Rice

Eating Someone

Sage told herself, “You’re around three centuries old. You don’t need the help of a less than a 2-decades-year-old kid.” She tripped over a tree branch.

“I cannot believe someone like me will have to hunt.”

The sun was brighter than it was used to. It shone on every surface and it was painful for her to carefully look at things. She squinted, trying to watch a bird fly across the sky. Sage sighed. “I miss my babies.”

Years before, Sage tamed countless of wild animals. She named them repeatedly in alphabetical order, and when she got bored, she would name them from words of different languages. She preferred Latin, her first language, and Spanish. She loved how Spanish sounded on the tongue and she fell in love with it when she visited Spain.

Once in a while, she would hear people talk in Spanish. Sage didn't recognize the proper words that were on billboards. She had problems finding a place for learning. When she would ask someone for directions, they would look at her odd and shrug their shoulders. She didn't exactly understand what they responded, but she knew from human behavior that shrugging meant ‘don’t know.’

As Sage wandered around she managed to find Kyle again. He was talking to other humans. She didn't know what the others were saying, but she could understand Kyle perfectly. They were having a conflict. Kyle looked nervous to her, as he was shaking his head and holding his hands out peacefully. “Look, dude. I didn't touch any of your stuff. I was just passing through since it’s a shorter walk.”

The human that appeared to be the leader raised his fists in a threatening motion. Sage realized the humans wanted to harm Kyle.

Sage yelled loudly, “Kyle! Raise your fists! Move to the left!”

By then Kyle was looking at her and his opponent found it the time to punch him. Kyle staggered back, surprised by the punch. Sage felt embarrassed for trying to warn him. She started walking away. “I don’t need him. Someone his age can’t help me.”

The others called out to her, “Hey! Come back here.”

Sage ignored them and continued walking. “You bitch!”

She felt a stinging sensation on the back of her head. They hit her!
She turned back at them and saw one of them holding a crowbar in his heads. She said through gritted teeth, “I can’t believe a human would try to injure me!”

The others couldn't understand what she was saying, but Kyle did. He answered her angry response, “They’re serious!”

Sage laughed. “It doesn't matter to me. I’m going to eat them.”

The one with the crowbar swings again. She catches it easily. He struggles to escape from her grasp. She smiles evilly. It ends with one kick.
The others were easier, simpler to defeat. The fight lasted for a second. Sage could have finished it earlier if she wasn't starving. Sage kneeled down next to the unconscious bodies. She licked her lips and slowly opened her mouth. “Wait!”

She paused. “What?”
“What are you doing to them? How’d you knock them out? I couldn't even see what you did exactly.”

She shook her head. “I don’t even remember the last time I had ate.”

She inserted her hand in one of them. “I’ll help you!”
“Now what?!”
“I’ll give you your tour or whatever.”

She shook her head. “I don’t need your help. I can figure the new world out by myself.”

She pulled her hand out of the body. She held something of pure white in her hand. It looked so soft to the touch, silky like and wispy. It had an unnatural glow to it. She held a soul in her hand. She held it near her open mouth and it easily slipped inside of her. Went it fully went inside, she closed her mouth and licked her lips.

“What was that?”

Sage wished she didn't hear him. She was eating and it was an embarrassing thing for anyone to see a demon eating. It was in their most vulnerable moments that they revealed to only the person
closest to them. Most demons never once liked anyone, including Sage.

She told herself, ‘Nothing can be done. I could have died.’
It was still embarrassing to think about.

Sage ignored Kyle’s annoying questions and walked away. She didn't know exactly where she was going, but she had to leave far away from that place. She had quickly lost her appetite and wanted to disappear from there.