Rice

Hell

The prison called out to him; not with an actual voice, but a strange aura that he could only be felt by using a supernatal gift. No Civils, or normal people, were supposed to be drawn out to it. The angels made sure that the prison’s shield would deflect anyone that would want to trespass. Kyle was an exception, though he knew nothing of the world until much later.

He needed an easy place to stay. The last place he lived was under a bridge and he was kicked out because someone was already living there. He’s wandered from place to place, trying to figure out where home was supposed to be. One of the town’s citizen’s recommended a place for him to stay. The man was only joking, but Kyle took it literally.

The prison was called Hell by the locals. It had the appearance of a normal haunted house, but no one dared to enter it. They would warn tourists of the strange voice that would disturbingly make you move towards Hell. The voice would supposedly enter your head and try to take over your thoughts and movements. Some of the locals were angels, some normals passed the stories. By chance, Kyle heard the story and figured it was loads of crap; they were to keep wondering young ones away. He needed a place to stay and he didn’t care how many times they warned him. It was a quiet place to stay and because no one wanted to get near it, he wouldn’t see people who’d ask questions.

The barrier was built to transport Civils and unwanted strangers back to the town without doing any damage to their minds. Kyle didn’t realize it because nothing happened to him when he passed through. Hell was happily welcoming him. The door was unlocked and it opened easily without much force. It was dark inside, but Kyle could unusually see where everything was. He wasn’t sure if anyone lived in there. He called out, “Hello?”

No one answered to him. He cautiously stepped inside, listening to any small sounds. It looked like an ordinary house, except for the two gargoyles that greeted him on both of his sides. An invisible skeleton with a scythe dangled from the ceiling. Death was watching him, waiting for something interesting to happen.

Without his permission, Kyle’s legs started moving. “What?”

They started leading him to an empty hallway. “Stop!” he commanded.

His legs ignored him and continued walking. Death’s eye sockets followed him. Kyle stopped in front of a rusty door. The handle was smashed in the door, as if no one wanted to enter. It was rusting for possibly decades. Though the handle was unappealing to the eye, Kyle had no reason in his mind to not touch the handle. Once he touched the handle, it changed in his hand. He threw his hand back in shock. The handle was polished new and had no previous dents. “What the…?”

He was scared to touch the handle again, it might do something more strange, like something from fiction. Though he feared it, the urge to go pass the door was pushing into his head. He didn't know why but he had to enter the room. Death hovered over him, wanting for him to make a move. It had a busy schedule and didn't want to spend the whole night with one person.
Kyle gripped the handle firmly and twisted to the right. The door gave in easily and pulled away from the wall. Kyle cautiously stepped inside. The place was darker and also colder than the rest of the prison. He squinted to see what was there. He first saw a girl. She was kneeling on the gray floor and looking down. He heard her call out to him, “Hello?”

He replied, “Sorry. I thought this place was empty.”

“Come closer.”

He took another glance at then girl. She had very light brown hair that barely touched her shoulders. She wore a simple white dress that was strapless and it reached down to her thighs. She looked harmless enough to listen to.

Kyle looked around the room. Chains attached to walls crossed horizontally all over the room. He wondered how he missed them and then noticed how he was mesmerized by the girl. She looked normal enough to listen to her. The girl spoke again. “Come here.”

He stepped closer to the girl. Death saw her. If Death had a face, it would scowl. It’s been more than a century since it has seen her. Death thought she died, it was never cheated before. It thought to itself, when the boy dies, it would return to its haven and ask questions to the supposed creator.

Kyle stepped closer to the girl. He didn't notice there were chains on the floor. He tripped on one and almost fell on his face. The girl said, “Careful! Watch where you step.”

He wondered why she didn't warn him earlier. Kyle stood back up and took another glance at the girl. She was sitting in the same position. He wondered why she wouldn't move a bit even though she saw him fall. The girl said, “Come a little closer. I need you to help me with something.”

Kyle slowly walked up to her. “Like what?”

“Can you not see? I’m imprisoned here. I need you to release me from these chains.”

Kyle stopped right next to her. The girl now looked unusual to him. She looked a little different than regular people. He noticed that the girl had her eyes closed. She spoke. “There is a small hook behind you.”
She didn't move her mouth. He suspected her as a very good ventriloquist. He looked behind himself to search for the hook. “Where is it?”

“It is on the floor.”

He couldn't see it, so he knelt down to look for it. “I don’t see it.”

“Feel around. There should be something sticking from the floor.”

Kyle felt around, but couldn't find anything. He was willing to give up until his hand grazed something.
He felt around that area and easily found it again. “I found it.”

“Good. Pull it.”
He tried pulling it. “It won’t budge.”

“Put some force into it.”
He pulled harder. “I’m trying.”

He kept pulling at it. The girl asked Kyle, “Are you really trying?”
“Yes!”

The girl didn't talk for a second. She responded slowly. “Try harder.”

Kyle pulled with all the force he could bare. He heard wood snapping under the carpet. The broken wood tore a hole in the carpet. Kyle gasped as board of wood fell on top of him. The girl sighed exaggeratedly. “Finally! I thought you would never break it.”

Kyle pushed the board away from him and stood up. “Now what?”

“Pick up the ax.”
“What ax?”
“The ax under the floor!”

He looked at the hole in the floor. There was an ax lying in the hole. The handle was metal, but he couldn't figure out what kind of metal was used for the axe part. It was a dark red, almost the color of dried blood. He picked it up from the neck and then repositioned it to a more comfortable way of handling it. “What do I do with it?”

“Cut my chains off.”
Kyle never swung an axe before. His mother feared that any physical labor would hurt her only son. It was expected when he swung the axe a little too close to her hand. “Careful! Cut them off near my hands and feet. Then you cut the one on my neck.”

The girl was tied up by the chains and the three ends were attached to the wall. He was ready to swing again, but he suddenly remembered something. “How come you can talk without your lips moving?”

“It’s simple. I attach a link to your mind and we share each other’s thoughts.”
“So you can read my mind!?”
“Not exactly. You could send messages you want into my head. Thinking and talking are separated. I’ll teach you how to do it when you free me.”

Kyle shook his head. “This is crazy…”
He swung the ax.