Status: Complete

Just Like the Movies

Free

It was pouring rain out and Brendon felt like he was seeing a ghost. He was lounging on his couch in Batman pajama pants and an old band tee when he heard the knock on the door. He turned Star Wars off and went to answer it. He had no idea who it could be. He certainly wasn't expecting this.

It had been a long time since he'd seen Ryan last, nearly a year. And suddenly here he was on his doorstep, soaking wet and crying. Was this a dream? "Ryan?" he asked.

"I'm sorry." Ryan sniffled. "I didn't know where else to go."

Brendon stared for a moment in shock. Then he said "Come in."

Ryan walked inside slowly, dripping water all over his floor.

"Let me get you a towel and some dry clothes to borrow," Brendon offered. He grabbed a clean towel, a pair of sweatpants, and a hoodie. Ryan took them gratefully.

"Thank you," he said, before disappearing into the bathroom, leaving Brendon alone to wonder what was going on.

When Ryan returned, they sat together on the couch. Brendon gave him a hot cup of coffee and for a while they just stared at each other. Ryan held the mug in his pale hands, sipping slowly. His damp hair was stuck to his forehead and there were shadows under his eyes from lack of sleep.

"So..." Brendon said.

"I broke up with Pete," Ryan announced.

"What?"

"I broke up with him."

"What happened?" I thought you guys were engaged."

"We were," Ryan nodded. "I have him the ring back." He paused, gathering his thoughts. "When me and Pete first got together I thought he was great. I was in love. I knew he had issues but he promised he was doing better. And then one day, I realized he wasn't better at all and he never would be. I tried to give him time. Talking to him about it only made it worse. There was distance between us. I didn't want to kiss him. I didn't want to be around him. But I felt trapped."

"I'm so sorry Ryan."

"It's okay. It's actually kind of a relief to be free of him now."

Brendon nodded understandingly. "It's late. Why don' you try to get some sleep? You can have my bed."

"It's a big bed," he yawned. "We can share."

Brendon hesitated for a moment then gave in. "Okay."

They made their way to his bedroom. Brendon was sure to leave space between their bodies. Ryan moved closer anyway, snuggling up to him. His face was buried against Brendon's shoulder and Brendon wrapped an arm around him.

"I wanted true love...just like the movies," Ryan was whispering. "Is that stupid?"

"No Ryan, it's not stupid."

"There was something else I realized..."

"What's that?"

"I love you. I always have. And no one else could compare to you."

"Why didn't you say anything?"

"I was afraid."

It was a simple enough answer. Brendon thought about it for a moment before replying. "Ryan?"

"Yeah?"

"I love you too."

They drifted asleep together. Ryan didn't know what the future would hold for him now but he could breathe easy. He was free to make the future whatever he wanted.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wrote this quickly just to get back into writing stories again. It's been a while since I've done a one-shot. I'm busy about to write my next novel so I just used an old layout, no time to make a new one.