Status: another story i shouldn't start.

Oceans for Backyards

i'll give you my number and maybe we can meet up

It’s been a few weeks since Zayn last went to the aquarium and he worked 6 days of the week to save up for an annual pass for the aquarium. He knew it was extreme especially since he was trying to get the supreme package which included dolphin encounter prices for a full year but he wanted to spend more time with Mackenzie and for some reason he just really liked dolphins now. He set himself a strict budget and breaking that would just set him back in order to get the annual pass but he wanted to see Mackenzie so he broke his rule and bought tickets and dolphin encounter tickets again for the weekend. He needed a break from school which was already a pain in his ass and his friends weren’t that bad but always hanging out with four other guys was a bit exhausting.

Zayn has always been kind of solitary. He was the only boy growing up with three sisters and the house was always crowded with friends or family and Zayn just needs breaks from people sometimes. It just becomes a bit too much and he needs room to breathe which is why he thinks getting an annual pass to the aquarium could be really beneficial. Other than seeing the dolphins and spending time with Mackenzie, it will allow him some time to himself and being at the aquarium really calms him. He could even try to draw there and experiment with different styles. It just sounds like a great refuge and Zayn needs this, he needs a place to call his own. Granted he never thought it would be the aquarium but he’d take it.

Today he chose an earlier time to swim with the dolphin so hopefully he’d have more time with Mackenzie during the day. So when he got there he only had forty five minutes to kill. He decided to see the sharks knowing he could stare at the swim around for forty five minutes and not get bored. When it was only ten minutes until his appointment time he finally left that exhibit and easily found his way to the dolphin exhibit. This time at the kiosk Mackenzie was there talking to one of the other aquarium employees.

“Zayn!” She said looking up to see him.

“Hey.” He greeted her with a hug.

“I saw your name on the appointment list for today. It’s good to see you again.”

“It’s good to see you! Are you my instructor again?”

“Of course! Once I saw your name I put mine down so I could have you. Come on back, we can go ahead and get you changed and everything.”

As they walked to the pool area they casually talked about how they’ve been. Zayn departed for a few minutes to get changed and when he came back out Mackenzie already called Claire over to her and was rubbing her back. Zayn held her hands out to Claire and then rubbed her back with Mackenzie. They went through everything they did last visit but spent a little more time on things Zayn enjoyed a little more than the last. Mackenzie also showed him a few more advanced tricks than normal and Zayn was loving it. When it came time to swim with Claire, Zayn was practically bouncing off the walls with excitement. When his appointment was done, he changed and met back up with Mackenzie. She had another appointment after his but then she could take a lunch break so they agreed to meet up at the dolphin exhibit in an hour so they can have lunch together.

Zayn walked around the cold water exhibit and watched the beluga whales for a while, then the otters and penguins. By the time he was done with that exhibit it was time to meet up with Mackenzie so he headed straight for the dolphin exhibit. He saw standing against the wall, her hair down and falling around her face instead of in a braid. She was checking her phone and was still in her wetsuit but she still looked adorable as ever.

“Hey.” Zayn greeted.

Mackenzie looked up and smiled, “Hey! Hungry?”

“Starving, you?”

“The same.”

“How was your last appointment?” Zayn asked as they weaved in and out of the crowds.

“It was okay.” Mackenzie said. “They weren’t nearly as fun or interested in it as you. I mean not everyone is and I get that. I understand that not everyone gets a connection with dolphins like I do but I hate when people make a joke of it and that’s what they did.”

“I’m really sorry Mackenzie. It’s a hard thing to understand unless you feel it. It’s the same way with me and art. I’m in school for it and sometimes we study famous paintings and I don’t get it at all but the kid next to me will feel something from it.” Zayn explained. “It’s all about perspective.”

“Yeah.” Mackenzie agreed, holding onto Zayn’s arm as they darted out of a running child’s path. “It’s just so frustrating to feel this way about something, to be so passionate about it and have people who thinks it’s just a hobby or like a program on tv and make fun of it. It sucks and I don’t appreciate it.”

“I don’t blame you, honestly. I don’t think I could ever be this outspoken about my art like you are about your love of dolphins. It’s courageous really.”

“Well thank you. I don’t want it to seem like I complain a lot. It’s just hard to have such a good session like yours and then have douchebags who think dolphins are just show animals.’

“I understand, Mackenzie.” Zayn told her. “I’m sorry that happened.”

Mackenzie shrugged, “I just have to not think about it anymore, which is harder than it seems but oh well. At least I know there are people out there like you who just enjoy it.”

Zayn smiled at her and nodded, “Of course.”

They finally got to the cafeteria and Zayn followed her around decided to get some pizza and chips, Mackenzie opting for chicken fingers and fries. Mackenzie walked through the checkout first and showed her badge then told the cashier Zayn was her brother and he just forgot his badge after he swam with the dolphin. The lady let them pass and Mackenzie quickly found them a table.

“Thanks for that.” Zayn told her.

“It’s no big deal. ‘Least I could do since you paid like a thousand dollars to hang out here today.”

“It wasn’t a thousand, close but not quite.” Zayn teased. “It’ll probably be a while before I can come back.”

“Oh,” Mackenzie frowned. “Why?”

“Well it costs a lot of money so I’m trying to save up for that supreme annual pass thing. I’m close to being there. I wasn’t supposed to show up today but I couldn’t help it.” Zayn shrugged.

“I wish it didn’t cost so much, honestly. I always thought the pricing was so high and I don’t think it’s fair to you. Someone who just enjoys this place and what we have to offer. I’m lucky enough to work here and get in for free, I’m sure I’d be broke and living on the streets just so I could come here every once in a while.”

“I’ve been working extra shifts and sometimes overtime at my job so I can save up. It’s tiring with school and having friends over at my flat almost all the time but I don’t know. I’ve found a safe haven here and I think the annual pass will be worth it for sure. Plus seeing you in this wet suit all the time won’t be so bad.” Zayn winked making Mackenzie blushed.

“Have you always loved aquariums and sea life or is this new?”

“New, definitely new. It wasn’t until like two years ago that I even learned how to swim to be honest. I really never thought I’d be an ocean or ocean life kind of guy. But this place is just so cool and calming and the dolphins man.” Zayn said shaking his head. “It’s a nice break from school and the city and I think it’ll bring me some new inspiration for my art.”

“That’s really cool.” Mackenzie commented. “I’m assuming you’re in school for art?”

“Your assumptions would be correct.”

Mackenzie asked more questions about his course work and his art until it was time for Mackenzie to go back to work. She had a few more appointments and she had a show that she got Zayn in for free. But once they were over she was done for the day and she was able to walk out with Zayn.

“Well since you won’t be able to come here for a while I’ll give you my number and maybe we can meet up. My schedule is pretty hectic but I usually have a day or two off.”

Zayn smiled and handed her his phone, “Yeah that sounds cool. I only go to school every other day and well I’m working practically every day but I’m sure we can work something about.”

Mackenzie gave him his phone back, “I hope so.” She said smiling at him. “Go before you miss the train.” She told him.

“Alright, alright.” He said giving her a hug. “See you soon.”

Mackenzie nodded and waved, “See you soon.”
♠ ♠ ♠
i wrote another chapter while my girlfriend was at work so i guess you could say i'm on a roll.

if you haven't already please check out my girlfriend's niall horan story.