Signals

No, I got this

“I should call her,” Tom mumbled as he stared at his phone. The lit screen revealed Annie’s contact information and his thumb was hovering over the call button. Louise reached out and pried it from his hands, giving him a sympathetic look.

“What did she say, exactly?”

“That she knew that long distance relationships don’t work, and that she’d rather try something new than waiting for me to return from LA,” Tom answered before running his hands across his tired face. Louise winced and he noticed. “What? What does it mean?” She reached across the table and touched his hand gently.

“I think she has someone else,” Louise replied, wanting to be honest with him. Tom’s face broke into yet another pained expression and Louise felt a wave of guilt. “Maybe she doesn’t, I could be reading too much into it-”

“No, Louise, I needed to hear that,” Tom said dismissively. “If she wants to try something new instead of waiting for me, then there has to be another guy. I never thought that LA was the problem.” Louise gave Tom’s hand a short squeeze before he used it to scull some of his beer.

“You’ll be fine. She wasn’t worth it.”

“I know,” he nodded, agreeing that he would eventually get over the woman. “So how’s Daniel? I’m sorry for pulling you away from him tonight.” Louise shook her head casually.

“It’s fine. You’re a good friend, you’re more important than a new boyfriend,” she shrugged. The second Tom had called, Louise didn’t even hesitate to ditch her date. Once Tom was in LA, she’d have all the time in the world to devote to getting to know Daniel.

“You hungry?” Tom asked as he glanced over at the pub’s short menu scrawled onto a cheap blackboard.

“Yeah, actually,” Louise smiled, glad that Tom was changing the subject. She quickly scanned the board and once she had made her decision she looked back over at Tom to see him pulling his wallet out. “You don’t have to…”

“No, I got this. It’s fine,” Tom insisted as he stood. Louise gave him her order and he walked away to order their food, his head bowed slightly and his shoulders hunched forwards a little. Louise hoped more than ever that he could find a woman that would treat him right.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you Doctor.Vengeance for the comment! I hope you guys like this update :)