Status: I can't promise anything.

Stealing Glances

My Heart Is In The City Of Love. But It's Raining In Paris

January 2014

The Maine were in Denver, CO on their “An Acoustic Evening With The Maine” it had been around 5PM in Denver, and thanks to John’s phone it had helped him calculate the time in Seoul, it had been 8AM over there. John decided to call before helping to finish set up for the set and before doors opened. More than anything, he hoped he wouldn’t be waking Jamison up or anything. He was in the back alley of the club pacing back and forth waiting for the rings to stop and a voice to answer.

“Hello?” Jamison answered, voice sounding a bit groggy and raspy.

John chuckled at the sound of her voice. “Did I wake you up?”

“No, I woke up like half an hour ago?” She said, sounding unsure of her gauge of time. “I just haven’t said anything hence my voice sounding like this.” She explained, causing him to smile.

“How is being in Korea?” He asked, “Getting along with your parents?”

“It’s alright… extended family came to visit yesterday. I was asked about a hundred times when I’ll be getting married.” Jamison said, letting out a sheepish laugh at the latter half of her statement.

“What was your response?”

“If it happens, it happens.” She answered nonchalantly, causing John to laugh at the casual mannerisms of his girlfriend.

“How did they take it?”

“They asked if I was into girls…”

John let out a hysterical laugh. “Well… I have no words.”

“I didn’t either, I laughed it off…” Jamison chuckled, “Then they asked about my job, which they now seem to acknowledge as a real thing cause of the amount of money I make… I’m smelling money loans being asked of me to come my way soon.” She said, dryly causing John to frown at bit. He hated when she was anything less than content.

“Don’t feel so glum, it’s only for a few more days…”

“True. It’s weird, I mean… I see my parents maybe once a year and you know I send them money, bought them a house here, and things… and I know we love each other, but I don’t think we like each other. If that makes any sense.” She rambled, “Does that make me sound horrible? Like they’re not strangers to me, I’m thankful that they gave me life but we didn’t grow up together. I’ve been around Matt, Butch, Brendan, Jake longer—I don’t know what I’m saying anymore.” She let out a breathless chuckle, not knowing if she had been making any sense at all.

“I get it.” He nodded, speaking in a reassuring tone. “I mean you did grow up with Squire, Butch, Brendon... and you kind of just had your own life—they’re always going to be your parents but… you have your chosen family.”

“I feel bad admitting that out loud.” Jamison admitted, letting out a sheepish chuckle. She hoped John didn’t think she was a horrible human being for what she admitted.

“It is what it is. Your feelings aren’t invalid.” John said, encouraging her not to beat herself up too much.

“Thanks for listening to me rant…” She let out a content sigh. “I’m always on edge when I’m getting badgered about my life choices.” She admitted, guiltily.

“I’m always here for you.”

“I know.” Jamison smiled, “How has tour been?”

“It’s been fun. Pat has been Mr. Boss Man and kind of been a dictator of sorts on how this tour goes.” John said, smirking and thinking back to the last few shows they had done.

“I’m pretty sure Pat would be a millionaire if he ever went a route beyond music—that dude’s work ethic.” She laughed, shaking her head.

“Oh I know.” He chuckled, “You don’t have to tell me.”

“You better do it right the first time O’Callaghan.” She teased, causing John to break out into a smile.

“I will… do my best.” John laughed, “I miss you.”

“I miss you too.” She said, “Despite our current distance, I always try to remind myself that ‘home is in people, not places.”

“Come home.” John said, longingly causing Jamison’s heart to swell.

“I’ll be home soon.”

--------

May 2015

John had spent the previous day in Paris walking around in the rain exploring places he had loved and wanted to take Jamison to before going to a café and writing a bit of a song he had dubbed “Raining in Paris” which he later finished in his hotel room.

It was a new day and the rain had stopped. John spent his afternoon exploring more of the backstreets and outskirts of Paris before heading to Palais Omnisports de Paris Bercy to go see Maroon 5. John wasn’t the biggest fan of Maroon 5 but he knew Jamison would be there and probably on stage performing with them… or so he hoped. He wanted to see her in anyway he could, even if it was from a distance.

He got to the venue and stood in the crowd, the show had been sold out and John now understood why Jamison had been such a fan of them—they did know how to put on a damn good live show. But truth be told, he wasn’t completely focused on them as he was with Jamison who had been tucked away in the back next to Matt, the drummer on the keyboards.

Halfway through the set, transitioning into the next song the crew had pushed out a grand piano as Mickey and James walked off stage leaving Adam, Matt, and Jamison. Jamison walked out from behind her area and over to the grand piano, taking a seat.

“So, usually when we play this song I introduce one of my best friend’s Jesse Carmichael but he’s taking a little vacation so we brought along another one of our close friends with us. Her name is Jamison Song but we all call her Jae. She’s responsible for making this entire set sound awesome and helping us on immensely on this tour.” Adam said, pointing over at Jamison who was sitting at the grand piano as the jumbotron screen was focused on her. “We’re going to slow things down with a cover song by a good friend of ours—she’s lovely, we did a collaboration of sorts with her at the Grammy’s. This one is called “If I Ain’t Got You” by the very lovely and talented Alicia Keys.” The crowd began going wild as Jamison began playing the intro to the infamous song.

