Status: In The Works c:

Oh, Calamity

True Colors

-Katherine’s POV-

“That movie was so scary, oh my God.” I said, shivering. It was almost dark, and the temperature dropped a few degrees. Aaron and I had just exited the movie theatre, and we were now heading to his car to drive to the restaurant where we will be having dinner.

“It wasn’t that bad, Kitty Kat.” Aaron laughed and I rolled my eyes at the nickname he has already given me. “You have to admit, it was a good movie.” I nodded and we finally reached his car. He opened the door for me and closed it after I was in. As soon as he was in the driver’s seat, he turned the key in the ignition and we were off.

“I agree that it was good, but that doesn’t mean it didn’t scare me Ar.” I said, looking out of the window, watching the lights of the city pass by in flashes. We sat in a comfortable silence until we reached the restaurant. He once again opened my door and grabbed my hand to help me stand. He didn’t let go after I was out of the car and I didn’t try to pull away. I realized that I wanted to take this relationship somewhere when his arm was around me in the theatre. What happened with Alex was just a caught-up-in-the-moment kind of thing. He was right, though, because I do feel more confident about Aaron kissing me. I felt bad about not telling Aaron about it. He deserves to know.

We had just sat down at a table for two, and ordered our drinks when I decided to tell him the truth. “Hey, Aaron, I have something I need to tell you.” I said, starting to feel anxious. I might be about to screw this whole thing up, but he deserved the truth.

“What is it, Kat?” He put his hand over mine. “You can tell me anything.” I relaxed at his touch but became anxious once more when I realized he was waiting for me to spit it out.

“Well, earlier, before you came to Alex’s to pick me up..” I bit my lip. He was going to hate me.

“Yeah?”

“He kissed me. Alex kissed me, but it was because I had never been kissed before and he thought it would help me be more confident if you tried to kiss me tonight. He didn’t do it because he likes me or anything and I don’t like him at all so you don’t have anything to worry about.” I stopped myself from going on and on. I sat there anxiously as Aaron processed what I had just told him. I was about to ask him to say something, when he finally spoke.

“Did you kiss him back? I won’t..be mad persay, but I just need to know so we can put this behind us.” Aaron tried to smile and he squeezed my hand. He was willing to put this whole thing behind us so we could build a relationship together.

“Yes, I did. I got caught up in the moment of being kissed for the first time but it didn’t exceed to anything more.” I was not lying when I told Aaron this and I was proud of myself for taking the high road. “I promise, there is nothing between him and I and that I am glad to be here, with you, at this beautiful restaurant.” I smiled and squeezed his hand, to which he smiled at me.

“I believe you, Katherine. Thank you for being honest with me. I don’t like that Alex kissed you or that you let him, but I trust that it won’t happen again.”

“I swear, it won’t.” A few moments after the talk, our waiter came and took our orders. We ended up telling stories about each other in the mean time.

“Are you serious?” Aaron asked, trying to contain his laughter. I threw a wad of napkin at him.

“Shut up! I was like eleven. I thought the red lipstick made me cooler than the rest of the girls in my grade.” I laughed. When I was eleven, I had put on some of my mom’s red lipstick and went to school. I didn’t know how to work lipstick so it was all over my face and teeth and I ended up being the laughing stock of the sixth grade.

“Okay, well I bet you I can top that. When I was six, my sister made me play dress up with her and she dressed me up in her dress and her little Mary Jane shoes. My mom ended up taking pictures and hanging them up in our house so everyone who came over saw them. I ended losing like five friends because of it.” He pulled out his wallet and showed me the picture he was talking about. It took everything in me to not laugh.

“You were so cute!” I said, giggling. He smiled and put his wallet away. I looked at him and noticed that while he was smiling, his eyes showed some sadness. “Do you have that picture in your wallet because of what happened?” I asked, looking at him with sincerity.

“Yeah, it’s one of my favorite memories of her. She was so happy when I agreed to dress up with her that it made me happy to do it. I don’t ever regret dressing up like a girl or losing friends because of it because it made her so happy.” He gave a sad smile. “All I wanted was for her to be happy.”

“I’m sure you made her happy,” I started. “I bet you made her happy even when everything seemed wrong.”

“If I made her happy, then she wouldn’t have…” He couldn’t finish his sentence. Right then the waiter came with our food. Though now I didn’t feel like eating. I squeezed his hand.

“It wasn’t your fault, Aaron. I’m sure you made her happy, but with depression and everything, along with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, it’s hard to see the light in dark situations. Her demons won and there isn’t anything you or anyone could have done. Don’t blame yourself.” I gave him a soft smile and he returned one.

“Thank you, Kitty Kat, I needed that. Now let’s enjoy the rest of this date and eat this delicious looking food.” He picked up his silverware and started eating and I followed in his steps.

-

“Thanks, Aaron, for a wonderful first date. I had a really nice time.” I smiled as we stood on Alex’s porch.

