My Only Hope

Chapter 2

The man was of medium build with long shaggy hair that hid his eyes from view. He was wearing ripped jeans, a vest with a sleeveless shirt that gave Carol good view of his biceps. She marveled at the sight of them getting lost in a deeper daze.

She was snapped out her daze by the man jumping back and hissing in pain. Carol was so preoccupied by his looks she had forgotten she was pouring coffee.

"The hell are you doing lady?" He asked in a gruff voice.

"I'm so sorry." Carol said grabbing napkins and dabbing at the spilled coffee. "I'm sorry I burned your hand."

"You wouldn't have if you weren't busy standing there with your trap open catching flies." He replied angrily.

"I just got distracted." She said quickly. "Can I get you anything?"

"Just get me the biscuit and sausage combo to go." He said dabbing at his burned hand.

"Right away." Carol said and hurried to the kitchen her face turning red.

"Andrea the man at the end will have the number four." Carol said to her.

"Number four to go Tyresse." Andrew said. "Carol why are you so red?"

"Cause I got distracted and wasted coffee on that guy's hand." She said looking down.

"That's it?" Andrea asked then glanced out the kitchen.

She turned with a small smile growing. "I can see why you got distracted that man is yummy!"

"Andrea!" Carol said looking up at her friend.

"What?" She asked. "Apparently you think so too cause you almost to never get distracted." "Probably got distracted imagining those strong arms around you."

"Andrea stop please." Carol said. "He's probably got a girlfriend plus what would a guy that looks like that want with a woman like looks like me?"

"Carol stop it you're beautiful inside and out." Andrea said. "What makes you so sure that guy is taken?"

"Look at him." Carol said looking out the window at him. "There's no way a guy like that is single."

"Order up!" Tyresse said.

Carol took the bag from him and walked out to the guy. "Here's your order I am really sorry bout burning you." Carol said noticing him nursing his hand.

"Forget it shit happens." He said paying for his food then took the bag and left.

Carol sighed dejectedly and wiped the counter before tending to another customer.

Daryl Dixon turned to his left and pulled into a parking space of his new job. T Dog's Mechanics.

Getting out his truck he grabbed his breakfast bag before heading into the shop.

"Dixon what's up?" T-Dog greeted him.

T-Dog was an old friend of Daryl's who owned the shop. When he heard that Daryl planned on moving here he immediately offered him a job.

"Nothing much T busy morning I see." Daryl commented.

"Busiest we've had in a while." He said then sniffed. "Is that sausage biscuit I smell?"

Daryl chuckled and pulled one out. "Knew how much you liked these things so I got you one."

"Thanks man." T-Dog said unwrapping it and taking a bite. "Been forever since I've had one."

Daryl nodded in agreement. "So what we got this morning?"

"That old Chevy just came in smoking with no explanation." He said.

"I'll get too it after I eat." Daryl said walking away.

"Hey what happened to your hand?" T-Dog asked.

"Some mousy chick burned me with coffee." Daryl said glaring at T-Dog as he laughed.

"She doesn't sound so mousy since she burned a Dixon." He said laughing harder.

"Shut the fuck up." Daryl said before walking away.

"Hey mama." Sophia said getting into the car.

"Hey honey how was school today?" Carol asked.

"Today we dissected a frog it was gross and cool at the same time." She said.

"It was cool cutting open a frog?" Carol asked teasingly.

"It was already dead so it didn't feel anything." Sophia said. "Mom when we get home can I play outside?"

"After you finish your homework you can." Carol said.

"Kay." Sophia said with a smile.

As they arrived home Carol sighed in relief that Ed wasn't there it was rare that he wouldn't be there before they arrived home.

They got out and Sophia ran into the house eager to do her homework so she could go outside to play.

"You need help sweetie?" Carol asked as she prepared to cook dinner.

"It's okay mama I understand what to do." Sophia said from the table.

After ten minutes Sophia got done with her homework and asked to go outside.

"You can remember to stay in our yard though." Carol said. "Dinner's almost ready."

"Yes ma'am." Sophia said running out the house and outside.

As she played with her ball she looked up noticing an old red truck next door. The house had been empty for months the Harrison's who were the previous occupants having left mainly due to her dad's harassment.

Sophia watched as a man with dark hair came out and grabbed a box from his truck before kicking the door shut. He never looked in her direction as he disappeared into the house.

"He doesn't look like he'd be afraid of dad." She said before she went back to playing.

After Daryl set his last box down he decided to go outside for a smoke. He walked out and sat on the porch smoking and looking around at the neighborhood.

He noticed a small blue car next door but hadn't seen any of the occupants next door and hoped it stayed that way. Daryl wasn't a people person and just wanted to be left alone.

A small plopping noise brought him out his musings he looked to see a small ball that looked like the U.S. flag near his truck. He walked down the porch and picked it up.

He felt as of he were being watched glancing next door he saw a girl that looked about either eleven or twelve nearby. She had light brown hair and brown eyes that had a scared look in them.

"This yours kid?" Daryl asked.

She nodded Daryl gestured her over Sophia hesitantly walked over and was surprised when he gave her back her ball.

"Thanks mister." She said with a smile.

"Sure kid." Daryl said.

"My name's Sophia and you're my new neighbor." She said.

"Guess I am." Daryl said.

"What's your name?" She asked.

"Daryl." He said surprised when she grabbed his hand and shook it.

"It's nice to meet you Daryl." Sophia said.

"You too." Daryl said wishing the kid would take her ball and leave.

He thanked whatever God above when a woman most likely the kid's mother called out.

"Sophia dinner is ready." Carol said.

"I'm coming mama." She said running to her house turning. "Thanks again Mr. Daryl."

"Sure kid." Daryl said walking back into his house.

"Sophia where were you?" Carol asked.

"Getting my ball from our new neighbor." She said.

"New neighbor?" Carol asked then looked out the window seeing the red truck. "Looks like we got a new neighbor after all." "So you talked to him?"

Sophia nodded. "His name is Daryl."

"Since he's new we should welcome him to the neighborhood." Carol said.

Sophia jumped up excited. "Does this mean baking?"

Carol laughed. "Yes we're baking."

After the brownies were done Carol and Sophia made their way next door. Walking up the porch Sophia rang the doorbell twice.

Carol could hear movement and some grumbling from the other side before the door opened revealing the man she had wasted coffee on that morning.