Status: I can't promise anything.

Stealing Glances

The More I Drink, The Less I Feel Sorrow

December 2015

After almost 2 months of being in the studio and it happened—The Maine had finally finished making their record. Days of going through old songs and even creating a few new ones, tracking demos, recording sessions, and endless days and nights they had made a record.

“Eclipse” had been released for about a week so far and the guys had decided to do a mini tour for it’s release. Kicking it off in the east coast, they were at a studio in New York being interviewed for an internet publication about the recent release.

The guys sat on their respective stools each holding a microphone as they were answering each question given to them while people were filming and studio lights shined upon them.

“So, it’s been awhile since the last record but now you’ve released “Eclipse” and it sounds great. Can I ask what took you guys so long in between this record and the last one?” Katie, their interviewer asked.

They thought for a moment about their answer…

“Guys, I get the creative process thing. I do… but what is up with not even giving me hope that we’ll have material for the next full-length?” Tim asked, as he and the band sat around the 8123 office having their usual band meeting.

“We’re tapped out right now…” Kennedy defended, as Garrett who sat beside him nodded in agreement. “We’ve been touring… and touring.”

“We can’t tour on the Imaginary EP and “Forever Halloween” anymore. You guys, use the 8123 studio to work on—whatever you need to do. But I really hope you guys get inspired sooner or later. As much as I love all the side projects and EP’s—people are getting antsy about The Maine. Angry young girls are not something that I enjoy dealing with. They are scary and mean… really mean.” Tim gave each of the guys looks of panic from his latter comment causing them to chuckle.

John sighed looking at his fellow members, “I guess we'll have to look through the archives…”

“Do what you need to do…” Tim looked at John, “But I think it’s time we quit stalling.”

After the brutally honest meeting that John hadn’t anticipated. He had went to the 8123 studio and just sat and mulled over what Tim had said, was he really stalling?

“You okay man?” Jared asked, as he walked into the studio and took a seat across from John.

“Yeah…” John nodded. “Just thinking…”

“That’s either a good thing or bad thing…” Jared joked, letting out a sheepish chuckle.

“I never thought we were stalling.” John shrugged. “I guess I hadn’t realized with all the other stuff we've been doing.”

“Usually, you’ve got ideas lined up once we’re back from tour or are writing constantly while we’re on tour… it hasn’t been that way in awhile.”

“I guess I’ve got a bad case of writer’s block.”

“This writer’s block thing seems worse than ever—I’m more worried now more than ever for you.” He admitted with a look of concern on his face. “Since when are you a person with nothing to say?” He asked curiously.


“It was a mixture of things but mostly a creative runt for us. I think we were so worn out from the constant touring as well.” Jared answered, as everyone nodded in agreement.

“So, how did the title come about?” She continued to ask.

“The ‘Twilight’ series really inspired us.” John joked, with a lighthearted chuckle as everyone laughed along. “But all joking aside the whole the definition of eclipse is, “any obscuration of light” and that’s what we were going through creatively. We felt blocked… and eventually found the light and that’s how this album came about.”

“That or you can just pretend we got it from the “Twilight” series.” Garrett joked, as everyone busted out into laughter.

“What’s the inspiration behind the album?” She asked, looking at John for an answer.

“This album encompasses a lot of emotions and thoughts from the last few years—I personally went through a rough patch and was kind of stuck in animated suspension in a sense. I wasn’t living in the past but I wasn’t living in the present either.” John explained. “The inspiration I guess is going back to the old and moving on into the new.”

“Can you tell us more about the newest single “Kicking My Heels”—it’s got a bit of a twang but still has your sound to it… it reminds me a bit of “We’ll All Be” in a sense, with the group vocals at the end of it and things.” Katie said, as everyone shook their heads in agreement with her assessment on the new single.

“”Kicking My Heels” was a song I had written when I was going through a slew of emotions… I wasn’t sure how I was exactly feeling. But somehow that song came to be and it was in the archives for a few years. I didn’t really touch it till we began making this record.” John answered.

“John played us the piano version of it and we loved it. We actually planned to record it with just a piano. But when we were working on the record it somehow became a song with a full band and big sounds including group vocals.” Kennedy explained.

“Which is very reminiscent of “We’ll All Be” I think lyrically in a sense too.” Jared said.

