Status: On Hold (Editing)

Game of Life and Death

Chapter One

Looking down from the master bedroom balcony, Ned Stark gave a rare soft smile. His eldest son, Robb, and his best friend Jon Snow, were trying to teach Bran, how to throw a football. Arya the youngest girl had just emerged from the pool and had quickly made her way over to the boys. Scanning his eyes further down the pool he saw his youngest Rickon taking a nap on a blanket, next to a sun bathing Sansa who had her nose deep in the latest summer book. Ignoring the laughs of the elder boys. He felt the a soft hand on his back as he turned to face his wife. Catelyn Stark, born Catelyn Tully, was very fair. Her red hair framed her face as she hid her age well. She casted a glance down at the yard and her face grew with warmth. Ned looked down with her, as he wrapped his arm around her waist pulling her closer.
“What are you thinking about dear wife?” He asked, putting his head in the nook of her shoulder.
“What wonderful children we have.” She said looking down at each of their brood.
“Yes, I think we should keep them a little bit longer.” He joked as a laughed emerged from her lips.
“You are mad.” She said as he spun her around and placed a kiss a deep kiss on her lips.
“If madness means you are happy, then yes my lady, I am mad.” He said leading her into the bedroom. His lips found hers once more as she smiled up at him.
“Dinner will soon be ready.” she said pushing him back. “I came up here to tell you that.”
“Maybe we should have dessert first.” He said. Cat shook her head at her husband.
“Later, my dear. But first we must eat. Don’t you have something to discuss with the children over dinner?” She said her smile slowly faded and her voice grew serious. Ned was lost in his family happiness that he forgot about the news. The position he didn’t want to take, but had to take. His smile had faded from his face as he his thoughts returned to his dear friend Robert Baratheon, who was mayor of a corrupt city.
“I don’t know if I can do this Cat.” His honest slipped from his mouth before he could stop himself. Her face contorted in worry. As she followed him to sit on the bed. Her hands enclosed around his, in a protective manner.
“Don’t know if you can do what Ned?” She asked.
“Up root our family, from the only place that they, and myself have ever called home.” He said looking at the walls of his room. The house had been in the Stark family for more than five generations.
“We will still own Winterfell Manor, we just won’t be living in it all the time. For holidays, we can come back and celebrate as a family. And when Robert is ready to retire from being Mayor, we can move back here, no worries. Winterfell Manor, will never leave your household. Besides, its too cold up here in the winter for the Lannisters, to ever what to own it.” The name Lannister came out like a sin passing from her lips. Leaning down he placed a chaste kiss on his wifes lips as he thanked her for her much needed advice.
“How did I ever get along without?” He asked as his hands tightened their hold on his beloved wife’s.
“You were too busy finding me to care.” She responded with a devious smile as she stood up.
“So that is still a no on dessert then?” The pondered again. Her eyes were a steal as they cut through him.
“Dinner, be down in five.” She ordered her husband. Ned Stark felt his smile return as he watched his love walk through the door. Walking back out to the balcony, the scene had changed as the boys were all looking at Sansa and Arya was telling them something. Sansa too engrossed in her book to notice, Robb and Jon casually walked over to her side of the pool. Arya and Bran sitting down on the edge of the grass watching the show about to happen. Ned could just barely make out what he saw, as Robb quickly snatched the book from her hands. Sansa in anger stood up with a loud and angry ‘Hey’, as Jon quickly picked her up bridal style and walked over to the edge of the pool, dropping her, when he knew she was safe from the edge. Robb had discarded the book and laughed with Jon, as Arya and Bran were lying on the ground holding their sides. Sansa remerged from the water with a furious look on her face. Robb and Jon both took off towards the house as they noticed that she was making her way out of the pool. Ned closed his eyes and took in his children’s laughter with the warm breeze smell of pine needles, from the forest surrounding their estate. The sun on his face, Ned felt at peace. Leaning into the railing and pushing himself back, he opened his eyes to and started to make his way towards the dining room to give the news he had been dreading to give for a week.
♠ ♠ ♠
I do not own any of the characters from Game of thrones. This is a modern AU.