Status: In progress C:

Light the Way to Your Heart

Two

Alex wandered the halls alone for a few minutes. He wasn’t really trying to get to class. He just felt like exploring. He had to get a feel for the school. It was sort of a tradition he had when starting a new school. He’d walk down every hallway and take in as much of the school as he could. If he ever got yelled at, he always had the excuse of being a new student.

Alex didn’t even know why he did it. It wasn’t like the school mattered. At most, he’d be a student there for only a couple of months. It was early October. So, Alex figured he wouldn’t stay longer than Christmas Break. This school was no different than the rest. Still, Alex had to know the school. It might not matter, but he needed to know something from this trip in his life.

Alex started with the floor. It was made of what looked to be generic bricks. He kind of wished they were yellow so he could make “follow the yellow brick road” jokes to himself. Even if they were yellow and he did that, he’d hate himself after each corny reference. Alex honestly hated The Wizard of Oz. It was so overrated and dreadfully boring. However, the generic brick floor was red, not yellow. So he let go of the Wizard of Oz thoughts and appreciated the fact that al least the floor was clean.

The walls were painted an off white color. That was typical and so boring. The lockers that lined the halls were blue, so at least they added a little bit of life to the dead school halls. Alex quite liked the lockers. He had yet to look inside of one, but from the outside, they were almost as tall as him and about half his width. Most schools he’s gone to had tiny lockers that could hardly fit a jacket inside, let alone his school books and other supplies he wouldn’t need at home. These spacious lockers were a nice change.

More than lockers lined the halls. Occasionally, Alex would pass a trophy case. These cases were devoid of any awards from more recent decades, telling Alex that the school wasn’t too big on sports. That was good, since Alex wasn’t into sports-sometimes he’d catch a soccer (football) game- and disliked being in an environment where they were a priority.

There were also a lot of posters on the walls. Most were student resources like tutoring and ACT help. Alex forgot about the ACT. If he wanted to attend college in the States, then he’d better take it. College was such a stressor. Alex really wished he thought about that sooner. Then again, constantly going to new schools didn’t benefit his plans for the future.

After exploring all the floors, Alex realized the school was shaped like an E. In between two halls, there was a courtyard with a huge tree and some picnic tables. It looked nice. He hoped he could go out there for lunch. Alex loved sitting under trees and just reading. Between the next two halls was part of the parking lot. That didn’t excite Alex too much. He didn’t have a car, so what did parking lots matter?

Finally, Alex ended up in the empty cafeteria. It was full of rectangular tables and mismatched chairs. Alex decided he liked the splashes of color the chairs provided to the school. It gave the cafeteria a comforting feeling, almost like it was the second home school is supposed to be. Alex bitterly smiled at the thought. Home? Yeah right. He never stayed in one place to have a real home.

Alex pushed the thoughts out of his head. He knew it wasn’t his mom’s fault they moved around so much. It was her job. She made good money consulting businesses or whatever it was she did. Alex never complained about being able to easily afford the things he wanted. He never wanted much anyways.

At the moment, Alex wanted a Coke. Luckily, there were vending machines in the cafeteria. He bought a diet coke- someone had the brilliant idea to sell only zero calorie drinks at school- and sat in an orange chair.

He took a gulp of the soda and sat with his head in his hands. He didn’t know if seconds or minutes passed (time was often blurred with Alex) when he heard footsteps. He silently hoped that whoever it was would leave him alone. Of course, he wasn’t so lucky.

“Shouldn’t you be in class?” the person-a man- asked.

Alex sighed to himself and prepared a quick explanation about how he was new and got lost. But when he looked up, he saw a teenager. The teen was tall- maybe taller than Alex- and skinny as a twig. He wore skinny jeans and a band shirt that hugged his stick body. His hair was dark, met with even darker eyes that seemed to judge Alex. His lips were turned in a patronizing smirk. Alex immediately wanted to wipe it off his face. The stranger’s face was brought together by a huge nose. It looked perfect for punching. Alex instantly disliked the guy.

“Shouldn't you be in class?” Alex asked back, in the same condescending tone.

“I was,” the stranger said. If his smirk wasn’t nasty before, it sure was now. “But you know, sometimes the teachers have students run errands for them. What’s your excuse?”

“I didn’t feel like going yet,” Alex said. “Problem?”

The stranger laughed. It didn’t sound too friendly. “Who are you even? I don’t remember seeing you around here, or hearing anybody with that gross accent.”

“Name’s John Smith,” Alex flashed the guy a tightlipped grin. Alex decided he did not like the guy. So, he figured he shouldn’t tell the dude his name. It didn’t even matter, considering this place would be just another blip on his school records. Also, the asshat didn’t deserve Alex’s real name.

“Uh huh. I’m sure it is,” the stranger retorted.

“What does it matter to you anyways?” Alex asked.

“I like to know what trash has to be taken out,” the stranger said. “I like to keep my school clear of pests.”

Anger flashed in Alex. But before he could get in another word, the stranger laughed and walked away, probably to finish whatever task he was sent out to do. Alex was more than happy.

After about two more minutes of lazing around the cafeteria, Alex decided that it was time to. That kid could’ve told a teacher or something that he was skipping. Getting in trouble on his first day wasn’t on Alex’s to do list.

For the first time, Alex glanced at his schedule. The times of each class were written next to it. He already missed lunch. Good thing he ate fish fingers and custard before coming. Now, he was in his sixth class of the day, out of seven total.To his surprise, Alex had some classes he might enjoy. The class before his current one was astronomy. Now he was in Luminance, his favorite subject, and the next was English. English was a given, but Alex still loved it.

Alex made his way to Luminance, all the way on the third floor and opposite side of the building.Once he reached it, he tapped on the door with his knuckles. He heard the muffled yell of the teacher- a man- and someone shuffling to the door. The door swung open to reveal the slightly taller than Alex and just as skinny, asshole kid as before.

The kid smirked, something gleaming in his eyes. “Well, well, well, look what the cat dragged in”

Well fuck, Alex thought as he looked up at that annoying smirk.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woo new chapter. What do you guys think? Any guesses who the asshole kid is?
Also, the next chapter will shed some light on Luminance.