Signals

What did you do right?

Louise stirred the thick soup slowly and glanced across at her sous chef Emily to check that the grilled chicken was coming along nicely. Her phone vibrated in her apron pocket and she pulled it out, deciding that she had enough time to talk.

“Hello,” Louise said calmly, pretending that Christopher wasn’t still on her mind whenever her cell phone buzzed.

“Hey, Tom again,” Tom said with a hint of urgency that Louise picked up on. Her eyes flicked to the clock on the wall. It was nearly the end of the lunch hour, which meant that her working day would be over before she knew it.

“How was the lunch date?” she questioned and a tiny groan came over the speaker.

“I’m on my way to my imaginary car as we speak. Excuse me, sir! Please don’t give me that parking ticket!” Tom exclaimed and Louise cracked up laughing before frowning.

“Sorry it didn’t go well.”

“She pretty much disliked everything I had a passion for,” Tom summarised and Louise became lost for sympathetic words. “Listen, are you free tonight? Did you want to meet at a bar and teach each other more about the opposite sex? Because I clearly made a huge mistake with that last woman.” Louise felt her heartstrings being tugged at because of his frustrated tone. She could definitely relate to what he was feeling.

“Yeah, that would be great. Is seven too early?” Louise wondered.

“Sounds good. How about Judy’s? Is that close to your place?” Tom suggested, naming a bar that he frequented.

“Close enough,” Louise nodded and a waitress called out for her. “I’ve gotta go, I’ll see you then.” She hung up before Tom could reply and poured a bowl of soup for the waitress to serve. When Louise turned around she was met with a cheeky grin from Emily.

“Who was that?” she asked with raised eyebrows and Louise shrugged.

“Just a guy,” she dismissed while preparing the elaborate salad for the grilled chicken to be added to.

“You haven’t had a guy call you for months now,” Emily remarked, ensuring that her voice stayed positive instead of insulting. “What did you do right?” Louise gave her friend a playful glare.

“I’m just friends with him, that’s what I’ve done differently,” she answered as she wondered why that had to be what made the difference.

“I’ll take him,” Emily offered.

“Get the chicken,” Louise insisted, not wanting to talk about her depressing love life any longer.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks a bunch to Kristenmae89 for commenting! :)