Status: In progress C:

Light the Way to Your Heart

Three

Alex and the asshole kid stared at each other for well over a minute. No words were exchanged. Just the heated gaze. Alex was sure it would’ve carried on like that if the teacher didn’t speak up.

“Jack, sit your ass down and let him in before I give you a detention,” the teacher yelled.

The asshole kid, now named Jack, finally moved. He sat in the desk closest to the door and a few kids snickered at him. Alex tried to ignore the eyes of the students, especially Jack’s, on his back as he walked up to the teacher.

“I’m a new student,” Alex said when he got to the teacher.

“Let me see your schedule,” the teacher said. Alex handed it over. After a few seconds, Alex got it back and the teacher introduced himself. “I’m Mr. Dawson. I might not be too much older than you but I still expect the same respect you’d give any other teacher.”

“Yes sir,” Alex replied.

“Okay. Since we’re in the middle of the first quarter, I need to know what you know about Luminance. Also, you don’t have to call me sir. This isn’t the ROTC class” Mr. Dawson said.

“I know pretty much everything about Luminance,” Alex said.

“Everything? Really?” Mr. Dawson asked. Alex nodded. Mr. Dawson laughed. “Then tell me what Luminance is.”

“Luminance is when you’re with a person and something inside of you connects, so to speak. Your hearts glow and it illuminates your chest. This signals that you and the other person are soul mates,” Alex replied.

“Soul mates? Really?”

Alex inwardly groaned. Mr. Dawson was clearly trying to test his knowledge. At least Alex knew he wouldn’t embarrass himself. So, he answered, “Well, most people consider it to be soul mates. Rarely do luminants ever be with someone else when their match is still alive. But some people disagree. They usually either think that soul mate is the wrong term or that Luminance is some sort of trick the devil, or just evil, plays.”

Mr. Dawson nodded approvingly. “So, how exactly does the person’s heart glow?”

“No one is sure. Because you can’t really predict when Luminance happens, it’s extremely hard for scientists to study. There are a lot of theories out there. Some say that the natural electricity in your body multiplies to a very large amount and lights you up, or that certain chemicals do. A lot of people believe that it’s a message from God or some other deity. The ancient Greeks believed that it was a blessing from Aphrodite herself. There are even people who think aliens implanted something inside of us a long time ago and matches us with certain people they want us to mate with for some sort of experiment.”

“The alien theories always make me laugh,” Ms. Dawson laughed. “Now tell me, when does Luminance happen? And to who?”

A part of Alex wished that the questioning would be over. Another part was thrilled. He never had friends or anyone to talk to about Luminance. This was kind of exciting.

“Luminance happens at anytime, but not to everyone. It’s usually after you’ve known the person for a little while. Occasionally, Luminance happens when you first meet the person. Sometimes, it happens years later. There are even couples who’ve been married their entire lives that don’t go through luminance until one is on their deathbed. And Luminance happens to anyone at any age, except before they’ve been through puberty. It also happens between people regardless of age differences, gender, and race,” Alex explained.

Then, he realized he forgot something he wanted to say. So Alex started talking again as Mr. Dawson opened his mouth. “Also, humans aren’t the only ones who go through Luminance. Birds are the animals that most commonly go through Luminance. It happens twice as often for any species of bird than it does for people. Dolphins, dogs, and other mammals also go through Luminance as well.”

“I assume if I started asking you about laws created around Luminance, you’d know,” Mr. Dawson said.

“Yeah, I know the laws,” Alex agreed. “And the history. And even a lot of personal stories.”

“Do you know the autobiography, My Illuminating Journey Around the World by Clyde Jones?” Mr. Dawson asked. Alex eagerly nodded. It was one of his favorite novels about Luminance. “We’re reading it in class. Now we’re on chapter ten. Think you can catch up?”

“I love the story. Catching up would be no problem,” Alex said. “And I have my own copy so I don’t need a school one.”

“Okay then. Well, the bell is about to ring. I expect to see you on time tomorrow,” Mr. Dawson said.

“Bye,” Alex said as the bell rung.

Alex was the first one out the door. He stopped in the hall, looking at his schedule, trying to find his next class. As he started walking, looking at the room numbers, Alex was pushed into the lockers. He crashed shoulder first into the cold blue metal. He would’ve been angry if he weren’t so shocked. Something like that has never happened to him before.

Alex looked around to see who thought it would’ve been funny to shove him. He wasn’t surprised when he saw Jack chuckling a few feet ahead of him.
♠ ♠ ♠
So we know more about Luminance. Yay