“I like how we can go either way with this song—it’s a versatile one to play depending on how we want to approach it.” Pat added in as everyone agreed.

“What are your plans now that the album is out?” Katie asked to finish off her interview.

“We’re doing our own mini tour to promote this album as of now… and hopefully more touring after that.” Garrett said, happily.

“So, would you guys mind playing us your latest single?”

“Our pleasure.” John said, with a smile.

Pat and Garrett jumped off the stools and walked off set leaving Kennedy, Jared, and John. Kennedy and Jared began strapping on their guitars as John took a sip of water. The three looked at one another before counting off and playing the song.

Why you keep me around?
When you have anyone in this town
Am I the best you hoped for?
Or just the best that you found
And there's no way to explain it
But either way you know I'll take it

Through the haze of the whiskey lights
Through the maze of the angels dressed in cocaine white
I'm not trying to make you change
But love, I know what I like
First you play along, even though it's wrong
And then it starts feeling right

And now the more I drink
The less I feel sorrow
The more I make
The less that I borrow
The more I love ya
The less that I feel alone
Stoned, kicking my heels alone
Stoned, kicking my heels alone

Every person and place that I've been
I keep seeing the same thing all over again
See, even God needs the devil
And I'm one hell of a friend
If it makes you feel much better
At least we're going on together

The more I drink
The less I feel sorrow
The more I make
The less that I borrow
The more I love ya
The less that I feel alone
Stoned, kicking my heels alone
Stoned, kicking my heels alone

Don't wanna worry the rest of my life
Just wanna stay here and have a good time
Come on now

Don't wanna worry the rest of my life
Just wanna stay here and have a good time

More I drink
The less I feel sorrow
The more I make
The less that I borrow
The more I love ya
The less that I feel alone
Stoned, kicking my heels alone
Stoned, kicking my heels alone

The more I drink
The less I feel sorrow
The more I make
The less that I borrow
The more I love ya
The less that I feel alone
Stoned, kicking my heels alone
Stoned, kicking my heels alone
Stoned, kicking my heels alone
Stoned, kicking my heels alone

Don't wanna worry the rest of my life
Just wanna stay here and have a good time
Come on now


After the interview and thanking everyone on set, the guys had met Tim in the lobby of the building. Tim had flown out from Arizona to New York to check up on the tour while doing business by spending the entire afternoon in and out of meetings with people around New York.

“So, I just had a bunch of meetings… but after this mini tour for “Eclipse” we have this huge tour opportunity.” Tim said, sounding completely excited ready to burst out the news at any given second.

“With who?” Jared asked, as the excitement from Tim became somewhat of an anxiety for the rest of them.

“How would you like to start your 2016 doing arena tours opening up for Fall Out Boy?” Tim asked, with a smile.

--------

Right after the interview with Nylon, Jamison and Jake had immediately spent their downtime working on making Sin & Song a reality. Free time spent in the studio recording for what had become their self-titled EP. Without much thought of doing possible one-off shows for the EP. But timing seemed to have worked in their favor; they had been opening for Butch on his mini tour. Much to their luck, Butch’s fans were already fans of each one of them as individuals so it had been a welcomed opportunity.

Sin & Song was a 2-piece band between Jake and Jamison, with Jamison on drums and keyboards while Jake on the guitar, harmonica, and every other instrument. It had a bit of lo-fi, smidge of alternative, some rock and roll, dashes of country and city, splash of pop, and even classical vibes to it all. It had been a project the two of them enjoyed doing and exploring musically together.

It had been the last night on Butch’s tour and the shows had all been incredible. The crowds were great and the company on the road was basically just family. Jamison sat behind the makeshift drum kit consisting of a snare drum, bass drum, tambourine, and one crash cymbal with a keyboard not too far from her while Jake was playing on guitar, the two had just finished playing a cover of Tom Waits’ “Bad As Me”.

“We’re Sin & Song. We hope you’ve been enjoying us thus far.” Jamison said into her microphone as she adjusted her seat. “I’m Jamison and this is Jake. If you didn’t know, now you know. But you guys probably already know Jake as Butch’s life partner.”

“I realized something today...” Jake said into his microphone, looking at Jamison while tuning his guitar.

