‹ Prequel: Smile for Me
Status: Ongoing

Smile With Me

The Godfather

“There’s a movie on,” the Hood says eventually, sprawling out on the couch.
He’s got a beer in one hand, a bowl of some sort of organic popcorn in the other. “Oh.”
“I don’t get a lot of channels here. Reception’s shitty.” I nod. “It’s the Godfather. You could watch, if you like.”
I wonder if he gets lonely. I know I do. “I’ve never seen the Godfather,” I admit. My family was never big into movies, and neither was Joker.
He gasps overdramatically, making me smile. “How could you’ve not watched the Godfather? I used to watch it all the time. Bru…” He goes still. “I…uh, I used to watch it all the time.”
I get it. Memories. So I smile real wide and sit next to him on the couch, careful not to touch. Neither of us are cuddly people. “Is it any good?”
He rolls his eyes. “It’s the fucking Godfather, Quinn.”
“Oh. Uh, yeah. Of course.” It starts out with a wedding, and I’m bored already. I’ve never been much for movies anyone would consider good. I like romantic comedies, the kind they show on Lifetime. I don’t care about Italian mobsters. I’ve met Italian mobsters. They’re not this interesting.
Red Hood is silent beside me, except for the occasional knuckle cracking. I’m drowsy almost immediately, eyes slipping shut. I need a lot of sleep when I’m healing.
“Quinn, are you even watching this?” he asks impatiently, just as I’m about to drift away. I jerk awake and blink at him.
“Um. Sorry.” He half smiles and turns back to the screen.
“It’s alright.” I curl up, feet near his thighs. I fall asleep to the sound of gunfire.
♠ ♠ ♠
The Joker: [sadly] Without Batman, crime has no punchline...