My Only Hope

Chapter 1

Carol Peletier stared at the reflection of her body her eyes fixating on the fresh bruises that littered her back. Tears came to her eyes at the memory of how she received as she ran herself a warm bath in hopes that would soothe her sore back.

The night before her husband Ed had come home after a night with his buddies.

"Woman where's my dinner?" He yelled as he entered the house.

"It's in here Ed." Carol said from the kitchen.

Ed stumbled in and over to the table he looked at the plate of spaghetti.

"The hell is this?" He asked.

"Your dinner Ed." Carol said quietly.

"You call this shit food?" He asked angrily throwing the plate against the wall.

Carol back up with fear as he approached her menacingly. "Ed please don't...

She fell to the ground as he backhanded her. "What did I tell you about telling me what to do?"

"Not to do it." She said touching her throbbing cheek.

Tears filled her eyes as she heard the sound of his belt undoing.

"I'm gonna remind you who's the boss around here." He said.

Carol cried harder remembering the fire of the leather as it struck her bare back again and again. The house had echoed with the sounds of the belt making contact with her skin and her screams.

It wasn't always like this when her and Ed had met during her first semester in collage. They had dated for two years before getting married. The beginning was nothing but married bliss he changed after the birth of their daughter Sophia.

He went from a loving caring husband to a monster. She had tried to leave him only to be brought down by Ed saying that nobody would want her, she was worthless, and so on.

Years of this had taken a toll on her to the point she believed everything he said. Carol dried her face remembering she had to work today.

The only time she had any freedom from Ed was when she worked or dropped off and picked up Sophia from school. Her working didn't really matter considering he would always take her paychecks and waste them on liquor.

Carol dried herself off and got dressed in her uniform. She worked at one of those diner's where the female employees had to wear those checkered uniforms.

After getting dressed she looked in the mirror sadly running a hand over her short silver hair. Ed had forcibly held her down and cut off her long curls to make her less attractive looking to other men.

She also had minimal makeup due to his insecurities saying that no one would want her but him. After putting on some concealer to hide the still fading bruise from under her eye she grabbed her purse and walked downstairs to find Sophia watching cartoons.

"You ready for school honey?" Carol asked.

Sophia glanced over and jumped up running to her mom. "Yes mama you look pretty today."

"Thanks baby you do too." Carol said kissing her cheek. "Got your things ready?"

"Ready to go." She said holding up her bag.

Carol pulled up in front of the school. "Have a good day honey I'll see you later."

Sophia hugged her mom. "Bye mom I love you."

"I love you too." Carol said with a smile as Sophia got out the car.

Carol waved to her and her friend Carl Grimes before driving to her job at the diner.

"Morning Andrea." Carol said as she pulled up the board and walked behind the bar.

"Morning Carol how's it going?" Andrew asked concerned.

Andrea knew about the abuse Carol endured day in and day out.

She had talked to Carol numerous times to leave Ed but Carol was scared of what he might do.

"I'm alright." Carol said.

Andrew knew she was lying. "What did he do?" She asked.

Carol sighed. "He beat me with a belt last night over a plate of spaghetti."

"You need to leave him Carol." Andrea said. "You don't deserve any of his shit you deserve way better."

"Doesn't matter if I leave him nobody would want me but him." She said.

"You stop that." Andrea said grabbing her hands. "The only reason you think that is because of that asshole there's someone out there for everybody Carol." "There is somebody out there wants you, who'll love you and Sophia, respect and treat you the way you deserve to be treated."

"You know I still have hope that someone will come." Carol said.

Andrea smiled. "You keep thinking that and they'll come."

"Hate waiting though." Carol said.

"Love is patient you can't rush it." Andrew said.

Carol didn't have time to reply cause at that moment the bell rang signaling the first customer.

"Hadn't had a morning this busy in forever." Andrew commented.

"I know." Carol said pouring a customer coffee.

"Carol can you take care of that guy at the end down there?" Andrea asked as she rushed to the kitchen.

Carol grabbed the coffee pot and walked over as she poured the coffees her words caught in her throat as she looked seeing the most gorgeous man she had ever seen.