She gave him a smirk only anticipating the most ridiculous thoughts to come out of his mouth, “What’s that?”

“Out of all my old band mates in The Films, I am the only one that hasn’t tied the knot.” Jake said, in mock sadness with a pout causing the crowd to “aw” for him in a bit of pity.

“Somehow, not even in a bad way. It’s fitting.” She assured him with a laugh.

“I’m going to die alone forever.” He said with a sheepish laugh, as the crowd began cheering him assuring him otherwise.

“Ladies, he is single and just fabulous. I feel like people are missing out on the great Jake Sinclair.” Jamison said into her microphone with a laugh as the girls in the crowd became howling at Jake.

"Don’t you hate it when you start a sentence and it doesn’t end how you think it testicles?" Jake said, with a laugh while throwing random hand gesturing as the crowd burst into laughter at his words.

Jamison shook her head in disbelief as she chuckled staring at Jake. “I don’t even—“

“So this next song, we wrote together in Australia.” He said quickly changing the subject.

“We were both slightly intoxicated…” Jamison said, half jokingly.

“Ever so slightly.” Jake chuckled, strumming a chord to check his tuning.

“We were both going through a tough break up and we wrote this…” She explained. “It’s called ‘Broken Two’”

I tried to grow up and I just broke down
I tried to get lost and I got found
I'm tiny pieces stuck together now
Now...
Like a misplaced mixtape that you couldn't wait to pull out

If you wanna be with me
Maybe you should know that I'm broken
Oh yeah.
There's nothing anyone could do
But if you happen to be broken
We'll be
The broken two

I tried to fly and I just fell
I tried to go to heaven and I raised hell
And at the bottom of a wishing well
Well...
You were climbing up the walls
Waiting for someone to fall under your spell
If you wanna be with me
Maybe you should know that I'm broken
oh yeah.
There's nothing anyone could do
But if you happen to be broken
We’ll be
The broken two

And don't you wanna know
Why everybody else seems fine?
It seems no matter where I go
I'm losing my mind

If you wanna be with me
Maybe you should know that I'm broken
Oh yeah
There’s nothing anyone can do
But if you happen to be broken
We’ll be
The broken two


The crowd cheered, as the two looked at one another with a smile then to the crowd.

“Thank you guys…” Jake said into his microphone, smiling at the crowd.

“This next song we’re going to have our merch guy aka Jake’s cuter and younger brother John come up and play this song.” Jamison said, getting up from her seat as Jake’s younger brother came up on stage and took her seat from behind the makeshift drum kit.

“But you still like me the best right?” Jake asked into his microphone, looking at Jamison with a smirk then over to his younger brother.

“Eh.” Jamison shrugged, “You’re alright.”

It had been Jamison’s birthday; she had spent the afternoon in the studio as always. But this time around it wasn’t her usually day in the studio producing music for others, Jake and Jamison had spent the week writing and demoing for their project—Sin & Song.

Jake was in the recording booth finishing the vocal track for “Light Outside”, the song he had written for Jamison. He had written it for her after coming back from Australia but hadn’t unveiled it till a week before as an “early” birthday present to her.

“Let’s do one more take and go for food…” Jamison said, through the intercom as she sat behind the soundboard waiting to track Jake’s vocals.

Jake nodded then signaled for her to start whenever. Jamison began playing the track they spent the morning recording for Jake to sing over.

I know you want to stay in bed
But it's light outside
It's light outside

So know I am going to stay right here
Because you saved my life once
You saved my life

And I would try to get you out because it's beautiful outside
And we’ll fall
We’ll try
And do our best and I love you otherwise
Because you saved my life once
Because you saved my life once

I know you want to rest your head
and just forget the night
forget the night
So you know I am going to stay right here
And sit by your side
By your side

And I would try to get you out because it's beautiful outside
And we’ll fall
We’ll try
And do our best and I love you otherwise
Because you saved my life once
Because you saved my life once

I think you always knew would be
I think you always knew would be
The greatest
I think you always knew would be
I think you always knew would be
The greatest

Because you saved my life once
Because you saved my life once
Because you saved my life once
Because you saved my life once


“I think we got it…” Jamison said, giving a thumbs up through the window.

