Odette is Dead

Odette

I quickly learned the other guys names. One who was buff and tall with dark hair was named Francis, and the one who was tall and skinny with orange hair was named Pud. I’m sure thats not his real name but I only picked this up from conversation.

After I helped pull the arrows out for Greg, I went inside to get something to eat. That, and raid the pharmacy. I settled on a box of snowballs, seeing as I loved the creme filling. It didn’t go unnoticed that Pud was standing at the end of the aisle pretending to be looking at something but really he was watching me. Greg was the only one of the three that didn’t act like a scared mouse around me.

Dusting off my butt, I stood up and grabbed a couple more boxes and started walking towards the pharmacy. After making a quick stop in the personal hygiene aisle to grab a bag, some shampoo and conditioner, soap, deodorant, and toothpaste, I continued to the Pharmacy. Greg and Francis were there, trying to find stuff I suppose.

“Can you get me some vicodin and adderall? I prefer to be home before dark unless I’m actually packing instead of this.” I gestured to my small gun. They both looked up at me, Francis spoke.

“Sorry sweetie, were taking all the vicodin, but the adderall is all yours.” I glared at him.

“Sorry sweetie, I’m leaving town soon and I’m not going out without vicodin so either give it to me or I’ll make you give it to me.” My voice sounded deadly serious. Greg tossed me a couple pill bottles and Francis shot him a glare.

“What the hell do you think you are doing Greg, you know we need those meds.” I ignored them and grabbed a few rolls of gauze and threw them in my tote.

“The community will be fine until our next run. Although, I would love for this girl to join us so we can take care of her and she can share her resources.” He said a bit louder. I sighed and kept my back to them.

“Odette.” I said loud. I could almost feel their confusion.

“What?” Francis asked.

“My name is Odette. And I hate to break it to you guys but I’m not much of a people person.” Francis scoffed. I could almost hear the sarcastic ‘you think?’ that he was obviously thinking.

“Guys, its dark. We need to go now.” I squeezed my eyes shut, I stayed too long. They grabbed the rest of their stuff and hurried towards the door. Greg stopped and grabbed my arm.

“Come on Odette, we need to go.” I listened to him following behind. He reminded me of my neighbor who took care of me. When we stepped outside they were everywhere. They instantly found us and started walking towards us. I wielded my axe and looked at the others who all had guns out. Idiots.

“Put your damn guns away, I’ll get us to the truck.” I hissed. They didn’t put their guns down, but they weren’t shooting either. I threw a couple knives I had on me at them. “No matter what, don’t shoot those guns. That’ll be our death sentence.” I started going into killer mode as I killed myself a path to the truck. Layers and layers of blood were sprayed at me as heads went flying into the crowds of zombies. Eventually I made it to their truck and was completely thankful when the keys were in. I didn’t know how to drive but I suppose now is a good time to learn.

Hearing the engine roar to life, I plowed over zombies and made my way towards the guys who were getting circled. When I pulled up, they all looked up completely thankful and hopped in the back. I slammed my foot down on the gas and made my way out of the lot and towards the road. The glass window behind me slid open and Greg slid in.

“I’ll tell you where our community is.” He said. I felt like rolling my eyes. They seriously wanted to go back to their little community?

“Alright. Is their a vehicle I can take from there back or am I on my own.” I said straightforwardly. He cocked his head to the side.

“I meant it when I said you should come with. Seeing how you kill zombies, you must have gone through some serious shit. People may be good for you.” I drove by my waffle house and glanced over to see zombies in it. Fuck.

“I’ll spend the night, but thats it.” Greg smiled, I don’t know why he is so dead set on me, I was just a messed up girl they saw on the side of the road.