“I did too, Katherine.” He smiled at me and pushed some of my hair out of my face. “You’re beautiful, you know.” I felt butterflies swell up in my belly as he said that. He started to lean in closer and it took everything I had in me to keep myself calm. He brought his lips to mine and kissed me. I felt like I was floating off of the ground. His lips were soft, sweet and warm. The kiss ended too soon and I was left in a haze. “I’ll see you tomorrow at school, Kitty Kat.” He kissed my forehead and headed down the driveway.

“How was your date?” Alex asked, right when I walked inside of his house. I nearly jumped out of my skin.

“Jesus Christ, Alex! You scared me half to a heart attack.” I said, clenching my fists. “And for your information, it was wonderful.”

“Did he kiss you?”

“Yes, and I told him what happened between us and he isn’t holding it against you or me. We’ve put it behind us and we are going to move on with this relationship.” I smiled and walked past Alex to go upstairs. I didn’t want to hear what he had to say, because I was happy and didn’t need him ruining it with any snide remarks. I went to my room, closed the door, changed into my pajamas, and slid into bed under the covers. It didn’t take long for my eyes to close and for my body to go into its sleeping state of mind.

-

“Morning, Lex.” I said, as I came downstairs.

“You woke up late; we have to leave in a few minutes.” Alex said, putting his plate in the sink. I hurried to make a bowl of cereal and hurried to finish it in record time. I slipped on my ankle boots, my backpack, and Alex and I headed out the door. As we walked, Alex asked the unavoidable question.

“Are you guys actually dating now? Like, are you girlfriend and boyfriend or what?”

“I don’t know, but I’m sure if we aren’t now then we will be soon.” I answered, focusing on the path ahead of me. I saw the school come into sight and Aaron at the front doors. I smiled with glee and started running.

-Alex’s POV-

I watched as Katherine ran towards the school, and towards Aaron. I picked up my pace but didn’t run. She made it clear that what happened between us was nothing more than a one time thing. I watched as Aaron kissed her and they disappeared inside the school. Once I got inside, I was met with a petite brown haired girl. Lisa Ruocco.

“Hey, Lexiboo,” She smirked.

“Hey Lisa.” I said, continuing to walk. She followed and fell into step beside me.

“Are you going to the costume party next Saturday? I heard it’s going to be off the rails.” A party? Just the perfect thing to get my mind off of Katherine.

“I am now. Who’s hosting?” I stopped at my locker and turned the dial until I had it unlocked.

“Nick McClain.” Ah. Of course, the biggest douchebag on the football team. His house was huge and his parents were probably going away for the weekend like they always do. It’s been a while since I’ve been to a party at his mansion of a house.

“I’ll be there.” I slammed my locker shut after grabbing my Literature textbook and started walking towards the guys locker rooms.

“You know, if you’re free tonight, I could come over.” Lisa stepped in front of me, blocking my way. I walked around her and she followed me until I reached the locker rooms. Then she just plain out blocked my way of getting in. “Or we can ditch right now and head to my place. My parents are at work so we could have the whole house to ourselves.” She pulled me close and pulled me down so she could look me in the eyes. “You know you want to.” She pulled me in and kissed me and I thought to myself, ‘fuck it’. I kissed her back and she smirked when it ended. She grabbed my hand and we walked down the hall and out of the school. Her place wasn’t that far away so we walked and once inside her house she pulled me down and kissed me hard. I lifted her up and she wrapped her legs around me.

I carried her upstairs and into her room. I threw our bodies onto her bed and eventually, one by one, our clothing came off until I was in my boxers and she was in her underwear. It felt like deja-vu; something so familiar. Why did we break up again? I lost myself in her and let Katherine be pushed to the back of my mind.

-------------

I collapsed beside her, breathing hard. She was trying to catch her breath as well and she curled up into my side.

“I want you back, Lex.” She said, giving my neck sweet and light kisses. I wasn’t sure if I entirely wanted Lisa back, but I did feel some sort of safety right now being with her. It was obvious Katherine wasn’t interested in me, so why should I chase her?

“Okay.” I said. “I love you, Lisa.” I was just going to have to move on from Katherine.

“I love you too, Alex.” It was going to be hard, with Katherine living in the room across from mine and everything. I was just going to have to ignore her. That would work, right?

-Katherine’s POV-

“Have you guys seen Alex?” I asked when I got to the table where I now sat at with Alex’s friends, or I guess they were now my friends too.

“I haven’t,” Jack said. “What about you guys?” he looked towards Kara and Rian.

“I haven’t seen him since Friday, Kat.” Rian told me and Kara nodded in agreement. Ugh, where did he run off too? He skipped out on gym and creative writing and obviously his third and fourth periods too. “Why are you looking for him?”

“He was here this morning. I walked with him to school, you know, seeing as we live together at the moment.” I ran a hand through my hair and sat down in defeat.

“That’s weird. I wonder where Alex could be.” Jack frowned.

