Status: In The Works c:

Oh, Calamity

Flesh and Bone

-Alex’s POV-

Lisa and I had been going out for almost a month now and things were great. Well, aside from still having feelings for Kat. I loved Lisa, but I missed Katherine. I knew I was an asshole to her at the party three weeks ago, and I knew that she was drunk, but what she said really hurt Lisa. I couldn’t just forgive her for that. I didn’t see Katherine come home on Friday, but she returned Saturday afternoon.

“Where were you?” I asked when she came up the stairs. She jumped, notifying I startled her.

“Why do you want to know?” She asked.

“You didn’t come home last night.”

“Wait,” she paused to let out a laugh. “You actually came home?”

“Yeah, Kat, I did. I dropped Lisa at home and came home.” I gritted my teeth. She shrugged and headed into her room. I followed, but stopped at her doorway. “I answered your question, so what’s yours?”

“I had to take care of a drunk Jack Barakat. I couldn’t exactly get home.” She said sitting on the bed.

“Why didn’t you just call me? I would have picked you up.” Would I? I didn’t know.

“I didn’t want to bother you.” She ran a hand through her hair. “Can you leave? I’m tired and I want to rest a little.” She tried smiling at me, but I knew she was forcing it.

“Yeah. Whatever.” I sighed in frustration and walked into my room. I was getting the cold shoulder now and it sucked.

-

Sunday morning, my parents were out grocery shopping and Kat was still asleep. I ended up sitting on the couch most of the morning playing my guitar and humming out melodies and jumbled lyrics that didn’t make any sense.

“Alex? Is that you?” Katherine’s voice was groggy. She walked into the living room and sat on the leg of the couch, opposite from where I was. “I guess so.”

“Hey, Kat…” I trailed off. It was awkward between us. I needed to apologize though. I finally realized last night that I needed to man up. “Look, I’m sorry.”

“Excuse me?” She looked at me.

“I’m sorry for being such an ass to you. You were drunk, and you didn’t mean to say those things to Lisa.” I looked at Katherine and sighed. “I really am sorry and I hope you can forgive me, or at least can pretend to be friends with me.” She laughed and I raised a brow.

“You’re forgiven. It did hurt, what you said though.” She frowned a little.

“I’m so fucking sorry for that, Katherine. I don’t even know why I said that. Please, please forgive me.” I was genuinely sorry for what I said.

“It was really uncalled for in a way, but I guess it made us even. You’re forgiven and I would be happy to be your friend again.” She smiled and my heart skipped a beat. I loved Lisa, but she couldn’t do this to me anymore. She didn’t make my heart race nor did she make me want to be a better person.

“Really?” I asked, hoping this wasn’t a dream.

“Yeah.” She smiled. “Come on, let’s get dressed and go get some breakfast. You can tell me about Lisa. I can’t exactly judge her if I don’t know her.” Kat giggled and walked back up the stairs. I followed and we changed in our respective rooms before heading out the door and walking to the diner five blocks away.

“So what do you want to know about Lisa?” I asked while chowing down on some bacon.

“Hmm,” She hummed. “I guess how you guys met and what she likes and things like that.” She took a bite of her eggs.

“Well, we met freshman year and we were friends for a while before I asked her out.” I started, smiling at the memory. “She likes little things in life. She loves horseback riding and taking care of animals. She really enjoys fashion so she runs a blog on that kind of stuff.”

“That’s pretty cool. Is she nice?”

“She can be. She can be a bitch though. She’s kind of controlling and she never thinks about my feelings to be honest.” I saw Kat’s eyes widen.

“Really?! Then why are you with someone like that?” She looked me in the eyes. “You are Alex Gaskarth. You are friendly and sweet and kind and…” She paused. “You’re just you and you deserve the best. You don’t deserve anything less than perfect.” She said that so fiercely that it rattled my brain. I knew I didn’t deserve the kind of treatment Lisa gave me, but I needed something to distract my feelings for Katherine.

