Status: done.

Names

bah dum tis

"Hi!" said, what appeared to Sidney as, an overly excited young woman who was sticking her hand out for him to shake, "I'm Carter!"

Sidney stuck his hand out to her and proceeded to shake, "I'm Sidney."

The girl's dark eyes appeared to brighten, giggling, she confessed, "I know! You have a girl's name."

Scoffing, Sidney retaliated, "And I suppose Carter isn't a boy's name?"

Giggling once again, the girl's smile widened, "No, it's a unisex name. I can totally get away with being a Carter. You're stuck with a girl's name."

Defending himself, Sidney replied, "Yeah, well Sidney is a unisex name. And, besides, my Sidney is spelled differently than girl Sydney, so."

"So, what," the girl continued, "saying that your Sidney is spelled differently just says that it's a girl name even more because why else would they need to spell it two different ways? Carter is the same all around."

Sidney has nothing to retaliate with so just settles on a shrug and, "Still a boy's name."

"Well," the girl begins, "since I've got the boy name, and you've got the girl one, how about I buy you a drink?"

Sidney smiles, a girl has never bought him a drink before. And it's still like 2 in the afternoon, so he doesn't know how he feels about that drink. And she was just some random girl that approached him in the street. She could be looking to drug him, she did know who he was.

"Tell you what, Carter," he begins before she cuts him off.

"Nope, you took too long, drinks on me, let's go!" Carter grabs onto his wrist before pulling him to what isn't a bar, which totally confuses him. Carter sits him down before walking toward the counter.

Halfway back with 2 cups in her hands, she starts to speak, "Hey, I hope you like lemonade, this place has got the best kind ever."

Sidney smiles, a little confused, (because who counts buying a drink as buying someone a drink and people still sell lemonade when it's not summer?) which apparently she catches onto as understanding fills her eyes.

"Oh, I hope you weren't thinking we were getting like beers or something," she says, "It's like 2, dude. And, you know, for being the boy in the this, I thought I'd be a little different and thoughtful. Heard girls love that stuff."

Now Sidney grins, "In that case, I love lemonade and wouldn't really mind a sandwich."

"Ah," Carter laughs, "the girl makes the sandwiches is what I hear. And you're mistaken if you think I'm not cashing in on that sweet deal."

Sidney gasps, "How could you be so sexist? I can't believe I agreed to get a drink with a pig like you. This is the 21st century, okay."

Carter plays right along, "Well, honey, if you aren't going to make me a sandwich, I think we should cut this short. I can find a woman that will make me a sandwich and won't have the chest of an 11 year-old boy." Carter finishes, eyeing Sidney's lack of, well, womanly assets.

Sidney laughs loudly, head thrown back and all. He can't believe her.

They continue conversation, this time as theirselves. When Carter finds out that Sidney has only been to her hometown of Chicago once or twice and never made the time to see any of its sweet spots, she's halfway out the door, dragging him along. Sidney happily complies.



They're sitting on a bench somewhere in Millennium Park. Sidney and Carter went everywhere from the Skydeck of the Sears ("No one calls it Willis, okay. It's still a sore spot for us, even saying Willis makes me cringe.") Tower to Navy Pier. She even took him to food hotspots. The combination of Lou Malnati's deep dish and all the ice cream from Margie's made him flinch for his diet, but she had practically force fed him. As they trekked across the city, handfuls of people noticed Sidney, but only a few actually stopped him. (To this Carter just grinned, saying, "Now that we're winners, hockey is pretty popular in the city.")

Carter and Sidney are seated very closely on the bench, his arm wrapped around her shoulders.

"So you do own hawks stuff?" Sidney questions.

"Well, yeah. Everyone wants to be apart of a winner."

Sidney just smiles at her and quirks an eyebrow, "Who's on the back?"

Carter grins, "You have to guess."

"Hmm," Sidney pretends to think, "It's gotta be a 19 or 88. Maybe even Sharp, if you're into that kind of thing."

"Wow, okay," Carter begins, "Everyone is into 10, as in you, too, but no, none of those."

Sidney rolls his eyes, "The youngsters, then? It has got to be Saad or Shaw."

"I've got Saad on one." she admits, "And Crawford on another. There's just something about goalies, man."

Sidney rolls his eyes again, pulling her closer, "So you're an avid hockey fan?"

"Nah," she shrugs, "I can follow it pretty well, but that's it. I grew up around basketball and football. I only started watching hockey when we made the finals in 2010 and I've kept up with the hawks since then."

"But you knew who I was," Sidney more states then asks.

"Of course," Carter says, "My brother, who probably couldn't tell you the first thing about hockey, would know who you are. I mean, when people think basketball, they think Jordan, but they also think Kobe and LeBron. That's like with you and hockey, people think Gretzky and they think Crosby."

Sidney grins at her explanation, at her, really. That's when he decides that he doesn't care how crazy it seems, he's totally in love with the girl that has the boy name.



Later, after they get married and all that, they have a baby together. A boy. And he gets a boy name. And his twin sister gets a girl name, but it all gets switched around with all the emotions (and Carter almost makes Sidney lose his limb, which is important because hockey) and so the boy becomes Cameron and the girl becomes Carson, but they just laugh and embrace it.