Status: Thank you for reading; comments are appreciated.

Death Becomes You

Death, It's Your Turn To Wait

Stupid angels! They never have any answers, and if they did I’m sure they would never tell me. Azrael said he couldn’t stay and chat. He left me in the middle of my bedroom floor about to flood the room with tears. Nothing he said made any sense. He had loyal followers, but no one like me? Why?

I flipped through the ancient book while I waited in the emergency room. All I found in the demented book was how amazing the angel of death and transition was. Who cares? Just tell me, stupid book, why he’s haunting… “Lane Davenport?” The doctor took me back, wrapped my finger, gave me some pain medication, and sent me on my way.

Sleep wouldn’t come to me. My night consisted of mostly glaring at the ceiling until lying on my back became uncomfortable then I turned over and glared at the wall. He took my family from me but wouldn’t give me anything in return. “What kind of angel does that?”

I went to the Witch’s Den early the day after I saw him. Lilac gleamed as she watched me stomp across the store. “Seriously, I thought I was the one with the terminal bad mood?” She mused while I shoved the book she gave me back on the shelf.

“I hate angels! They are selfish, evil, stupid…” I didn’t realize how hot my face had gotten until she whistled at me.

“Listen, Beet…” She smiled as I hit her shoulder. “What do you want from him?”

“Answers!” I took several deep breaths which helped with the redness but not with the anxiety that continuously rose in my stomach. “He says I’m not supposed to see him so clearly but I can, and he won’t tell me why! It’s driving me insane.”

“Maybe you can because you need him?” Lilac shelved some new black candles.

“Please!” I rolled my eyes. “Just tell me what’s wrong with me; there has to be something?” She shrugged her shoulders. There were no more answers available to her than there were to me, and that made it all worse.

“So, if Azrael is Death…” I started. Lilac raised a questioning pierced brow at me while I rolled my eyes in her level of belief; I didn’t really believe all this, but it was happening to me. “Why does he not condone suffering? Isn’t that was death does, tortures people?”

“Not necessarily,” she corrected, “death can often bring peace.”

“He’s not really like that, not peaceful. I mean, everything about him doesn’t have to do with anger, but he makes me so...” I growled under my breath. Frustrating did not seem like the right word to use, so I tried a different approach to my swirling thoughts. “Azrael is easy going and kind of nice, but there are these sparks in his eyes. Those sparks scare me sometimes.”

“Sparks?” Her deep eyes watched me carefully, curiosity filled them.

“Almost like lightning, but he’s not like that.”

She gave me another book, this time from the back room of the store, her private collection. “Here, read this. Maybe it will give you some insight to what’s going on.” The book was red with a black binding. No words graced the cover.

“What is this?” I flipped the book over in my hands. It looked more like a well preserved journal rather than a book.

“Just read it!”

My heart pounded with excitement as I began to open the binding. Lilac hissed before I could see the first page. “Not now! You have work to do.” I smiled at the thought.

Death, it’s your turn to wait.
♠ ♠ ♠
I want to give a quick shout out to some amazing readers. Haylie Jade, CharlieHunnam, Mrs. McCarron, and timel0rd_. Thank y'all for the amazing comments you left for the last chapter. Hopefully, Lane's frustration only mirrors yours and doesn't cause it to get worse.

Now, on to the thank you's. Thank you for reading, subscribing, commenting, and recommending. :). The support for this story means the world. May Azrael be with you all!