“I guess you’re right. I shouldn’t be with her, but I don’t know how to end it without hurting her.”

“That’s the thing about life, Lex. You’re going to have to hurt people sometimes, even when you don’t want to. You’re going to hurt people when you don’t mean to. It’s just how life works. You shouldn’t feel bad about wanting to break up with Lisa, because it’s what you want and you’re doing it for you.” No, Katherine. I was doing it because I have feelings for you and because you’re the perfect person for me.

“You’re right, Kat. I shouldn’t feel bad about it, so I’m going to break up with her. I’ll do it tomorrow morning.” I said, feeling slightly guilty about lying. I had feelings for Katherine and I was breaking up with Lisa for her but of course she doesn’t know that. Why would I tell her that? It could ruin everything between us. Again.

“No! You shouldn’t do it in the morning. That will ruin her entire day.” She had a point. “You should break up with her after school, that way she doesn’t have to go all day crying at school.” And so I did. Monday afternoon, at three-thirty P.M. sharp, I broke up with Lisa. I had skipped lunch to figure out what I was going to say and even though I did my best to let her down easy, I still got a slap to the face.

“Why is your cheek pink, dude?” Jack asked as I walked into my house.

“Lisa slapped me.” Wait. “Jack, why are you here?” I asked.

“I’m hanging out with Kit Kat. We made plans yesterday to. You can join us if you want. We’re about to play Mortal Kombat.” I shook my head.

“Nah, I’m gonna go take a nap. I had a long day. Have fun, dude. Don’t let Katherine kick your ass!” He threw a pillow at me and I laughed as I walked up the stairs.

“How’d it go with Lisa?” Kat was at the top of the stairs, waiting for me to answer.

“I got slapped, but I’m glad it’s over with.” She smiled and rolled her eyes.

“Good. Now you can focus on you and what you want for yourself.” I want you.

“Yeah, exactly. Thanks for the advice and everything, Kat. It really opened my eyes.” To the fact that I really really like you. She took a step forward and hugged me.

“You’re welcome, Lex. I’m here for you anytime you need someone.” She pulled away and I cursed mentally at how short that hug was. “Now if you'll excuse me, I have to kick Jack’s ass at this game.” She laughed and headed downstairs. Oh, how I wished she was mine. That was my last thought before drifting into a peaceful nap.

-

A couple hours passed before I finally woke up from my nap. I let myself wake up fully before heading downstairs.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, though, Jack.” I heard Kat say. I stopped at the corner that’s right before the living room. I knew eavesdropping was bad but something in the tone of her voice made me curious.

“I know but I don’t want to leave.” whined Jack. I rolled my eyes. “Is Alex still asleep?” What? Why was he concerned about that?

“I think so.” I peeked around the corner, just enough so I could see them but they couldn’t see me.

“What the fucking hell?!” I shouted, giving away my location. Jack and Katherine were in my living room. Kissing.

“Oh my God, Lex.” Kat blushed furiously. “This, uhm, isn’t what it..”

“Are you guys dating?” I was furious, though I had no reason to be. I never told Jack about these feelings for her and she thought I didn’t like her so in reality I was the one to blame.

“Yeah, Alex. I asked her to be my girlfriend on Saturday morning.” Jack said, grabbing Kat’s hand. All I could see was red; I was that angry. Jack, my best friend, took Katherine away from me. Katherine, the girl I liked. Katherine, the girl I wanted to be better for so I could have a chance. Now all of that was ripped away in seconds because of Jack.

“We were going to tell you, Alex..” Katherine started but I cut her off.

“It’s fine, guys.” I lied. “I was just upset you didn’t tell me sooner.” Liar. “I’m happy for you guys.” Might as well have someone set my pants on fire.

“Really? I mean, I was going to talk to you about it, man, but it just kind of happened.” Jack said, looking guilty. Yeah, you should feel guilty you fucking traitor.

