Heart of Onyx

Two; Discussions

Onyx's Perspective.
~~~

As usual, the next day of school was a blur. Homework; Test; Classwork; Lunch; Group work; Homework; you get the picture. Nothing fun, nothing worth mentioning.

What happens after school is what's important. Rivi and I met at our usual place, underneath the stairs in the language hall. We were waiting for Kodi to finish his last class. Rivi and I skipped our final period, as we do every other tuesday. We both had perfect grades in that class so our teacher doesn't say anything. He just gives us the homework the day before and thats that. Its 2:13 now. 12 minutes to go until the final bell releases students from this hellhole for the rest of the day.

"So who do you think your mate is going to be? Or rather, who do you HOPE its going to be?" Rivi's always subtle. Never beats around the bush. I tilted my head, thoughfully.

"I really don't know.. No guy has ever really impressed me and made me want to be mates with him." I've had boyfriends, yeah. Kissed a little, did this and that, but no one has ever made me feel like THAT. It was just a fling. Something to pass the time. I guess you could say I'm pretty heartless when it comes to my relationships.

"What about Joey?" She asked, peeking through the window of a nearby classroom.

"Joey...? Joey Saunders?" She nodded. "I guess, maybe.. He's got the looks, for sure, but.. he's too quiet for my taste. Too submissive. I want a challenge. Not someone whose scared to say the wrong thing."

"Well what about Brandon Mackie? He's cute, adventurous.."

"Annoying." I added before she could say another word. "He never stops talking about himself and if he is, its to chug a beer."

"Well, what about that new kid? What was his name.. Nick? Nate?"

"Nick Reed? I guess.. I've only seen him a few times between classes."

"Seen who between classes?" Rivi and I jumped at the voice that sounded behind us. We turned around to see a tall shape with chestnut hair and green eyes.

"Oli, what're you doing out here? Why aren't you in class?" I looked at him questioningly.

"Shouldn't I ask you the same thing?" He snapped back.

"We always skip final period on tuesdays. Everyone knows that." Rivi pointed out. Oli nodded thoughfully.

"Does Dad know?" He said, glaring at me.

"Yeah. He does. Remember? We use to have him pick us up after the bell?" I said.

"Whatever. Anyway, who or what were you talking about?" He asked, sitting down on the staircase. Rivi and I looked at eachother, wondering whether we should tell him or not. Smirking, we turned back to him.

"Guys. Or rather, who to put on a hot or not list we're making." We would never tell him the real conversation. He'd use it against us in some way or another.

"Oh really. Am I on this list?" He was intrigued now.

"Uh. Gross. You're my brother." I said, looking at him. If we weren't related, I would say he's attractive. He really is, but to put him on a hot or not list that I made? That would give me hell throughout the rest of my senior year. He shrugged.

"So who is all on this list of yours." He asked, looking at us. This was getting weird. Was he trying to...be friendly? After the cold shoulder he'd given me that past two days?

"The "Hot" list is Joey Saunders, Brandon Mackie and we were thinking that new Nate kid, but we've never really seen him."

"Nick. Not Nate." I corrected her. She stuck her tongue out at me.

"What about the "Not" list?"

"We haven't gotten that far." I said. The final bell rang, saving us from this awkward conversation. We were close to Kodi's room and decided to meet him at the door. Waving bye to my brother, we scampered through the hall to find Kodi. We caught him just as he was walking out the door and he wrapped Rivi in a hug as we continued to the school parking lot.

"That was awkward" Rivi said.

"Oh yes, yes it was." I agreed.

"What was awkward?" Kodi asked, looking at us, suspiciously. Rivi quickly caught him up to speed and he chuckled slightly at our "hot or not" lie.

"So which list am I on?" He asked, smirking.

"Not." Rivi and I laughed at his expression.

"I'm hurt guys. I'm really, truly hurt." He said, clutching his chest dramatically.

"Don't worry, Babe. You are most definitely hot." Rivi said, grabbing his arm and kissing the corner of his mouth.

"Ew. Gross. Get a room guys." I said, walking to my car.