Jake walked into the control room and stood behind Jamison looking over her shoulder as she intently listened to the track they had just recorded.

“This EP is going to be great.” Jake said, excitedly.

Jamison smiled, still intently looking at the computer screen. “Anything that has been touched by the Jake Sinclair is destined for greatness.” She teased.

Jake chuckled, giving her a playful shove at her words. “I wanted to give you part of your birthday present now.”

“I thought that song was my present…” She turned to look at him a bit confused.

“There’s a lot of things you’ll be getting from me.”

“Lay it on me Sinclair.” Jamison said opening her hands out.

“Here…” Jake handed her a small bag, “I hope you like it.” He said, sounding a bit nervous.

“It’s not a compliment sandwich…” She said, a bit surprised she had yet to receive her traditional present from him as she stared at the bag.

“You’ll get that sometime tonight.” Jake assured her with a smile. “This is something I really wanted to get you.” She peaked into the bag to see a card onto of a neatly wrapped box.

“And it comes with a card…” Jamison said, taking out the card and began reading it.

Dearest Jamison,
Today is the day where this world went from being a world without you, to a world with you. It sometimes seems like yesterday we met and you were working your magic to help make our record. I’d like to think you were always Butch’s first real engineer, not me. But we all know, I’m better at it because you’re the heart in the studio, and I’m the brain…

It’s such a privilege to just know you but to be able to have you in my life the way I do. I must have done something right in my past life…

There’s a lot I want to say to you but I hope you always remember this…

I’ll embrace all your sad days and loneliness in this lifetime and every one after. So I guess what I mean is— forever.
Your happiness is my happiness… we’re in this together.

There’s never enough songs or words to express how grateful I am… but I hope this present is a constant reminder that a piece of me will always be with you.

Happy birthday—you’ll always be my favorite Song.
I love you Jamison Song… you are always loved.

All my love,
Jacob S. Sinclair

Jamison read the note once more before she realized a tear had fallen from her eye. She quickly wiped it and took out the wrapped box from the bag and opened it.

“Jake…” Jamison said, staring at the gift in awe.

Jake took the box from her hands and lifted the content inside of it out, “Charm bracelet with custom charms, one for each year we’ve known each other. Each signifying something related to our friendship.” He said, gesturing at each charm.

“You’re the best.” She got up from her seat and embraced him tightly completely stunned by his thoughtful gift.

“You are my favorite Song.” He said, kissing the top of her head before pulling back from her embrace. “There is one more surprise for now.”

“What is it?” She looked at him a bit confused but more than anything unsure if she could handle any more thoughtful surprises.

“Come on, it’s outside…” Jake grabbed her by the wrist and pulled her into the parking lot of the studio where he and Butch usually parked their motorcycles.

“Your tandem bike?” Jamison asked, staring at Jake’s infamous tandem bike he had custom made.

“I don’t know why I haven’t done it…” He said, “But we’re going on a bike ride and then I’m teaching you how to ride a bike.”

Jamison immediately began panicking. “Jake—“

“I won’t let you fall or get hurt.” He grabbed her by the shoulders. “Trust me.” He looked at her, his gaze filled with assurance.

“You know I do…”

“If you do well, I’ll be sure to buy your drinks tonight.” Jake teased, lighting the mood.

Jamison chuckled. “Holding you to that.” She said, as Jake pulled her into another hug.

“Happy birthday Jae…”

“Thanks Jake.” She mumbled into his chest.

“Sin & Song for life.”


After their set, Jamison had watched Butch’s set from the side of the stage. Once the show was over, everyone had walked into the green room to see Jonathan (Jake, Butch, and Jamison’s manager) sitting on the couch on his laptop with a smile upon his face.

“Great show.” Jonathan said, “Especially you two…” He gestured at Jamison and Jake who looked at each other with a smile.

“Thank you Mr. Daniel.” Jamison said, giving a mock bow.

“Did you guys read the piece Daytrotter wrote about you guys?” Jonathan asked.

Jake shook his head, “I didn’t even know our sessions was up.” He walked up behind Daniel and began reading aloud what was written on the computer screen.