“No, guys, it’s fine. Really.” I smiled the best I could, hoping they wouldn’t notice how plastic it was. “Just no sex on the couch or in my bed.” I laughed and Katherine looked uncomfortable. Shit, I might have blew our friendship. “I didn’t mean anything negative, Kat, I’m sorry for making you uncomfortable.” She smiled slightly at me.

“It’s alright, Alex. I’m just not comfortable thinking about sex at all right now. I want to take things slow with Jack and he understands why.” I looked at Jack and he nodded.

“Don’t worry, Alex. You know she’s in good hands.” He smiled and I couldn’t help but actually feel happy for them. I could tell they really liked each other, and if Jack was happy… well, so was I. Hell, if Katherine was happy, I was too.

“I trust you, Jack. Seriously, though, I’m happy for you guys.” and for the first time, I told the truth.

-

-Katherine’s POV-

October ended nearly three weeks ago, and things were great between Jack and I. He took me out on dates every weekend and during the week we would just lounge around at his house or Alex’s. Not much has happened these three weeks, other than Alex was back to partying and drinking until the sun came up. He hooked up with girls a lot at these parties and I was just praying and hoping he was being safe or that these girls were on birth control.

Rian and Kara are still together, which is great because they are just perfect for each other. Though, they are in a weird situation right now. They had gotten into a fight because Rian wasn’t going to her parent’s house for Thanksgiving, which was in three days. We were on break right now and Kara and I were sitting in my room, painting our nails as she vented about this.

“Like why would he not go this year? He’s gone with me for the past two years, Kay!” Somehow Kara started to call me Kay for a nickname so I just let it happen.

“He has family, too, Kara. He needs to see them. Especially if his grandmother is turning ninety tomorrow.” Kara sighed in defeat, knowing I was right.

“Yeah, I know, I just wish he was here right now.” She pouted and I scoffed.

“Oh, so I’m not enough?” I said, mocking a surprised voice. Kara rolled her eyes.

“You are so lucky I don’t want to get nail polish on everything because I will throw a pillow at you.” I laughed.

“You’ll be fine. It’s just another few days and then he’ll be back and you guys can kiss and hug and whatever else.”

“Yeah, you’re right.” She finished painting her last toenail and put away the polish. “So what are you doing for Thanksgiving? Are you going to Jack’s or your mom’s or?”

“Jack invited my mom and I to have dinner at his house this Thanksgiving. It really sucks that she hasn’t found a house yet for us. Usually these things don’t take that long but I guess with our low budget, it’s harder to find a place.” I sighed. Kara put a hand on my shoulder and smiled at me.

“Everything is going to be okay, I promise.” I smiled back. She was right. Soon enough, I would be back with my mom. The last I had seen her was the first week of this month. We decided to keep distance just in case my father escaped and found us. For us, it was better to be separated.

-

It was Thanksgiving Day and I was more than ready to head to Jack’s. I had gotten ready super early this morning and was waiting for Alex.

“Hurry up!” I yelled from downstairs. Alex came down a few minutes later.

“Stop being a mother. I already have one.” Alex joked and I rolled my eyes. We left and got into Alex’s car to head to Jack’s.

“Jack!” I said, running into his arms like it had been forever since I last saw him.

“Kit Kat!” He hugged me tightly. “I missed you.”

“You saw each other like, two days ago.” Alex pointed out.

“Shhh, don’t let Mr. Grumpy Pants spoil the moment.” I joked and Alex rolled his eyes and walked inside. Jack and I kissed, that is, we kissed until my phone rang which was about ten seconds after we started.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Is this Katherine Evans?” the voice on the other line asked.

“Yes, this is she.” I said. My face went pale and I started to shake.

“Katherine? Are you okay, babe?” Jack asked, but I couldn’t hear him. I dropped my hand holding the phone from my ear. All I could hear were the mans last words.

“Your mother is dead.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Katherine's mom is dead. Alex broke up with Lisa. So much bad luck that it's not even funny.
Next chapter you will find out how Katherine's mother died. Comment on how you think she did . Murdered? Car wreck? Something else?