phoned John.

“Placed the order. Yeah, they should have it next week. Told them we would pick it up when it comes in. Sasha is going to meet with the prospective tenants later today. Going to pick up some food then on my way back.” Hanging up the phone, Daniel smiled. The weight of things would finally ease off of his Alpha’s back