The first few minutes you meet Jamison Song and Jake Sinclair it’s apparent they were meant—if not, made to be each other’s lives. By that we mean a few (of the many) things: we’re pretty sure they are each other’s favorite drinking buddies (Jake apparently can’t keep up with Jamison), the way Jake immediately takes his jacket off and drapes it over Jamison when she looks cold, and the contrast between their heights is a sight that is pleasantly welcomed. They seem to be so similar yet so different from one another—Song being more mellow and a bit shy, always covering her mouth with the back of her hand when trying to laugh off compliments. While Sinclair is more outspoken and brash, open with his laughter whenever Jamison throws punches at him (verbally or otherwise).

Much to everyone’s surprise (and doubt) they aren’t a couple, but they do work and live together. They strike us as the type of people who sit around their Santa Monica, California, home and give each other shit in the most loving way possible while sharing a bottle of wine or whiskey (which apparently, they actually do!), go on motorcycle rides, and throw lots of get-togethers for their friends. We suspect they refer to each other with nicknames rather than their respective names and have lots of jokes that the two would only understand because of their bond with one another.

And that’s what Sin & Song seems to be—a culmination of the two and their friendship. Two people who happily proclaim they are each other’s partners in crime and write songs about the struggles of nurturing and keeping any kind of relationship alive as well as odes to one another about each other.

They give us the feeling that they’ll be in each other’s lives in this lifetime and every life after (probably while sharing a cemetery plot with another each and every time). The two always perform facing towards one another—an undeniable chemistry (performing or otherwise) and with lyrics like, “Favouritism ain't my thing but in this situation I'll be glad to make an exception” Sin & Song songs are a constant reminder of love in it’s many forms.

We hope this is only the beginning of many more wonderful songs by the duo—it’d be a sin not to create even one more song together.


“That was awfully nice of them.” Butch said, with a smile looking at the two like a proud father of sorts.

We did good Jae.” Jake said, pulling Jamison into a side hug.

“Well, both of us have to get back to our day jobs now.” Jamison joked, as she handed Jake the beer she was drinking so he could take a sip.

“We actually need to talk about that…” Jonathan said, looking at Jamison.

“No work talk— for now, can we just celebrate the end of this tour?” Butch said, half whining as he took a sip of his whiskey.

“Butch’s right, let’s drink and have some fun first.” Jake said, as he took the bottle of Jameson.

“Another one for the books.” Butch said, raising his glass as everyone in the band and crew raised their drinks in the air.

“Cheers.” Everyone yelled in unison with a cheer.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: Unedited. I hope all of you are well! With life, school, work, or whatever you’ve been up to! Sorry for these meh updates (I hope you guys at least can bear with it)… but things will be happening soon! The next chapter is going to be a MHFYH B-side then after that I’m (hopefully) planning to fill in some gaps on some stuff… (Eric and Jamison, John and Molly, etc). Do you guys have any wants/needs on what you want answered I guess or how you think this story might go? As always, feedback is always welcomed but never required. Thanks so much for your support (silent or not) in any way! You guys are loved and appreciated.

Check out these stories (cause I said so): ... And a Happy New Year, Running from the Rain, You Have My Attention, and She's Killing Me

Fun fact: The line, "Don’t you hate it when you start a sentence and it doesn’t end how you think it testicles?" is actually said by Jake in this ... video.

And this might be the greatest video ever on how to make an entrance (from Jake Sinclair himself): This is Jake Sinclair in all his glory.

And this is a photo of Jake for those of you who don’t know what his face looks like: Jake Sinclair

Songs used:

“Kicking My Heels” – Tyler Hilton
“Light Outside”- Wakey!Wakey!
“Broken Two”- Sinclair (Actual project Jake did with his brother John)

Question of the day: Do you guys think between John and Jamison-- one of the two took the break up harder than the other? If so, who and why? Also, tell me what your summer plans are!

Personal Replies

chelsea13-
I’ve said this before (I think to you) them being in Paris at the same time and stuff (hopefully) will make a full circle in a sense. I’m not trying to kill you, I promise!!!

dreamingyouhere- Maybe it will, maybe it won’t. For now, let’s cut John a break haha.

abigailaag- TEAM JAKE OR JOHN? That being said, what you might want, might happen (I won’t say anything else).

everdeen- YOU! YOU! YOU! That is all. I love you… also, I really hope we get you back in one piece and school hasn’t sucked your soul.