Status: On Hold (Editing)

Game of Life and Death

Chapter Three

The only thing Robb was hearing was the clattering of dishes and Bran fighting with Arya who would win the next soccer game, the crows or the wildings. Normally everyone was talking over each other but today the air felt different Robbs eye turned to focus on Rickon who was giggling while playing with Sansa. Rickon had taken a rather strange attachment to his eldest sister lately. She was trying to feed him his peas, but slightly failing at it. His eyes then caught Jon staring at Sansa and Rickon with a rare turn up of his lips. And for a moment he thought he was looking at a mirror image of his parents. His realization made him swallow his food too quickly. the coughing fit that he was thrown into made everyones eye turn to him. Reaching for his glass of water.
“Robb are you alright?” His mother asked patting his back. Nodding his head he quickly wanted to the attention away from him and the people who startled him. Robb made eye contact with Jon whose brows were furrowed together in confusion and concern for his best friend.
“Yes, Yes, I’m fine, just swallowed too fast or something. Can we talk about something else?” He asked quickly. Trying to not gaze at his best friend and little sister’s now obvious non-sibling like affection towards each other.
“Well, your father and I do need to tell you children something. Ned?” She asked looking at her husband. Robb looked his father as he was staring down at his plate half full of food. He knew this news was the cause for the atmosphere at the table. The strange looks between his parents.
“You children all remember my dear friend Robert Baratheon?”
“The really fat man who lives in Kings Landing?” Arya said sipping on her Coke a cola.
“Arya!” Catelyn hissed at the youngest girl.
“Yes, that would be the one.” He said with a slight chuckle in his tone. “Well, he has been having some trouble with the law down in Kings Landing, and has asked me to come and help.” Everyone remained completely quiet. “So until his term is up as mayor, I will be on his second in command, helping him with the resources to keep the city in order.”
“So you're leaving us?” Bran asked looking at everyone. Robbs eyes looked at his father with sudden sadness. He hated the summer that his father had left with the girls to Kings Landing. It just didn’t feel right not being a whole family.
“Well not exactly. Your mother and I decided that we could not split this family up as we did that one summer. So…” His father trailed off, his face a look of deep sadness.
“So, we have decided, that we will all, as a family be moving to Kings Landing, and remaining with your father until, Robert’s Term has ended.” His mother said putting her hand over her husbands. Robb noticed how tight their grips where.
“Leave Winterfell?” Robb said. “But, our family has owned winterfell for generations, and our own business, we can’t simply just abandon everything.”
“We are not abandoning Winterfell, your Uncle Benjen is coming back from his travels from Essos. In a weeks time, and we will be returning after Robert is done with his term. We will always own Winterfell.” Ned declared looking at his eldest Son. Robb just stared at his plate of food. Then he heard a soft voice.
“Where will be staying?” Looking up, he almost didn’t hear Sansa. Noticing for the first time that her face was almost complete pale. Her eyes a unusually dull.
“Jon’s biological aunt has offered us the Penthouse at Dragon Hotel Drogon.” Robb watched as Sansas body slowly relaxed. She looked down at her food, almost all of it looked untouched.
“When do we leave?” Arya asked.
“Four days. So, I suggested, that after dinner we all start packing.” He said, putting napkin on top of his plate. Robb followed suit. After hearing that he wasn’t going to be living in winterfell, he had lost his appetite. Winterfell was the only place he ever truly called home.
“May I be excused?” Robb asked.
“Are you okay?” Catelyn asked.
“I’m not really hungry anymore.” His siblings all followed suit. Even little Rickon no longer had a smile on his face and looked sad.
“I think Rickon is tired, I’m going to put him to bed.” Sansa said, standing up. Robb stood up as well.
“I’ll help.” He offered.
“Me two!” Arya said.
“Well all help.” Bran added. Jon stood up when after all of the others had. Robb had a burning question he wanted to ask his best friend.
“It takes five people to put a three year old to bed?” Robb heard his mother say to his father. Following the others up stairs. Bran went with Arya into her room, probably to watch the game, and Robb Acted like he was going back to Jon’s and his shared room. Jon followed Sansa into Rickon’s room. Sneaking his way back to the door Robb peered at them, and listened in on their conversations. He could just see them, as Sansa tucked Rickon into his big boy bed. His eyes slowly closing.
“Goodnight Rickon.” Sansa said kissing the top of his head.
“Sweet dreams little wolf.” Jon said looking down at the youngest Stark. Rickon closed his eyes and Jon and Sansa started to leave the room as he Robb quickly made his way to Arya’s room which was across the hall. Opening and shutting the door, he quickly went and shut off the TV. Arya was about to protest, when he held a finger to his lips shushing them. Opening the door slightly he could still hear Jon and Sansa as they shut the door to the boys room.
“Sansa are you okay?” Jon’s voice was heard. At this point Arya and Bran had come to listen as well, hiding behind the door.
“I’m fine, why would you ask?” She replied back.
“Its just, when Mr. Stark mentioned Kings Landing, you seemed frightened. Did something happen when you and Arya went there?” There was quiet as nobody said anything. After almost thirty seconds of silence, Sansa snapped at him.
“Goodnight Jon.” She said, hoping to end the conversation.
“Sansa.” He started, but she cut him off.
“I said, goodnight Jon.” He heard a door open.
“Goodnight, Sansa.” Robb heard Jon Whispered. Then complete silence after Sansa had shut her door.
“Whats going on?” Arya asked as she tired to hear the rest of what was happening. Robb had his ear pressed to the door and suddenly the door was gone as Jon stood there staring at them with his usual furrowed eyebrows.
“I could ask you three the same question.” Jon looked at Robb.
“Its, getting late, I should go pack.” Robb said patting Jon on the shoulder and quickly running off to his room. Trying to ignore the feeling he was starting to have. That annoying over protective older brother feeling.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment, subscribe, recommand