“Did you say Alex?” I looked up and saw the girl from that day in the locker room standing at our table. I nodded and she smirked. “I saw him leave with Lisa Ruocco. They’re probably fucking in her room right now.” She laughed and left, leaving Rian and Jack wide eyed and myself confused.

“Who’s Lisa?” I asked, having a feeling that I wasn’t going to like the answer.

“She’s Alex’s ex girlfriend,” Rian started.

“And she dumped him when she thought he was looking at other girls.” Jack finished.

“Was he?” I questioned.

“I think he was, but with the way he took the break up I don’t want to believe it.” Rian said.

“What happened? How did he take it?”

“He was drinking like crazy. He went to every party he could find and just drank until he passed out on the floor. Each time he woke up somewhere else, whether it be in the bed of a girl he slept with or on the bathroom floor at the person’s house. Dude was shit faced almost every night.” Jack sighed. “I hated seeing him like that so I snapped him out of it by punching him in the face.” I looked at Jack, shocked.

“You punched your best friend?”

“He deserved it.”

“What on earth is wrong with you guys?”

“He needed to snap out of it. He didn’t go home for a month, Katherine.” Rian chimed in.

“He didn’t?”

“Nope,” Jack stated. “Like I said, every morning he was somewhere new. Fortunately, this happened over the summer; unfortunately, this led him to not going home for a month. His parents were worried sick so I had to beat some sense into him. I hated hurting him and picking a fight, but he was getting out of control. If he didn’t stop, something could have happened.”

“I’m surprised he didn’t get anyone pregnant.” Rian said, messing around with his food.

“So what happened after you beat him up? Did he come to his senses?” I asked Jack.

“Yeah, he did. He finally went home and he’s been sobered up ever since. He apologized to all of us and his parents for making them worry and things went back to normal. He still has feelings for Lisa, though, so it isn’t a surprise he went with her.”

“I know for a fact that Lisa still loves Alex and so it’s not a surprise she went after him again.” Kara spoke up this time. I looked at her.

“Seriously? So basically, what you’re saying is that they’re most likely back together now?” I kept asking questions and my head hurt from all of this.

“Yeah, more than likely. Why? Do you like him?” Rian asked. I shook my head.

“No, I don’t. That’s actually the other reason I was looking for him. I went on a date with Aaron Stephens last night and this morning he officially asked me to be his girlfriend.” I gushed, smiling like a love sick idiot.

“Oh my God, congrats Kat!” Kara smiled. I nodded my thanks to her and Jack hugged me saying I was now a woman. I rolled my eyes and Rian congratulated me as well.

“Thanks, guys, but I need to tell you something.” They all looked at me and waited. I breathed in and out before speaking again. “Alex kissed me yesterday and I don’t know what it meant. He said it was because he wanted me to be more confident if Aaron kisses me and Aaron did but anyway..” I started to babble again. “I’m not sure if Alex likes me or if he was telling me the truth or now that I know about him and Lisa, I’m not sure if it was just him getting out some feelings he’s been bottling up.” Jack, Rian and Kara all stared at me and then looked away.

“It was probably him getting out some feelings, Kat. He more than likely didn’t mean anything by it. Did he apologize?” Rian asked.

“Yeah he did and I told Aaron about it and we’re fine and we’ve put in behind us.” I confessed.

“Then you shouldn’t worry about it, Kit Kat.” Jack laughed. “Stop being a worry wart.” I nodded and got up to go get my lunch. I shouldn’t worry about it. I mean, Alex loves Lisa still and I liked Aaron, so it wasn’t a big deal. When I got back, Jack was eager to ask me a question.

“Are you going to Nick McClain’s party next Saturday?” Who?

“Jack, who in the hell are you talking about?”

“He’s some jock on the football team. He’s a major dickwad so I won’t be going.” Rian said.

“Will you please go? You can invite Aaron.” Jack looked at me with puppy dog eyes.

“Ugh, Jack, I don’t go to parties. In fact, I’ve never been to one.” I stated and he looked at me, shocked out of his mind.

“It’s official. You are going. We can go look for costumes together this weekend.”

“Costumes? Is it a costume party?” What the fuck was I going to wear? Well, a costume, duh, but what would I dress up as?

“Yes it is and you are going with me whether you like it or not or whether Aaron goes with or not.” Jack said, smiling proudly. I rolled my eyes.

“Fine, I’ll go. Is Alex going?”

“You can ask him when you get home.”

“If he’s even home.” Jack shrugged and I continued eating my food. My head was going crazy with thoughts. Within the past five days I made five friends, obtained a boyfriend and now I was going to go to some wild party next weekend. How did my life become so colorful in just a few days?
♠ ♠ ♠
I am just piling up with ideas for this story. So Alex is back with Lisa, hooray! Or..boo? Katherine likes Aaron and is now his girlfriend. What do you think is going to happen at the party? Something dramatic, I'm sure.
Katherine's Outfit
P.S.- Thank you for reading!