Rice

Family Ties

There was always trouble in leaving a family. Certain ones asked for a limb or two. Others wanted more important things. Trevor had a few opinions of the rules. He didn’t like how heavy punishments are and the way decisions were made. His mate of thirteen years old had ran away from the family to go with the man she truly loved. She had escaped and Trevor had received a punishment for not taking care of her well. Trevor and his species grew the same way as regular humans. He disliked their way of life and he wanted to leave as soon as he could.

A chance came in the annual party of the family. The Leonard family had a large party once a year to celebrate the comings and goings of the past leaders. The head of the family was a woman named Rosa Leonard. She was beautiful and also a cunning person. Trevor remembers when he was taken into the family. She welcomed him with open arms after when he joined the family 5 years prior to that. Rose was a naturally good person, but the blood inside her would make her do cruel things. Trevor wanted to help her. He felt it was his job as one of the family members, to advice Rose from leaving. Even though she was the leader, her own rules won’t let escape punishment.

He left so she wouldn’t get caught. Rose’s lighter punishment was to continue to be the boss.
For now, both were satisfied. They stopped communicating a few months later, but that’s because Rose passed away. Trevor didn’t know until he read the newspaper, stating ‘Leonard’s company CEO passed away from overdose’.

Nobody knew Trevor was alive, so he decided to enjoy the rest of his live by traveling around the world. He had spent 5 years in Budapest, 10 years in Moscow, and then 20 years in Amsterdam. He stayed in Europe until the west completely forgot of his existence. When he returned back to America, he feared that members of his previous family would find him. Not once in the 6 months, since he returned, did anyone tried to kill him.

**************************************************************
He was currently hiding away from his ex-fiancée. Trevor had an imaginary magnet for women were a little crazy. They always started nice and would then become a little obsessive. He was unaware of their mental states as he would naturally convey his interests with them. The last one tried to kill him by putting cyanide in his drink. It was supposedly a couple suicide and he had trouble hiding the body. The poison did affect Trevor, but it wasn’t strong enough to kill him. He had suffered many stomach aches for the past month until eventually they stopped.

The current one who is looking for him is a little more timid. A knife is hidden beneath her wedding dress. “Honey, come out wherever you are.”

“No thanks, Cathy.”

She spoke softly but loud enough so he can hear her, “I’m sorry, okay. I didn’t know it was yours.”

“You killed my cat!”

“I’m sure Oreos is in kitty heaven.”

He watched as she searched in the closet of the hotel room. He asked, “How’d you know his name’s Oreos?”

She paused for a minute. “I saw it on his collar?”

The cat never wore a collar. Trevor knew that someone was watching him for 3 weeks. He didn’t expect it to be his fiancée.

Cathy lifted up her dress and took out the knife. She held it in her hand, looking around for him.
“Come out already. We need to go find our parents.”

Trevor stepped out of his hiding spot and started walking towards the door. Cathy looked directly at him and then passed him. He walked out the apartment without being seen.

One problem for Trevor was that he couldn’t control it. Rosa used to hate it when he would suddenly disappear. He would become tangible in the middle of the night and would pass time by watching people sleep. The last time he used this power was when Rosa asked him to spy on a family that opposed her. He agreed when she offered him a paid vacation. The mission ended with two deaths from the Leonard family and a heavy wallet. Two of his friends died, but death was a common thing in a large family.

When he left the apartment, he asked himself where he was going to live next. There were three possible places to hide in the city. One of them was near the apartment but someone already occupied it. He didn’t expect for that person to happily welcome him, so he looked to find the next closest place.