Rice

Juice

Sage had a large burger stuffed in her mouth. The taste was different than anything she ever experienced. They danced on her tongue and she almost moaned out loud. The first bite went forcefully down her throat. People watched as she coughed loudly and took a large gulp of soda. The soda was also unexpected. It bubbled in her throat and the sensation brought her coughing again. The burger was fine, but she didn’t like the soda. She left it alone during the rest of her lunch.

After she finished eating, her stomach was full. It didn’t help her life energy, but it did leave her satisfied. She felt grateful for the stranger who left the food when she was resting. This was her first time that she was given something without having to return the favor. It almost brought tears to her eyes except that people were still watching. Sage hated crying in front of others, especially humans. She had too much pride for that. She also hated apologizing, sharing with others, and getting help.

There were many faults that she had, but that didn’t stop her from eating a burger and having ketchup on her face in front of others. She didn’t mind the humans thinking of how she looked. She felt she didn't have to feel ashamed in front of live stock. Sage still wore the dress that she had worn when they imprisoned her. She also wore no shoes. Everyone was wearing them so she suspected that it the fad had never died down.

Sage looked down at her feet. They were dirty compared to her upper body. She couldn’t purchase any clothing as a result of no money. She also couldn’t ask for information considering they spoke a different language than her. Sage hasn’t seen Kyle since they parted ways. She had no clue where he was.

She knew her feelings were altering many times, but she couldn’t stop from changing her mind. She still didn’t know what to do after finding him. Will she go into hiding and hope for no one to find her? Nobody has revealed to herself and that made her a little suspicious.

There were rules and even councils for each species. They maintained everyone’s happiness and also controlled them. Sage approved of the order, but she didn’t commend their actions for doing so. She was a member of a family before she left. They were a small family of five that had taken her in after she died a gruesome death. She was accepted and she had also brought them fortune and fame.

Her family must have been killed. Sage was telepathically linked to her family and the imaginary string felt loose. They must have killed her family right after she was imprisoned. Sage was supposed to be executed but a member of her family had sacrificed the family. She was a part of a prideful species and this shamed her greatly. She hoped no one would realize that she escaped. Having hundreds of years of experience didn’t help decide what she should do. Her hiding is almost as shameful as letting her whole to die for her. She’d rather die than be found by one of her species.

**************************************************************

Children from all ages play cheerfully. She watches as they play in their own small world. Sage also regarded children highly. They were the most pure and innocent she ever faced. Mostly everyone was corrupted in some way, but children haven’t experienced any pain or suffering. It wasn’t until they grew older when they suddenly were hit with the realization of the real world. That is the age that Sage hates the most, the age when humans instantly become ripe and ready to eat.

A red rubber ball slowly rolled towards her. She sat cross legged on the grass, watching the ball. It rested right in front of her. She looked around to see if anyone was also watching. A small child of 6 ran to the ball. She picked it up with two tiny hands and finally looked up at Sage. She smiled widely at her. Sage smiled back. The child held the ball to Sage. She took it from the small girl. “Hey!”

Both looked up to see an older girl of 12. Her fisted hands were on each side. She appeared angry. The smaller girl asked with a confused smile, “Juliet?”

The girl stomped to them. She forcefully took the ball from Sage. “That’s out ball.”

Sage frowned. “The girl handed it to me.”

“Lily doesn’t give her ball to anyone except me. Right, Lily?”

Lily shook her head. “The lady looks lost. I want to help her.”