John watched as Jamison played the song on the grand piano with fluidity and passion, like it had been second nature. He felt like he was in dream of some sort seeing her perform then the time he first saw her play when he and Jamison had babysat Declan ran through his head and he had caught her singing Declan to sleep.

Declan slipped himself into Jamison’s bed making himself comfortable. As Jamison looked through the books Declan had brought to read to him. John quietly walked towards his room but decided to make a pit stop and peek into Jamison’s room. He stood by the door quietly making sure he was out of view from the two.

“Will you sing me a song?” Declan asked.

“No story?” Jamison asked, as Declan shook his head. “Alright… what song?” She walked over to the keyboard next to her bed and turned it on.

“That Bob Dylan one you sing me…” Declan said, as Jamison warmed herself up by playing a few chords.

Jamison smiled to herself, as she began playing the intro to Bob Dylan’s “Make You Feel My Love” and began singing.

When the rain is blowing in your face,
And the whole world is on your case,
I could offer you a warm embrace
To make you feel my love.

When the evening shadows and the stars appear,
And there is no one there to dry your tears,
I could hold you for a million years
To make you feel my love.

John watched intently as she was singing the rest of the song. He was somewhat surprised-- Jamison had a really nice voice. It was different from his, Jamison had a clear voice compared to his raspy one but still had soul to it. He was completely fascinated by the sight in front of him. He was seeing Jamison beyond the soundboard and studio. Jamison finished the song and played the final chords before getting up from the keyboard and back to her bed.

“Goodnight dude.” Jamison said to Declan patting his head.

“Night.” Declan said, closing his eyes as Jamison turned off the lights in her room.

“Oh gosh…” Jamison said clutching her chest totally caught off guard by John standing in front of the door.

“I didn’t know you sang…” John smirked following Jamison down the hall.

“I don’t…” She said, nonchalantly not even turning around to answer him.

“Then what were you just doing?” Jamison stopped and turned around.

“Baking a cake?” She said jokingly.

“You’re an interesting one.” John said with a chuckle.

“I don’t sing… often… or well.” She simply said before turning back around continuing to walk.

“I don’t believe the latter part of the statement.”

“That’s debatable.” She shrugged.


Adam sang the song with his infamous confident yet passionate stage demeanor.

Some people search for a fountain
That promises forever young
Some people need three dozen roses
And that's the only way to prove you love them


One of the crew members had tossed Adam a bouquet of roses; he continued to sing while he placed them on top of the piano causing Jamison to smirk at his literal gesture to the lyrics while everyone in the audience to scream in envy.

“Let’s give it up for Jamison Song.” Adam said, into microphone before giving starting the round of applause for her.

John had enjoyed the show but his attention had mostly been on Jamison throughout the entire night; watching her play the keyboard, backing vocals, even filling in for songs where they featured a guest artist. He had felt simultaneously proud and heartbroken at once seeing her again.

The guys in Maroon 5 and Jamison took a final bow after the encore before walking off stage and heading to the green room.

“Good job tonight Jae, what sparked on tonight’s performance?” James said, wiping his face with a towel as they walked into their green room.

“I don’t know something just felt different—something felt familiar. I can’t explain it.” Jamison said, unable to elaborate on the feeling that was resonating within her of comfort, nostalgia, and even a bit of love. “It was like a burst of inspiration.”

“Whatever it was. Good job.” Matt said, taking a seat on the couch and opening a bottle of water.

“Thanks.” She smiled, taking a seat on top of the vanity.

“So, day off in Paris tomorrow before we jet off to the next city—what do you want to do?” Adam asked, as he looked over at Jamison.

“I wanna see the hype about this place, I only spent yesterday in a café since it was raining.” She said, stretching her arms.

“You’ll fall in love, it is the city of love after all…” James said, with a chuckle.

“Is it weird we’ve only just started this tour and I already miss my family?” Matt asked, to no one in particular, just thinking his thoughts out loud. “It’s not that I miss LA or anything, I just really miss them.”

“Home is in people, not places.” Jamison smiled, as a sense of nostalgia ran through her when she said those words.

“I wish home was here right now.” Matt said, giving her a lazy smile.

“I felt at home today for some odd reason.” She admitted.

“It’s the love from this city…” Mickey said, smiling over at her.

“It seemed like something so much more than that.” Jamison shook her head. “I felt like I was home for the first time in awhile.” She couldn’t put her finger on exactly why she had felt that way.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: Another b-side—this is from the missing years/it does connect to the first b-side. I hope you enjoyed this and the last chapter! The next chapter is some old familiar faces + Molly visiting + some flashbacks. I do have to do some shameless self-promotion, I started a new story featuring Brendon Urie, so check that out if you’d like and leave me some love on that, it's called Everything Is Everything

Feedback is also welcomed/loved but never required, thank you for all the support (silent or not). I would love to hear from you guys though, whether it’d be random thoughts, feels, wants, hates, etc. Thank you to Georggthomas and dreamingyouhere for commenting on the last chapter!

That being said, also check out these stories…
... And a Happy New Year, You Have My Attention, She's Killing Me, Keep on Going, Like We Used To